Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Big news: Medallion upgrades soon available for all domestic Delta One flights

Big news: Medallion upgrades soon available for all domestic Delta One flights

Old Nov 20, 17, 8:09 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,233
Big news: Medallion upgrades soon available for all domestic Delta One flights

Per a Delta press release:

The expansion of domestic Delta One comes with an industry-leading perk: Starting April 1, 2018, Delta Sky Miles Medallion Members will be eligible for unlimited day-of-departure Complimentary Upgrades to the Delta One cabin on all domestic flights, including Hawaii. This is the airline’s latest move to simplify its SkyMiles program while making it more rewarding for customers.

I suddenly feel the need to fly from Boston to Los Angeles...

http://news.delta.com/delta-one-serv...mestic-markets
hnewman, AKC6, Grouchy and 5 others like this.
jrkmsp is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 8:13 am
  #2  
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PIT
Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Posts: 15,408
Get outa here!!! I'll hafto check my calendar - - - Is today April 1?!?!?
davetravels is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 8:17 am
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: RDU
Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Posts: 2,341
Yep posted over at the points guy too, yay for a POSITIVE SM Change!!!!

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/fre...stic-upgrades/
vincentharris is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 8:20 am
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Look up - On a ✈ DELTA ✈ jet NOW!
Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Posts: 4,178
Originally Posted by jrkmsp View Post
Per a Delta press release:

The expansion of domestic Delta One comes with an industry-leading perk: Starting April 1, 2018, Delta Sky Miles Medallion Members will be eligible for unlimited day-of-departure Complimentary Upgrades to the Delta One cabin on all domestic flights, including Hawaii. This is the airline’s latest move to simplify its SkyMiles program while making it more rewarding for customers.

I suddenly feel the need to fly from Boston to Los Angeles...

http://news.delta.com/delta-one-serv...mestic-markets
Best parts are:
About Complimentary UpgradesThe domestic Delta One upgrade process will align with the airline’s domestic First Class process, except upgrades will be awarded in the hours leading up to the flight, as opposed to beginning several days ahead of time. Medallion Members will be eligible for Complimentary Upgrades in:
  • All U.S. 50 Delta One cabins on the day of departure
  • All First Class cabins worldwide (beginning up to 120 hours/5 days prior to departure depending on Medallion Tier)
  • All Delta Comfort+ seats worldwide (beginning at booking a ticket depending on Medallion Tier)
  • Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members may also use Regional Upgrade Certificates on any flight that is eligible for Complimentary Upgrades, including all First Class and U.S. 50 Delta One flights. These certificates are available through Delta SkyMiles’ industry-exclusive Choice Benefits program.
Renes Points is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 8:24 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 339
Letís be honest itís more of a PR move than anything...donít get me wrong itís great, but Id venture to guess even DM/PM wonít get many of these complimentary upgrades without an RUC, esp if they only begin the day of departure

Nonetheless, thumbs up DL. Wonder if UA or AA will respond

Also: does this mean MSP-HNL and ATL-HNL will now be upgrade eligible for all (the latter apparently becoming D1)?
jk88usa is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 8:26 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Now in SLC
Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Posts: 3,083
Wow...jetBlue Mint is making Delta make some serious customer-friendly moves! Love it!
laptoptravel and wxman22 like this.
LoganFlyer is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 8:31 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Posts: 2,578
Originally Posted by jk88usa View Post
Let’s be honest it’s more of a PR move than anything...don’t get me wrong it’s great, but Id venture to guess even DM/PM won’t get many of these complimentary upgrades without an RUC, esp if they only begin the day of departure

Nonetheless, thumbs up DL. Wonder if UA or AA will respond

Also: does this mean MSP-HNL and ATL-HNL will now be upgrade eligible for all (the latter apparently becoming D1)?
I admittedly have no idea how transcon upgrades on UA work - but AA already does this. The food is similar (and with DL's recent size/quality decreases this past year) but generally the service on DL is slightly better/more consistent. So no response needed from AA - this is DL catching up - but happy to finally see it. Plus, DOD upgrades mean any upgrades will go to DMs first. [Are they already starting this? Given the other thread about D1 upgrades for a recent JFK-LAX flight, with 3/4 on the list upgraded).

