Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL to Offer Delta One Service ATL to HNL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to Offer Delta One Service ATL to HNL?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by GaryD
You mean, JFK-HNL presuming the route returns in December 2018 as usual.

I don't think any other airline is offering a Business Class product between continental US and Hawaii.
many airlines offer business class product between continental us and hawaii. HA offers the best one from JFK to HNL and the best economy product too.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bennos
Classic example of moving equipment to serve the TATL market, then redeploying during the summer lull. Given HNL flights sell for ~$2-3k and TATL flights for ~$5-7k (excepting sale periods) this isn't really a surprise.

1. The seats are fully flat.
2. There will be no physical changes to the plane for D1 service, it's the soft product (food, lounge access, etc) that get improved (and only slightly as already reported, since some of the soft product was already deployed on these routes).
3. Yes, the screens are smaller than the A330. However, they have up to date software (but a smaller library than the A330).
4. I believe so.
It appears as though the equipment for the summer months has changed back to the 764 again.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by tphuang
many airlines offer business class product between continental us and hawaii. HA offers the best one from JFK to HNL and the best economy product too.
Hawaiian's product is hardly the best. For starters, the configuration is 2x2x2, which would have been fine 10 years ago but not today. It also isn't competitive, as Hawaiian is using that configuration on all of its long-haul flights to Asia and the Pacific. Second, the catering and ground services -- like the lounge -- are big disappointments.

Yes, there's a novelty -- perhaps romanticism -- about flying Hawaii's flag-carrier to Hawaii, but it is not the "best."
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Hawaiian's product is hardly the best. For starters, the configuration is 2x2x2, which would have been fine 10 years ago but not today. It also isn't competitive, as Hawaiian is using that configuration on all of its long-haul flights to Asia and the Pacific. Second, the catering and ground services -- like the lounge -- are big disappointments.

Yes, there's a novelty -- perhaps romanticism -- about flying Hawaii's flag-carrier to Hawaii, but it is not the "best."
Although 2x2x2 if I remember the window seat still has direct access to aisle. The aisle seats foot area doesn't go all the way to seat in front.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Although 2x2x2 if I remember the window seat still has direct access to aisle. The aisle seats foot area doesn't go all the way to seat in front.
There's, for lack of a better word, a narrow alley or passageway for you to walk through, but it's pretty small. Beautiful interior and nice romanticism with flying Hawaiian to Hawaii, but the business-class product is far from the "best." It isn't even competitive, especially on Asia and Pacific routes.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:38 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

He didn't say it was "the best" in general, he said it was the best from HNL-JFK.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ngl1020
First, THANK YOU for all of this information.I have been reading through all the posts once I saw the headline the other day that Delta was making Delta One service from ATL-HNL and began to investigate what that meant to us for our March 2018 trip to HNL!

6 of us are flying First Class on the ATL-HNL (differn origin for some) in late March, returning early April. We booked over the summer when the configuration was the A330. We flew this route 2 years ago and really enjoyed the 330. When I saw the headline re Delta One I pulled up our reservations and noticed the new 764 config. Then I googled for some photos. Not impressed and very concerned after reading these posts. My husband is a Diamond Medallion so we typically opt for DL.

I have some questions I am hoping you all can help me with just to get a better "feel" for what to expect. At this point, with a 6 of us in the family already booked not sure what can be done but I like to be prepared:
1. Do the seats fully lay flat? Saw some posts from a few years ago that the top part did not go all the way down.
2. Our flight out is not marked Delta One but our return is. What exactly is the difference? I can't imagine any real changes to the plane in one week!
3. Are the video screens as small as they appear? They look TINY compared to A330.
4. Do they play video games? Kids loved that feature
5. Anyone have updated photos of first in this config to share?

I am not being ungrateful as flying first will be better than coach as other people commented but I bought the tic knowing what to expect re the A330. Feel a bit deceived(knowing there is no guarantee re config) and less enthusiastic about it all. Never received any communication fromDL about it which I think is a miss on their part too.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!!!!

