Community
Wiki Posts
Search

747 Farewell Tour and Auction

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by gooselee
Again, I don't disagree with you myself in terms of what I would personally pay. But given where the auctions already are, it seems there are plenty of folks who do.

As a result, I don't think 1 million RDM is out of the question. I think 500-700k is far more likely, but really would not be surprised if 1MM was reached for at least a couple of them.

Also remember that someone with 1MM RDM to burn probably values RDM far differently than most of us on FT. These folks have piles of miles and nothing to do with them. RDM are worth nothing if they just sit in your account.
Totally disagree, that is like saying someone with $100K in a savings account wouldn't feel it is worth as much because it is just sitting there. If you have that many miles and don't see the intrinsic value of it then you are foolish
Old Nov 16, 2017, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Totally disagree, that is like saying someone with $100K in a savings account wouldn't feel it is worth as much because it is just sitting there. If you have that many miles and don't see the intrinsic value of it then you are foolish
I'd argue that it's foolish to think a non-monetary corporate quasi-currency that is technically "owned" by said corporation, can only be spent on a very narrow range of goods, and can be forfeited or devalued at any moment without any prior notice holds the same valuation as actual cash.

But I mean, hey, if you've found a way to invest DL RDM in the stock market or use them as a down payment on a house or to pay for child/elder care or medical bills or something, by all means, you've outsmarted all of us.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
There is nothing ridiculous about my speculation. We are only 24 hours in and one auction has already passed 200,000 and several others aren't far behind. For someone who loves the 747 it's a priceless opportunity.

Thankfully my two favorite DL aircraft are the 757 and MD-88 and they will likely be retired with no fanfare so getting seats on the last flights should be easy for me. Most people on FT hate both of them with a passion.
I for one LOVE the MD-88/90/717
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by gooselee
I'd argue that it's foolish to think a non-monetary corporate quasi-currency that is technically "owned" by said corporation, can only be spent on a very narrow range of goods, and can be forfeited or devalued at any moment without any prior notice holds the same valuation as actual cash.

But I mean, hey, if you've found a way to invest DL RDM in the stock market or use them as a down payment on a house or to pay for child/elder care or medical bills or something, by all means, you've outsmarted all of us.
LOL, your deflection means I am 100% wrong and you are 100% right
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I'd wager we are looking at 500K plus on every single one of them. I'd love to do one ATL-MSP but I just can't dish out that many SkyMiles.
I'd be shocked if the DTW hangar party (only) went that high. But I'm not quite brave enough to actually wager on that sentiment.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
All of the flight options are over 150k now, with a couple of them over 200k.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
There is nothing ridiculous about my speculation. We are only 24 hours in and one auction has already passed 200,000 and several others aren't far behind. For someone who loves the 747 it's a priceless opportunity.

Thankfully my two favorite DL aircraft are the 757 and MD-88 and they will likely be retired with no fanfare so getting seats on the last flights should be easy for me. Most people on FT hate both of them with a passion.
Don't underestimate the love for the MD-88. I try to work them into my itinerary whenever they are an option and I will be one of the nutty people vying for the a seat on the MD-88 retirement flight. I am sure there are at least 149 of us out there. I worked really hard to get a routing on a DC-9 two weeks before they were retired...and that was when I was a poor college student with limited availability to just go fly somewhere.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:44 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by rylan
Thats pretty standard to prevent last second auction bid sniping.
why do people think that sniping is something that needs to be prevented? Extending the auction is a way to drive bids up, no more. They aren't doing it to be nice to bidders.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I for one LOVE the MD-88/90/717
Originally Posted by The Situation
Don't underestimate the love for the MD-88.
shhh... don't interfere with his martyr complex

(I also love the 757 and MDs FWIW!)
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak

Looks like one row of F on the MD88 retirement flight is filled already
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak

Martyr? Some of you said the new 757 configuration is no better than the 739. And we all know the 739 is just the worst aircraft ever... 😌
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:33 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Arrow Memories of Previous FlyerTalk Farewell Flights...

Its quite sad that Delta has decided to make this more of an employee event than letting the passengers have a final turn on the queen like United did. I guess it's just not their style... I mean, only 5 "winners" per flight can participate... provided they have the miles, which we see will be astronomical...
I remember back to the FlyerTalk events we had to celebrate the final DC-10 and 742 flights...
Any more FTers for the last scheduled DC10 NW98 07JAN07 HNL/MSP? and
Anyone on the last sched. 742 flight SEA-MSP? [9/12/2007]

We had a great time, meet-ups with many friends and fun times in HNL, LOTS of pictures taken in SEA and on the flight... You might see a few "old" friends

Long Live the Queen!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by The Situation
Looks like one row of F on the MD88 retirement flight is filled already
I can start row two. I love the MD-88.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by indufan
I can start row two. I love the MD-88.
I'll take row 2 also. But not 2B, would be a disaster to get FAM'd.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta PM & 2.4M+ Miles - Bonvoy - Lifetime Titanium - DL AMEX Reserve
I'm surprised in the difference in bids in each of the individual categories. Example ATL-MSP: at this point there are a couple @ 151K and one @ 175K and one way up @ 241K. I figured they would climb in similar values.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.