Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL to Offer Delta One Service ATL to HNL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Over the last few weeks, I have been monitoring fare fro ATL to HNL for 2018. A week or so ago, I noticed something weird going on with the seat map for DL837 (either not available or showing no available seats). This flight has previously been listed as an A330 who the lie flats. Today, I noticed that this flight is now listed as a 767-400 with lie flats and is being marketed as Delta One Service. Has anyone heard anything about these change or is this possibly a glitch?

Last edited by UKFan78; Nov 20, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Yes, it's happening on 4/1/18, MSP/JFK-HNL will get it too. Comp UPG's for elites too.
hi55us and UKFan78 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Yes, it's happening on 4/1/18, MSP/JFK-HNL will get it too. Comp UPG's for elites too.
Looks like the price is also going up, while giving free upgrades...with the new above market pricing (vs. UA, AA lie-flats with better service/food) may be the flights won't be fully sold out in J 2+ weeks prior to flight for many/most flights, thus actually having some be able to get an upgrade.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Thanks. I posted this and then saw mention of I think in the other thread. I am behind!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
The route already had service that was almost Delta One, with just a few differences (primarily a lower level of food service), so this is not a huge change but is a good thing.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Looks like it will also feature those premium price e-fares... Just great!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Yes sir, and Go CATS!
UKFan78 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: DL GM
This route is downgauged (downgraded) from 333 to 764 beginning on Sunday March 25. Goes from the excellent 333 herringbone seats to the obsolete 764 Vantage seats - ugh. This removes just about the only good premium cabin to/from HNL. Now that we are getting the 764 on this route, it will probably stay that way for years until it is the last route in the DL system with this aircraft as it is being retired. May be similar to the case of the old 75V config - those were horrendous and flew almost all Hawaii routes before they were finally retired.

I don't know that going to D1 when we already had close to D1-type service on this route anyway is a good thing, when the price is a significant downgrade in the quality of the premium cabin.

DL will have a hard time selling these inferior Vantage seats at the price levels they were getting for the 333 cabin - so there may indeed be a fair number of upgrades available on day of departure.

Negative impact to Economy Comfort cabin also - goes from 40 seats in the 333 to 28 seats in the 764. And the B/F aisle seats have the equipment box underneath which hurts legroom.

I am surprised that DL is removing 47 seats from this route - every HNL-ATL or VV flight I have been on has been full on the 333. I wonder if they are going to add a second daily flight for peak seasons, or if those last 40 seats were usually filled by non-revs?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Main cabin is cheaper than Basic Economy?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmptyKim
Main cabin is cheaper than Basic Economy?
This is not that unusual. Basic Economy fares tend to have more restrictions on fare combinations than the corresponding main cabin fares. If you actually click through on the fare options, you will see that the cheaper main cabin fare involves a broken fare combination on the return flights. The outbound ATL-LAX-HNL fare is a single XEWNLXML fare, but the cheaper return flights involve a broken fare -- KA0NHOMQ on HNL-LAX and VEVNA0MB for LAX-ATL. There are BE fares corresponding to those main cabin fares, but those BE fares are more restrictive when it comes to END-ON-END combinations, while the main cabin fares are less so. Here's the relevant fare combination sections --

VEVNA0MB main cabin fare
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED

VEVNA0BA basic economy fare
END ON END MUST BE AN A-B-A COMBINATION

The A-B-A business means the BE fare can only be booked as ATL-LAX-ATL (A-B-A) and can't be combined with another fare to form a routing like HNL-LAX-ATL (which is not A-B-A routing).

