Community
Wiki Posts
Search

747 Farewell Tour and Auction

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So no other way to get on these flights as normal tickets through the website? Just the auction only?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:42 pm

Delta has really put these events together for the employees and retirees. Tickets for the flights went on sale today. No word if they sold out. You had to be on their PPR list to have them buy a ticket for you. The hangar parties are only open to current employees and contractors who have a security badge. I thought they might invite the passengers on the last Delta international flight from Seoul to DTW to the hangar party on the 17th as that is the day that flight arrives - however due to these restrictions it doesn't look like that will happen. Glad United opened up their last flight to the public - other than auction winners with more miles than sense!!!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by lov2fly
I was thinking the same thing.... while it’s Delta’s party and they can do whatever they want, however they want, - I’m not sure I would want to win one of the auction spots.

If there’s 350 seats per flight and only 5 pair will go to the general public that’s kind of like crashing the company party. I would expect lots of discussions and conversations about past company experiences that the 10 winners were not a part of.

I took my last 747 ride in September and it was a great goodbye flight. For me, I don’t think these party flights would measure up to the great memories I already have. My only regret is that I didn’t take more photos.

The cynic in me also speculates that between the 30 passengers Delta will probably clear more than 10,000,000 Skymiles off the books. At that valuation, I wouldn’t be totally surprised if the number of spaces doubled later and additional outside passengers were added. (Of course the explanation would be “due to the tremendous demand for the experiences offered and in order to benefit Delta’s loyal Skymiles members...”).

Again total speculation on my part but you’ve heard it here first.
I got to mark the 747 off my bucket list in the Irma evacuation panic. Didn't cost me a million SkyMiles, I just had to be willing to fly into the path of what was expected, at the moment I booked that trip, to be the most destructive hurricane in American history. We all have what we're willing to pay or risk for an experience. My only regret is that I wasn't able to comfortably secure a return ticket for my brother so we could do the trip together (doing so would've had him ending up at Mom and Dad's house with a bunch of uncomfortable questions about why he was flying in and out of FL in the circumstances...for various and sundry reasons I can absorb these questions while he really can't). That's going on the list of deep personal regrets.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:23 pm

[QUOTE=360worldatlas;29083483]Delta has really put these events together for the employees and retirees. Tickets for the flights went on sale today. No word if they sold out. /QUOTE]

No, tickets have not been made available to employees yet.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
321k and counting.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by javabytes
321k and counting.
for 1 auction, all the others are in 220k range
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
for 1 auction, all the others are in 220k range
The only reason it gets bid up so high is multiple people competing. There is clearly more than 1 person interested at 320k which is why the leading bid sits at 321k, so the other auctions will soon increase.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:38 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by javabytes
The only reason it gets bid up so high is multiple people competing. There is clearly more than 1 person interested at 320k which is why the leading bid sits at 321k, so the other auctions will soon increase.
I didn't even bother trying to place a bid, so as a matter of curiosity, did they program it so you bid once and they're showing the 5 highest bids across all 5 identical items, or do you have to bid separately on each one?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Zorak
I didn't even bother trying to place a bid, so as a matter of curiosity, did they program it so you bid once and they're showing the 5 highest bids across all 5 identical items, or do you have to bid separately on each one?
If it's like any of the other auctions, you must bid separately for each one.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
Originally Posted by gooselee
If it's like any of the other auctions, you must bid separately for each one.
Yep, separately for each one.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
[QUOTE=Panam Clipper;29086650]
Originally Posted by 360worldatlas
Delta has really put these events together for the employees and retirees. Tickets for the flights went on sale today. No word if they sold out. /QUOTE]

No, tickets have not been made available to employees yet.
The original email I received said employee and retiree tickets were going on sale November 20.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:10 pm

[QUOTE=DLDiamond2013;29087896]
Originally Posted by Panam Clipper

The original email I received said employee and retiree tickets were going on sale November 20.
That is correct but plans were changed and sale of tickets has not begun.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:26 pm

Do you know the new date when the sale of the tickets will take place? Perhaps they did not get enough interest... It is a busy time of December and finding connecting flights might be difficult and expensive.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
It will be interesting to watch the bids on the last day.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
[QUOTE=Panam Clipper;29087958]
Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013

That is correct but plans were changed and sale of tickets has not begun.
Got it. Thank you for the update.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.