Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta downgrading from business to premium-economy on some TATL routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta downgrading from business to premium-economy on some TATL routes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Seems strange to me that they would create another subfleet of equip that ends up only being usable on these routes...
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:00 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by rylan
Seems strange to me that they would create another subfleet of equip that ends up only being usable on these routes...
If I understand correctly they're not creating a new subfleet -- the plan is to fly domestic F configs on these routes and market it as PE/PS?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak
If I understand correctly they're not creating a new subfleet -- the plan is to fly domestic F configs on these routes and market it as PE/PS?
That is also how I am understanding it, but right now they are pushing this particular hard product hard as being what PS is, so I wonder how they will spin that?

Why not just call it business class like they do with south of the border flights?

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...m-economy.html
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sky303
Fake news. The new PS seat has a legrest and significantly more recline than any Y seat you'll find. The same seat is in use in W products across many airlines (CX is even on the 350 in the same exact config).
They were complaining about the width. The width is shameful for a premium product.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
That is also how I am understanding it, but right now they are pushing this particular hard product hard as being what PS is, so I wonder how they will spin that?

Why not just call it business class like they do with south of the border flights?

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...m-economy.html
They were. Delta was occasionally flying domestic-configured 757s to Iceland before this change, but the price wasn't competitive for the product. And instead of downgrading to domestic first-class, where a complimentary upgrade would be expected, they decided downgrade to the new money-maker, premium-economy.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
I wonder if this is the start of a product similar to Air Canada Rouge. AC determined aircraft with Business, Premium Economy and Economy just didn't work on certain TATL routes since they were more leisure oriented. So, AC designated certain aircraft as AC Rouge with only Economy and Premium Economy...and yes, the Premium Economy on Rouge is different than the Premium Economy on AC mainline aircraft.

I don't necessarily disagree with Delta on this...if the route doesn't support a D1 product, it makes no senses to put one on the route. In terms of "class confusion", I agree this "new" service by Delta creates class confusion, but I've learned that not just a Delta problem. Every large airline is in a state of transition all of the time. UA is introducing Polaris, AA still has ancient 767s flying long haul along with new aircraft with all of the bells and whistles, etc.

At the end of the day, I've learned nothing is guaranteed when you book a seat. That is the same at all airlines, not just Delta. However, I prefer Delta because Delta seems to be more "compassionate" with service issues. I've been on flights where pizza has been ordered when there's a flight delay, snack carts have been rolled out at the gate, etc. Again, this is just my opinion.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So its really just an entirely marketing move with no change in equip, and probably a minimal if any change in on board soft product/service?
If they're going to just use the standard domestic config, then it is an improvement in seat width compared to PS, but a reduction in pitch.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So its really just an entirely marketing move with no change in equip, and probably a minimal if any change in on board soft product/service?
If they're going to just use the standard domestic config, then it is an improvement in seat width compared to PS, but a reduction in pitch.
No doubt they will just be domestic config aircraft. Really makes no sense to have a special sub-fleet such a small set of destinations. NW did have some "interport" 757's for the NRT hub, but they had more destinations back then and you couldn't easily swap those aircraft in and out on US domestic routes.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Most domestic F pitch is 37" and PS is 38", not a huge deal. I think the bigger issue is that PS is advertised as having a leg rest, which people will be disappointed to not have, especially on a TATL redeye.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
For Iceland, it really does not matter because the competition is Icelandair and their FC is crap.

For the longer ones this is bad.........
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
They were complaining about the width. The width is shameful for a premium product.
Not surprising, but you seem to have confused the terms shameful and comparable. LMK when you find the XXWB version of the 350, in the meantime this is literally the industry standard.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
For Iceland, it really does not matter because the competition is Icelandair and their FC is crap.

For the longer ones this is bad.........
I wouldn't want to fly Icelandair's business-class (Saga) on the longest routes the airline flies, but from New York-J.F.K. it's pretty comparable to Delta's domestic first-class that is now being rebranded premium-economy for flights to/from Iceland. For example, the pitch is 40 inches on Icelandair. There are also leg rests.

How much longer is Shannon? Maybe an hour longer than New York-J.F.K. to Iceland? I could totally see Delta also doing this to Glasgow and Dublin.

Still, I think from a marketing standpoint this further confuses the brand, the classes of service and the expectations. For years, Delta has advertised a lie-flat seat on every transatlantic flight.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:47 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by pvn
Were you able to get those upgrades before this change?
anyone? It wasn't a rhetorical question, I actually don't know if KEF was treated like northern South America cities like BOG or what?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
anyone? It wasn't a rhetorical question, I actually don't know if KEF was treated like northern South America cities like BOG or what?
There were some scattered reports of it working.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

According to next summer's schedule, the New York-J.F.K. flight leaves for Iceland at 9 p.m. The meal service is listed as breakfast for main cabin and comfort-plus, but dinner, breakfast, snacks and drinks for premium-economy. That means the earliest dinner could be served is probably 9:45 p.m. to 10 p.m. -- 45 minutes to 1 hour after departure. That's not exactly ideal.

Also, premium-economy won't come with Sky Club access unless you have status to get entry. It would be nice if the flights were daytime, instead of overnight.

By the way, the aircraft will have satellite TV, which may actually work for part of the flight.

I wonder what happens to customers who purchased business-class and now won't get that experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.