Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta having issues due to snowy US weather, Thursday 12-7-2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta having issues due to snowy US weather, Thursday 12-7-2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL MM/PM, Hilton Diamond, H5-Star, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
My DEN-ATL originally set for 15:20 MST just left ATL. Arrival ATL now estimated at 1:15... assuming it’s allowed to leave DEN.

Are the chairs in ATL any comfier than they used to be? ��
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by jamiestr
But then you have to fly through CVG!
I prefer to think of it as I get to fly through CVG.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: SM/Marriott/Hilton - Diamond
App is still down but website appears to have full functionality for me.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:02 pm

I have been listening to Atlanta Ground Frequency off and on today. It is taking 30 minutes to de ice a narrow body and almost an hour to de-ice a wide-body. This started around with 11:00 am. departures. Some planes are working on their second 3 hour time out. There are dozens of planes waiting for de-ice and most of them are timing out due to the the 3 Hour rule. Very few planes actually make it to take off. The planes are just sitting around and then heading back to the gate after 3 hours.

Air traffic control is playing a complex chess game moving planes around the field with limited taxiway space. it is very entertaining listening from my warm, home in front of the Christmas Tree. Would not be so entertaining anywhere onboard a plane trying to leave from Atlanta. Would not be surprised if a significant systems meltdown occurs. Good luck to those trying to get where they need to go.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
For those quick to proclaim that "DL should invest in more deicing trucks! This is ridiculous!", I encourage you to look at a satellite image of the Atlanta AIrport. First thing you should notice is the Georgia red clay at the north end of the field in front of the Renaissance. The map doesn't show it, but that area is where Delta just recently (2-3 years ago) constructed several new de-ice pads. Before that, the only pads were in front of Concourse E (2 max I believe).

You can't just de-ice an aircraft anywhere. Specially-trained employees have to use special equipment (de-ice trucks, spotters, marshallers, etc.) on specially-constructed de-ice pads. The EPA requires these special pads because de-ice fluid is harmful to the environment and, without special drainage and recycling systems, would flow right into the local watershed (in ATL's case, the Flint River, which literally runs underneath the airport). That nixes the idea of just de-icing in any random gate that happens to be open or just in the middle of the ramp.

Why not construct new pads? Again, refer to the map above. I challenge you to find an area of acceptable square footage that is easily accessible to taxiways (both to the runway and from the concourses) that isn't already claimed by A) an airline (ie. Delta TOC, whose ramp is full right now with parked aircraft) B) a contractor (ie. Signature Aviation, the FBO that leases the ramp directly to the right of the new de-ice pads), or C) the City of Atlanta, who has reserved most open areas for certain functions (ie. the South Cargo Ramp or the North Cargo Ramp, which is to the right of Signature) or future development (through the ATLNext program).

It's frustrating whenever events like this happen in ATL, but I believe the last time a storm this scale came through was in 2014 with "Snowpocalypse I and II." Before that, people were asking the same questions, and DL's response was to build out the additional de-ice pads in front of the Renaissance. It's simply not worth pouring even more money into ATL de-icing when A) these events occur once or twice a year, if that, and B) there just isn't any space at ATL that isn't already leased, reserved, or planned for future construction.

Unrelated, but I did chuckle when I saw earlier posts ridiculing DL and other airlines for already cancelling flights last night before this arrived...imagine if they had tried to fly a full schedule this morning.

Stay warm and safe out there everyone!
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Considering myself VERY fortunate to have made it home to PBI on the 8:47 am flight out of Atlanta today!
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Seems its snowballing across the US now with missing planes, crews, etc. t could be a lot worse.... Only arrived home about an hour late.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have a flight from LGA to PIT late afternoon tomorrow, snowfall in the city is now scheduled for up to 6 inches. Called the Diamond line to see about an earlier flight, call back in 2:36 minutes at the earliest.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:51 pm

ATL-SNA segment was cancelled, so i rebooked into ONT. Then they went and canceled my flight from AGS-ATL, and now struggling to find another reasonable option.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:24 pm
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
More cancellations tomorrow....hopefully this doesn’t spiral
out control into another crew scheduling nightmare for three days...
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Happy to be flying via SLC tomorrow!
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:59 pm

Hartsfield-Jackson Intl is experiencing delays: inbound flights delayed at their origin an ​​​​​​​average of 10 hours
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally shceduled SFO-ATL-PBI....chenged to SFO-LAX-ATL-PBI and got to LAX.
Rolling delays on LAX-ATL and now logged into DL.dumb to find I have been auto rebooked on United LAX-EWR-PBI in Y (was paid F) where it is supposed to snow 5-8" tomorrow.

Now on hold for Diamond line (~ 1 hour wait) and no options on the app or DL.dumb for other flights.

Serious ... and fail on DL's part.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Hartsfield-Jackson Intl is experiencing delays: inbound flights delayed at their origin an average of 10 hours
Yeah I was about to post about that. In 4 years of system operations (ATC coordinator, pax duty mgr, irrops desk,etc.) and another decade or so of being an enthusiast, I don’t ever recall seeing a GDP that long, anywhere. Especially not a self imposed one. It also runs until 4am ET which is also very unusual. FAA is also reporting KPDK is now closed until Noon ET due to aircraft incident. Tough weather night in ATL...
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:14 pm

Just had my 3rd flight cancellation, hope booking number 4 is the one that sticks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.