So the only valid BE fares are single fare options with XEWNLXBQ for ATL-LAX-HNL and TEWNHXBQ for the HNL-LAX-ATL return. The TWENHXBQ BE fare is more expensive than the KA0NHOMQ and VEVNA0MB main cabin fare combo which leads to the total ticket cost being somewhat more.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 21, 2017 at 9:39 am
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by chrisj85
This route is downgauged (downgraded) from 333 to 764 beginning on Sunday March 25. Goes from the excellent 333 herringbone seats to the obsolete 764 Vantage seats - ugh. This removes just about the only good premium cabin to/from HNL. Now that we are getting the 764 on this route, it will probably stay that way for years until it is the last route in the DL system with this aircraft as it is being retired. May be similar to the case of the old 75V config - those were horrendous and flew almost all Hawaii routes before they were finally retired.

I don't know that going to D1 when we already had close to D1-type service on this route anyway is a good thing, when the price is a significant downgrade in the quality of the premium cabin.

DL will have a hard time selling these inferior Vantage seats at the price levels they were getting for the 333 cabin - so there may indeed be a fair number of upgrades available on day of departure.

Negative impact to Economy Comfort cabin also - goes from 40 seats in the 333 to 28 seats in the 764. And the B/F aisle seats have the equipment box underneath which hurts legroom.

I am surprised that DL is removing 47 seats from this route - every HNL-ATL or VV flight I have been on has been full on the 333. I wonder if they are going to add a second daily flight for peak seasons, or if those last 40 seats were usually filled by non-revs?

While I agree with you that the A330 is superior to the 767, I think you are being a bit extreme. The 767 J seats are still considered excellent for a day time flight, and plenty of people still appreciate them for the ability to sleep on a flat bed, despite the issues with the footwell, storage, etc. In terms of Y, the differences between the A330 and the 767 are negligible. Both offer 2 seats on each side which are great for couples, and there is only one middle seat per row--in fact, many people on FT say that the 767 is their favorite Y cabin. DL could just as well have gone the other direction and pulled D1 service from HNL entirely, and you'd find yourself connecting in LAX to a 757 domestic F cabin.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Retrofitting the 18 77Ls and 777s for Delta One suites next year may be leading to aircraft assignments based more on availability/utilization than avg fare optimization. Pull a 777 out of rotation, sub a 333, and then a 764 moves up where longest range isn't needed.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:14 am

2 questions:

1. Can we now use RUC for advance clearance to d1 on this route?
2. How late in the season does msp-hnl go until, is it here to stay all summer?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by UKFan78

Over the last few weeks, I have been monitoring fare fro ATL to HNL for 2018. A week or so ago, I noticed something weird going on with the seat map for DL837 (either not available or showing no available seats). This flight has previously been listed as an A330 who the lie flats. Today, I noticed that this flight is now listed as a 767-400 with lie flats and is being marketed as Delta One Service. Has anyone heard anything about these change or is this possibly a glitch?
For all practical purposes, it is already a D1 light route. Amenity kits, Westin duvets and pillows are already provided, so the only difference will really be Sky Club access and slightly better meals.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
While I agree with you that the A330 is superior to the 767, I think you are being a bit extreme. The 767 J seats are still considered excellent for a day time flight, and plenty of people still appreciate them for the ability to sleep on a flat bed, despite the issues with the footwell, storage, etc. In terms of Y, the differences between the A330 and the 767 are negligible. Both offer 2 seats on each side which are great for couples, and there is only one middle seat per row--in fact, many people on FT say that the 767 is their favorite Y cabin. DL could just as well have gone the other direction and pulled D1 service from HNL entirely, and you'd find yourself connecting in LAX to a 757 domestic F cabin.
I guess it depends on your perspective. I'm 6'4", so for me the 764 J Vantage seats are not a hard product I would pay anything extra for, as my feet are jammed into the footwell in a very uncomfortable manner. The reduction of the W cabin from 40 to 28 seats is also a negative, plus all of the B/F aisle seats in Y are uncomfortable for me due to the presence of the equipment box, which the 333 does not have.

Given how close the existing HNL-ATL J service already is to D1 anyway, this feels like a downgrade to me, with a clearly inferior hard product and only slight improvements to the soft product.

Last edited by chrisj85; Nov 21, 2017 at 3:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.