I really don't think you need to be concerned. The change from first class to Delta One is an upgrade. Period. It has nothing to do with the plane they are flying. The biggest difference that this will mean on this route is that now all first class pax will have lounge access and the onboard meals will be better (mutli-course instead of all at once, with higher quality food and drink).

In terms of the seats, I really think you will enjoy the flight. These are lay flat seats that all have direct aisle access. You will be provided with premium Westin bedding. The TV screens are smaller but they are not tiny. They will be just fine for your flight. There will be games for the kids--the content will be nearly identical. The A330 seats are certainly a little bit more comfortable, but I don't think the difference is as dramatic as some on here claim. Note that the seats on both planes have the same width and about the same pitch (distance between the seat and the seat in front of it). The big drawback of the 767 is that the foot area was not well designed and some find it too small, and they don't have much storage space for personal items. There will be ample overhead bin space, and if you can snag the first row in the cabin, these have larger footwells.

In any case, I really want to assure you that you are flying one of Delta's premium products and that the aircraft change should not have a major impact nor it is cause for worry. Have a great time in Hawaii.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Have a great time in Hawaii.
I agree, but just watch out for all the homeless. The parks and bus stops smell like urine and trash because they've become homeless encampments. When I was in Honolulu in June the homeless were even sleeping on the steps of the state capitol.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Not really. Unless the person sitting at the aisle is very short, when they are sleeping you will still need to step over their feet...meaning that only the middle two seats can sleep undisturbed.

The HA A330 J/F seats are better than they seem, and surprisingly while so narrow it works and is functional (think as if the NW A330 World Business Class 2x2x2 angled lie flats were true flats; it's somewhat similar to that), but you really have to stay away from the two side 2 seats if you are planning to sleep undisturbed. The service though, typical of HA, is slow, and irrops handling and CS is horrendous. HA loves to cancel flights and blame it on "weather" while all other airline flights are operating just fine, then reschedule it for novel times like 2am departure. If you plan to get there on time, best to avoid HA, esp. during winter months and storm season. Oh and the IFE is a joke, just a bulky tablet with very few movies (mostly 10+ years old - as HA seems to license mostly the cheapest/oldest movies and has very few recent ones), that is given to you late and taken away early.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
I agree, but just watch out for all the homeless. The parks and bus stops smell like urine and trash because they've become homeless encampments. When I was in Honolulu in June the homeless were even sleeping on the steps of the state capitol.
Oh, been like that for the last few years. Oahu has, by far, the largest proportion (to the population) of homeless anywhere in the US. Many other states/counties will buy their homeless one-way tickets to HNL, thus shipping off their problem populace and as their way to managing with it.

It is best not to go out at dawn, dusk, and never after dark here, and be mindful of your surroundings (stabbings, theft and such are very common) and avoid going alone, now practically almost everywhere like that (not just limited to downtown, Chinatown and the leeward side as it used to be until a few years ago).
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Oh, been like that for the last few years. Oahu has, by far, the largest proportion (to the population) of homeless anywhere in the US. Many other states/counties will buy their homeless one-way tickets to HNL, thus shipping off their problem populace and as their way to managing with it.

It is best not to go out at dawn, dusk, and never after dark here, and be mindful of your surroundings (stabbings, theft and such are very common) and avoid going alone, now practically almost everywhere like that (not just limited to downtown, Chinatown and the leeward side as it used to be until a few years ago).
Great. So why visit?

Hawaii's tourism industry will collapse if any of these vagabonds attacks a Japanese tourist. The Japanese will go elsewhere.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:21 pm

Great. So why visit?

Hawaii's tourism industry will collapse if any of these vagabonds attacks a Japanese tourist. The Japanese will go elsewhere.
That's an excellent point and what I think also, yet it's something that anyone from the government here is unwilling to talk about (and also, by driving to its underground parking and avoiding going out from the capitol at all, those who work in the capitol pretend not to notice what is happening quite literally on their doorsteps). This problem here has gotten much worse over the last several years - very noticeably so (far too often you have to cross the street to continue walking, as the sidewalk is completely blocked, or you have a legitimate fear for your physical safety - now all over town and in areas that until recently were completely safe, and now also including at peak business hours when more foot traffic is out).