What about companion upgrades - anyone heard anything about companions on the D1 routes?

Certain busy routes may not see upgrades - but others may have half the cabin upgraded. Either way, it is a positive change for Medallions (for once).
btonkid12345 is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 8:32 am
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 48,712
For the most part, people will still UG using a cert. Where this comes in handy is for those at a hub where there is a misconnect on an inbound for others. That opens last minute D1/F and a couple of people will get lucky. Don't think that I would be betting on one of these clearing on anything long haul-ish.
Often1 is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 8:34 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 339
Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
I admittedly have no idea how transcon upgrades on UA work - but AA already does this. The food is similar (and with DL's recent size/quality decreases this past year) but generally the service on DL is slightly better/more consistent. So no response needed from AA - this is DL catching up - but happy to finally see it. Plus, DOD upgrades mean any upgrades will go to DMs first. [Are they already starting this? Given the other thread about D1 upgrades for a recent JFK-LAX flight, with 3/4 on the list upgraded)..
I could very well be wrong but doesnít AA only complimentary upgrade to ďBusinessĒ (the 2nd tier cabin) on their 321Ts? If thatís the case DL is getting ahead, but as I admit I never fly AA transcon
jk88usa is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 8:37 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Posts: 2,578
Originally Posted by jk88usa View Post
I could very well be wrong but doesnít AA only complimentary upgrade to ďBusinessĒ (the 2nd tier cabin) on their 321Ts? If thatís the case DL is getting ahead, but as I admit I never fly AA transcon
Technically correct, as AA offers three class (excluding MCE) transcon. But, I see D1 as a hybrid and if you just look at hard product, the 757-200 2-2 config in DL1 is the same as AA's "business." It's just AA's first that is usually 1-1. I still see it as DL catching up because previously, DMs on DL (who have higher qualification requirements that EXPs on AA) had to sit in C+ as best possible upgrade on these routes. EXPs were eligible for complimentary upgrades to lie flat seats!

///

How does this jive with the recent SDC change to exclude D1? If the route is eligible for a complimentary upgrade now the SDC change doesn't make much sense.
btonkid12345 is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 8:42 am
  #11  
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PIT
Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Posts: 15,408
Someone posted recently, that, they're constantly reducing benefits, and asked whether or not they ever ADD any benefits . . . .

Well . . . HERE YA' GO!

silverthief2 and jamiestr like this.
davetravels is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 8:51 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: ATL
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 32
Being ATL based I'm happy to see ATL-HNL get proper D1 service on the non-stop.
UKFan78 and jamiestr like this.
gt5889a is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 8:53 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,233
Originally Posted by jk88usa View Post
Letís be honest itís more of a PR move than anything...donít get me wrong itís great, but Id venture to guess even DM/PM wonít get many of these complimentary upgrades without an RUC, esp if they only begin the day of departure

Nonetheless, thumbs up DL. Wonder if UA or AA will respond

Also: does this mean MSP-HNL and ATL-HNL will now be upgrade eligible for all (the latter apparently becoming D1)?
Yes, per the press release, MSP/ATL/JFK(seasonal)-HNL all become Delta One and complimentary UG eligible.
jrkmsp is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 8:59 am
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: RDU
Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Posts: 2,341
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
Someone posted recently, that, they're constantly reducing benefits, and asked whether or not they ever ADD any benefits . . . .

Well . . . HERE YA' GO!

Isnt the person who posted named "everybody"
davetravels and jonathanbak like this.
vincentharris is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 9:15 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
Posts: 3,339
Originally Posted by jk88usa View Post
I could very well be wrong but doesnít AA only complimentary upgrade to ďBusinessĒ (the 2nd tier cabin) on their 321Ts? If thatís the case DL is getting ahead, but as I admit I never fly AA transcon
AA flies three class (F/J/Y) planes on the route. The J class is equivalent to Delta One on the 757.
ty97 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: