Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Big news: Medallion upgrades soon available for all domestic Delta One flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

Per a Delta press release:

The expansion of domestic Delta One comes with an industry-leading perk: Starting April 1, 2018, Delta Sky Miles Medallion Members will be eligible for unlimited day-of-departure Complimentary Upgrades to the Delta One cabin on all domestic flights, including Hawaii. This is the airline’s latest move to simplify its SkyMiles program while making it more rewarding for customers.

I suddenly feel the need to fly from Boston to Los Angeles...

http://news.delta.com/delta-one-serv...mestic-markets
hnewman, AKC6, Grouchy and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:13 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Get outa here!!! I'll hafto check my calendar - - - Is today April 1?!?!?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Yep posted over at the points guy too, yay for a POSITIVE SM Change!!!!

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/fre...stic-upgrades/
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Per a Delta press release:

The expansion of domestic Delta One comes with an industry-leading perk: Starting April 1, 2018, Delta Sky Miles Medallion Members will be eligible for unlimited day-of-departure Complimentary Upgrades to the Delta One cabin on all domestic flights, including Hawaii. This is the airline’s latest move to simplify its SkyMiles program while making it more rewarding for customers.

I suddenly feel the need to fly from Boston to Los Angeles...

http://news.delta.com/delta-one-serv...mestic-markets
Best parts are:
About Complimentary UpgradesThe domestic Delta One upgrade process will align with the airline’s domestic First Class process, except upgrades will be awarded in the hours leading up to the flight, as opposed to beginning several days ahead of time. Medallion Members will be eligible for Complimentary Upgrades in:
  • All U.S. 50 Delta One cabins on the day of departure
  • All First Class cabins worldwide (beginning up to 120 hours/5 days prior to departure depending on Medallion Tier)
  • All Delta Comfort+ seats worldwide (beginning at booking a ticket depending on Medallion Tier)
  • Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members may also use Regional Upgrade Certificates on any flight that is eligible for Complimentary Upgrades, including all First Class and U.S. 50 Delta One flights. These certificates are available through Delta SkyMiles’ industry-exclusive Choice Benefits program.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:24 am

Let’s be honest it’s more of a PR move than anything...don’t get me wrong it’s great, but Id venture to guess even DM/PM won’t get many of these complimentary upgrades without an RUC, esp if they only begin the day of departure

Nonetheless, thumbs up DL. Wonder if UA or AA will respond

Also: does this mean MSP-HNL and ATL-HNL will now be upgrade eligible for all (the latter apparently becoming D1)?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Wow...jetBlue Mint is making Delta make some serious customer-friendly moves! Love it!
laptoptravel and wxman22 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jk88usa
Let’s be honest it’s more of a PR move than anything...don’t get me wrong it’s great, but Id venture to guess even DM/PM won’t get many of these complimentary upgrades without an RUC, esp if they only begin the day of departure

Also: does this mean MSP-HNL and ATL-HNL will now be upgrade eligible for all (the latter apparently becoming D1)?
I admittedly have no idea how transcon upgrades on UA work - but AA already does this. The food is similar (and with DL's recent size/quality decreases this past year) but generally the service on DL is slightly better/more consistent. So no response needed from AA - this is DL catching up - but happy to finally see it. Plus, DOD upgrades mean any upgrades will go to DMs first. [Are they already starting this? Given the other thread about D1 upgrades for a recent JFK-LAX flight, with 3/4 on the list upgraded).

What about companion upgrades - anyone heard anything about companions on the D1 routes?

Certain busy routes may not see upgrades - but others may have half the cabin upgraded. Either way, it is a positive change for Medallions (for once).
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For the most part, people will still UG using a cert. Where this comes in handy is for those at a hub where there is a misconnect on an inbound for others. That opens last minute D1/F and a couple of people will get lucky. Don't think that I would be betting on one of these clearing on anything long haul-ish.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I admittedly have no idea how transcon upgrades on UA work - but AA already does this. The food is similar (and with DL's recent size/quality decreases this past year) but generally the service on DL is slightly better/more consistent. So no response needed from AA - this is DL catching up - but happy to finally see it. Plus, DOD upgrades mean any upgrades will go to DMs first. [Are they already starting this? Given the other thread about D1 upgrades for a recent JFK-LAX flight, with 3/4 on the list upgraded)..
I could very well be wrong but doesn’t AA only complimentary upgrade to “Business” (the 2nd tier cabin) on their 321Ts? If that’s the case DL is getting ahead, but as I admit I never fly AA transcon
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
I could very well be wrong but doesn’t AA only complimentary upgrade to “Business” (the 2nd tier cabin) on their 321Ts? If that’s the case DL is getting ahead, but as I admit I never fly AA transcon
Technically correct, as AA offers three class (excluding MCE) transcon. But, I see D1 as a hybrid and if you just look at hard product, the 757-200 2-2 config in DL1 is the same as AA's "business." It's just AA's first that is usually 1-1. I still see it as DL catching up because previously, DMs on DL (who have higher qualification requirements that EXPs on AA) had to sit in C+ as best possible upgrade on these routes. EXPs were eligible for complimentary upgrades to lie flat seats!

///

How does this jive with the recent SDC change to exclude D1? If the route is eligible for a complimentary upgrade now the SDC change doesn't make much sense.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:42 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Someone posted recently, that, they're constantly reducing benefits, and asked whether or not they ever ADD any benefits . . . .

Well . . . HERE YA' GO!

silverthief2 and jamiestr like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: DL DM
Being ATL based I'm happy to see ATL-HNL get proper D1 service on the non-stop.
UKFan78 and jamiestr like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

Yes, per the press release, MSP/ATL/JFK(seasonal)-HNL all become Delta One and complimentary UG eligible.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by davetravels
Someone posted recently, that, they're constantly reducing benefits, and asked whether or not they ever ADD any benefits . . . .

Well . . . HERE YA' GO!

Isnt the person who posted named "everybody"
davetravels and jonathanbak like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
AA flies three class (F/J/Y) planes on the route. The J class is equivalent to Delta One on the 757.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.