Most tourists just stay within Waikiki, and if so then they don't really see it (though even on the way from the airport the Waikiki, the rows of tents beside the road are hard to miss). Going anywhere else though, it's hard to miss.

As for "why visit?", the question really should be "where to visit?". Personally I think that any of the other islands have much more to offer, are less crowded, more natural, than Oahu. So, it's best to visit one of the other islands, Maui if you like big resorts and that type of touristy vibe (without the homeless of Oahu), Big Island for the most variety of every imaginable outdoor activity (where else can you ski and swim on the same day, and drive from a snowy mountain top to the beach with warm water in under two hours?), Molokai for seclusion, Lanai for high-end resorts (but also if you go off-road, some great spots where most likely no one else will go the whole day), Kauai for the "mini grand canyon" and the most lush green of any island.

Last edited by RealHJ; Jan 3, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:47 pm
Suspended

That's an excellent point and what I think also, yet it's something that anyone from the government here is unwilling to talk about (and also, by driving to its underground parking and avoiding going out from the capitol at all, those who work in the capitol pretend not to notice what is happening quite literally on their doorsteps). This problem here has gotten much worse over the last several years - very noticeably so (far too often you have to cross the street to continue walking, as the sidewalk is completely blocked, or you have a legitimate fear for your physical safety - now all over town and in areas that until recently were completely safe, and now also including at peak business hours when more foot traffic is out).

Most tourists just stay within Waikiki, and if so then they don't really see it (though even on the way from the airport the Waikiki, the rows of tents beside the road are hard to miss). Going anywhere else though, it's hard to miss.

As for "why visit?", the question really should be "where to visit?". Personally I think that any of the other islands have much more to offer, are less crowded, more natural, than Oahu. So, it's best to visit one of the other islands, Maui if you like big resorts and that type of touristy vibe (without the homeless of Oahu), Big Island for the most variety of every imaginable outdoor activity (where else can you ski and swim on the same day, and drive from a snowy mountain top to the beach with warm water in under two hours?), Molokai for seclusion, Lanai for high-end resorts (but also if you go off-road, some great spots where most likely no one else will go the whole day), Kauai for the "mini grand canyon" and the most lush green of any island.
I keep saying I'll never go back but I do because work takes me to Honolulu once or twice a year. I've yet to get to the other islands. I have driven Oahu from the North Shore to Diamond Head. I really liked the North Shore. Waikiki reminds me of Las Vegas, except even the famed Waikiki Beach is occupied by the homeless.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:04 pm

Waikiki reminds me of Las Vegas, except even the famed Waikiki Beach is occupied by the homeless.
Really? Though I live here, I haven't been to Waikiki in years (I don't like tourist traps). I thought it was at least immune from the problem. I guess not.

But in Las Vegas it's just as bad if not worse, I am quite sure. Homeless, drunk and passed out Mickey Mouse, etc. - there you really see it all.

About Hawaii, though, if you are traveling here from work, I suggest you take a few extra days and head out to one of the other islands. It's very different from Oahu, and each island is unique and is rather unlike any other, with a lot to see on do on each.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Many other states/counties will buy their homeless one-way tickets to HNL, thus shipping off their problem populace and as their way to managing with it.
).

This is a myth.

People in lots of places all over the country, especially warm weather climates, claim the same thing (Florida, CA, AZ, etc). It's all a myth. There's no grand plan to fly around homeless people.

I used to work as a case manager for the homeless, so I have some insight on this. The only program that I ever came across that sent homeless people out of state was a program to buy bus tickets to send them to live with relatives. This program is called Homeward Bound and has very limited funds and strict rules. In order to qualify, they have to have a relative with a home who agrees to house them for free until they can get on their feet. Each and every time I used this program, it was to send someone to legit place. I remember buying bus tickets to places like Illinois, Mississippi and Oregon. Maybe, maybe, if someone had housing available to them in Hawaii an organization might be able to pull together funds for airfare, but this would be highly exceptional and rare because there's just not the money for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.