Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Bump and a Broken Promise...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Often1
I also think that with VDB payments moving into the stratosphere, the IRS will start taking notice and treat payments which are retained by the employee as income when the ticket is paid or reimbursed by the employer.
I'm not sure who paid for the ticket matters, they could make an argument that it is income in any case.

If they do anything, I'd expect there to be some sort of cutoff -- anything over (say) $1000 and we'll send you a 1099...
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
If you haven't yet, I would also call the hotel and ask them to waive the no-show penalty. Quite often with IROPs, they will do so. Day of arrival i always better, and today may be too late, but I will still give it try.
Auston likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
For 30 mins I would of taken the $1000. Seems a big amount for what was supposed to be 30 mins.
This isn't even the point of the thread or in contention. Everyone agrees with this. Re-read the OP.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by lov2fly
Two questions for the online experts that know more than me:

OP posted that the Redcoat reported that the "Standby list is full". Is there a point where additional names can no longer be placed on the Standby List?
There may be a time when nobody other than the flight's GA can add someone to the standby list, but there is no such thing as "full". The list is prioritised. Even if there are 200 people on it (on a plane that seats 75), if a DM doing SDS comes along, he'll be at the top of the list.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by sethb
There may be a time when nobody other than the flight's GA can add someone to the standby list, but there is no such thing as "full". The list is prioritised. Even if there are 200 people on it (on a plane that seats 75), if a DM doing SDS comes along, he'll be at the top of the list.
True - but this is the same reason some suspect motivates GAs to deny the standby request within T-30...

the standbys may be DL employees, even friends of the GA...they know a DM shooting to the top of the list is 1 less seat for their buddy on a pretty full flight, so its easy for them to just deny it

It's an awful thing because that's the whole point of being a Medallion...you are prioritized higher on things like the standby list...but it happens
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
True - but this is the same reason some suspect motivates GAs to deny the standby request within T-30...

the standbys may be DL employees, even friends of the GA...they know a DM shooting to the top of the list is 1 less seat for their buddy on a pretty full flight, so its easy for them to just deny it

It's an awful thing because that's the whole point of being a Medallion...you are prioritized higher on things like the standby list...but it happens
I'm one of the ones who suspects. It's happened to me enough to be one of my biggest annoyances. You advertise this as a perk but I literally have zero recourse when the GA denies me.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I had a GA once tell me she couldn't add me to a standby list because it was full. I called the DM line and was added by them instantly. I didn't say anything to the GA but she looked a little surprised when I boarded the flight later.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Howste
I had a GA once tell me she couldn't add me to a standby list because it was full. I called the DM line and was added by them instantly. I didn't say anything to the GA but she looked a little surprised when I boarded the flight later.
That works great up until a point, somewhere around 30-60 min before departure. The DM line can add you but only the GA can activate you.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Auston
1 – If presented the same situation would you have volunteered?
Usually the purpose of the trip determines that.

Originally Posted by Auston
2 – Should I be satisfied with my compensation, or should I pursue more (FYI, I also incurred a 1-night hotel cancellation penalty)?
I would if the GA has mentioned the 30-minute later flight. Per the original deal, you were supposed to be delayed only for 30 minutes or so. When the GA changed the deal, the deal should be adjusted accordingly.

The amount of the voucher received is irrelevant in this case.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

OP here ...

And here's the kicker, I'm DM and was flying paid first class.

As a sidebar, when we attempted to work out getting on an alternative flight to LGA, I had to go from gate B18 to A78 in DTW ... just about as far away as you can go in the terminal ... for a flight that was scheduled to depart in about 15 minutes.

I requested a Porsche, which the Red Coat arranged. At least I enjoyed that portion of my Delta experience last night!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Completely agree. I have had state government clients that have written in their operating procedures that all miles earned by employees are property of the state. The client admitted that they didn't know the last time the state used miles to buy a ticket - if ever - for employee travel. Also mentioned that employees keep the miles without issue.

The IRS has much bigger fish to fry then parsing VDB payments, come on!
VDB payments aren't cash, so how much are they worth (market value)? The definition says they can't be valued.

Many many years ago, my father worked for a state. He said that they required that all miles earned when the state paid for travel be used on state business. So he used them to upgrade a ticket the state paid for (that's "using them on state business").
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by sethb
.Many many years ago, my father worked for a state. He said that they required that all miles earned when the state paid for travel be used on state business. So he used them to upgrade a ticket the state paid for (that's "using them on state business").
I’m curious how he managed to pull that off ... I never had access to any of “my” miles earned on Boeing-booked tickets; in fact, I once specifically requested the travel department use some about-to-expire HP miles for an upcoming trip; the response was something like “they went into the pool, and they’ve been used already, so we can just use some pool miles for you” and I wound up on DL

Last edited by jrl767; Nov 6, 2017 at 9:00 pm
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
I’m curious how he managed to pull that off ... I never had access to any of “my” miles earned on Boeing-booked tickets; in fact, I once specifically requested the travel department use some about-to-expire HP miles for an upcoming trip; the response was something like “they went into the pool, and they’ve been used already, so we can just use some pool miles for you” and I wound up on DL
Miles didn't go into a pool (can they now? I thought the programs all said they're associated with the person). This was 50+ years ago.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
my Boeing/HP experience was miles accumulated 1994-1996 (mostly SEA<—>ICT) and an attempted 1997 redemption when I got the “pool” spiel

Boeing made it very clear from the inception of FF programs ~1981 that they paid for the tickets, and they therefore owned the miles ... a number of my co-workers and I were going SEA<—>BAL (now BWI) every week or two, generally on UA, and would seldom if ever fly the as-ticketed itineraries: it was a pretty simple matter to call UA to change SEA-ORD-BAL to SEA-DEN-BAL, swap tix at the airport (unlike some airlines, UA always returned the original passenger coupon in an exchange, making it very easy to file the expense report), and laugh about the “cheap staples” that the travel office had used to attach the Mileage Plus membership cards w the Boeing account numbers to the tickets
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:01 am

$4000 is a higher price for DBC?

I saw about other thread. That was from Atlanta to Narita flight by Delta. Nobody want to get a volunteer chance even if higher price offered.

Could you know which price is higher offer? I never heard more than $4000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.