Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL to Offer Delta One Service ATL to HNL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to Offer Delta One Service ATL to HNL?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Since when is HNL-SLC on a lie-flat seat? I thought that was seasonal. I flew it two weeks ago and it was the horrible 2x2x2 767.
It changes day to day. Literally. Some weeks it's A330 4 days, horrid short-haul configured 767 other 3 days, for example.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
It was scheduled to be on an A330 (in early March) when I booked it about 2 months prior. Slept quite well. Shudder to think of flying it on a domestic 767.
I survived, but only because I brought a full-size pillow with me and propped myself against the wall of the aircraft to sleep. I couldn't imagine trying to sleep in an aisle seat or the middle section because you have no place to rest your head.
Old May 27, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by btonkid12345

Not sure why anyone would burn miles when fare sales to Hawaii are quite common
I don't know that I have ever seen significant fare sales from my markets. Certainly nothing in the $600 range.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by indufan
I don't know that I have ever seen significant fare sales from my markets. Certainly nothing in the $600 range.
Every month from January to April it seemed the big 3 had $350- $500 roundrips from one another's hubs.

who said $600 was anywhere close to a deal?
Old May 29, 2018, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by indufan
Toronto, Chicago and Washington are seldom more than $600-$800, at least since November when I've organized a couple of corporate events in Hawaii and found everyone's airfares.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA seems to have some attack fares on DL hubs right now (ATL,DTW,MSP,SLC) with $400 roundtrip fares to KOA/OGG/LIH/HNL
Old May 29, 2018, 8:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LBJ
AA seems to have some attack fares on DL hubs right now (ATL,DTW,MSP,SLC) with $400 roundtrip fares to KOA/OGG/LIH/HNL
I would imagine airfares on multiple airlines (as well as hotel rates) for Kona will drop soon because tourism officials are desperate to send the message that the Big Island is open for tourists.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I would imagine airfares on multiple airlines (as well as hotel rates) for Kona will drop soon because tourism officials are desperate to send the message that the Big Island is open for tourists.
I’ve noticed they already are dropping. It’s sad because I love the big island and the volcanoes are more than 100 miles away from most of the resorts there so no threat to lava in that area. I have heard that the air quality isn’t the greatest in the Kona area so I wouldn’t be going around with what the governor is saying that it’s all normal over there and there is no impact from the volcano.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dlandrew
I am booked in D1 on this flight in July. Has anyone flown this route since it became a true D1 routing? Just wondering if it is real D1 or watered down at all.

I don’t mind the 767-400 downgrade from the 330. I’ve flown the 767 enough transatlantic in D1 and am fine with the product. I’ve seen some 777’s working this route here and there. Wouldn’t be crushed if they swapped out.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PM, Hertz PC
Trip Report

There wasn’t much data on this route in D1 since the change occurred this Spring so I thought I would provide a run down of my ATL-HNL experience last week. This was a paid D1 ticket. The good news is it appeared that 2 people were upgraded either at the gate or in the few hours leading up.

I have flown D1 on trans-Atlantic routes, LAX-SYD in each direction, and between JFK and LAX. This flight was not up to D1 standards. Maybe this is the new normal on domestic D1 flights but for a flight time of 9:50, you would think they would give it more of an international experience.

Upon boarding, PDB were offered with FA’s coming down the aisle with trays containing cups of Champaign, cans of Heineken, and Orange Juice. They did accommodate requests for other things. All
drinks were served in plastic cups. Menus were distributed after PDB service with a blank wine page, it just said something along the lines of ask your FA.

Before departure, the flight lead came through taking meal orders. They started at 1A and proceeded down that aisle before stopping at the 6th row and then going around to the other aisle and the starting from the back. The flight number was 837. The crew was ATL based and came across as very surly. I think they were trying to be funny but it didn’t land that way. The gentleman in front of me said that he wanted the salad and not the shrimp starter. The flight lead told him that she was only interested in the main. If he didn’t like the shrimp she said he didn’t need to eat it or look at it but that it was already on the tray.

When service started in the air, the D1 drink carts were brought down the aisle. I asked the FA about the wine selection and there was a lot of confusion. There were 4 bottles on the cart. The FA told me she had 2 Pinot Noirs, a Chardonnay, and another white but they didn’t know what it was. She said that this flight gets the mismatched D1 leftovers from other flights. They might have “a bottle of this and a bottle of that”. I asked what the other White was. The FA held it up, read the label and said “ I have no idea”. It was clearly a red based on the tint. She said that she would open it when someone ordered it and give me a taste. I ended up asking for a glass of Champaign and they said that it was only available on the ground and not in the air. That seemed kind of crazy and just went with the Pinot Noir...which they ran out of soon after but had another to replace it. Mismatches...

The FA’s were pretty hands off until the final pre-arrival snack. Orders were taken at the seat off of a cart. It was basically a domestic first sandwich or chicken orzo.

The plane itself was ok. I really don’t mind the 767-400 set up however they are definitely showing their age. The storage area lining fell out on take off and was loose throughout.

At the end of the day, this flight was nothing to write home about. Even with the 9:50 flight time, Delta is treating it like we have been hearing they are treating other domestic D1 routes.

We we shall see if the return is any better but I am not getting my hopes up.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: DL Plat HH
I had a similar experience with an ATL based crew on my last ATL-HNL flight. They were more interested in what they were going to do when we landed then serving passengers. Got served the pre landing snack/meal around 30 minutes till landing-had to rush to finish.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I just don't get the downgrading of meals on ATL/MSP-HNL. The flights are and have always been full with paid F passengers. It's not like even a quarter of the cabin was upgrades. There's times you can't pay for an F seat a month out. However now that it's D1 (which minus lounge access it basically was before) they've cheaped out. It's sad I'm finding AA and UA meals to be better. It seems they're ignoring what their customers who spend $$$ want. They've kept 777s at 9 across in coach, so I guess that's something.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:15 am
Suspended

There wasn’t much data on this route in D1 since the change occurred this Spring so I thought I would provide a run down of my ATL-HNL experience last week. This was a paid D1 ticket. The good news is it appeared that 2 people were upgraded either at the gate or in the few hours leading up.

I have flown D1 on trans-Atlantic routes, LAX-SYD in each direction, and between JFK and LAX. This flight was not up to D1 standards. Maybe this is the new normal on domestic D1 flights but for a flight time of 9:50, you would think they would give it more of an international experience.

Upon boarding, PDB were offered with FA’s coming down the aisle with trays containing cups of Champaign, cans of Heineken, and Orange Juice. They did accommodate requests for other things. All
drinks were served in plastic cups. Menus were distributed after PDB service with a blank wine page, it just said something along the lines of ask your FA.

Before departure, the flight lead came through taking meal orders. They started at 1A and proceeded down that aisle before stopping at the 6th row and then going around to the other aisle and the starting from the back. The flight number was 837. The crew was ATL based and came across as very surly. I think they were trying to be funny but it didn’t land that way. The gentleman in front of me said that he wanted the salad and not the shrimp starter. The flight lead told him that she was only interested in the main. If he didn’t like the shrimp she said he didn’t need to eat it or look at it but that it was already on the tray.

When service started in the air, the D1 drink carts were brought down the aisle. I asked the FA about the wine selection and there was a lot of confusion. There were 4 bottles on the cart. The FA told me she had 2 Pinot Noirs, a Chardonnay, and another white but they didn’t know what it was. She said that this flight gets the mismatched D1 leftovers from other flights. They might have “a bottle of this and a bottle of that”. I asked what the other White was. The FA held it up, read the label and said “ I have no idea”. It was clearly a red based on the tint. She said that she would open it when someone ordered it and give me a taste. I ended up asking for a glass of Champaign and they said that it was only available on the ground and not in the air. That seemed kind of crazy and just went with the Pinot Noir...which they ran out of soon after but had another to replace it. Mismatches...

The FA’s were pretty hands off until the final pre-arrival snack. Orders were taken at the seat off of a cart. It was basically a domestic first sandwich or chicken orzo.

The plane itself was ok. I really don’t mind the 767-400 set up however they are definitely showing their age. The storage area lining fell out on take off and was loose throughout.

At the end of the day, this flight was nothing to write home about. Even with the 9:50 flight time, Delta is treating it like we have been hearing they are treating other domestic D1 routes.

We we shall see if the return is any better but I am not getting my hopes up.
It probably wasn't champagne. If you were lucky it was an Italian sparking wine, but the pre-departure "champagne" for a while was a very, very cheap Spanish sparking wine. There have also been some reports of Delta serving $4–6 sparkling wine from Andre, a California brand.

If you wanted "champagne" and they claimed they didn't have any you could have ordered the single-serving bottle of the prosecco (aka Italian sparkling wine). Delta has served La Marca and Avissi or in all cabins (mostly by request since it isn't widely publicized) since last year. Some flights have both brands while other flights have one or the other. Both are perfectly drinkable.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I just don't get the downgrading of meals on ATL/MSP-HNL. The flights are and have always been full with paid F passengers. It's not like even a quarter of the cabin was upgrades. There's times you can't pay for an F seat a month out. However now that it's D1 (which minus lounge access it basically was before) they've cheaped out. It's sad I'm finding AA and UA meals to be better. It seems they're ignoring what their customers who spend $$$ want. They've kept 777s at 9 across in coach, so I guess that's something.
And the paid airfare for Delta One for MSP/ATL–HNL is typically between $2,300–$3,200, at least that's the price range I've seen. That's not a "cheap" airfare.

I prefer flying through Los Angeles or Seattle to Hawaii just because the flight timings work better, particularly if you want a full final day in Hawaii. Even the domestic first-class DTW–LAX–HNL is often around $2,000-ish.

I don't know if it's valid routing anymore, but my colleague has done DTW–NRT–HNL before for about the same as DTW–LAX–HNL. I don't know if was a single ticket or separate tickets. I've flown home from Asia through NRT and HNL before in Delta One business-class for less than the price of Wherever–NRT–DTW.

I re-qualify for 2019 Delta diamond next month. I'm contemplating switching to Alaska or United for the rest of 2018 with a status match. United actually seems to be trying, though they have made some disappointing cutbacks to the new-ish Polaris business-class product. However, they're finally starting to get the new configuration on more aircraft.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: DL GM

Well, from reading this review and other previous comments, ATL-HNL went from "D1 lite" on the 330-300 to actual D1 on the 767-400 starting in April, but domestic D1 was seemingly downgraded around the same time to something that appears to be below or at best no better than what "D1 lite" was previously. Also the 764 is now scheduled even during the Christmas holidays - a few months ago there were some weeks then that switched back to the 330.

At least the D1 fares have come down - even for December dates I'm seeing $2400 which is less than they started out asking when they first went to D1.

As an aside, the meals in Y on this route have been seriously downgraded since the special ATL-HNL menus were done away with. At this point I would rather they just go back to buy on board but cater enough food to meet the demand on this flight - what they are serving now is pretty bad. Some of those buy on board options were decent.

Last edited by chrisj85; Jul 10, 2018 at 5:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.