My Bump and a Broken Promise...

Old Nov 6, 17, 5:19 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 164
My Bump and a Broken Promise...

Here’s what happened to me late last night.

Flying from DTW to EWR. Flights delayed all day, including mine. Finally boarded for takeoff 3.5 hours after original departure time. Just before pushback, a Redcoat came on board and made an announcement that the pilot informed her we were critically overweight (CRJ-700), and they needed 3 volunteers to immediately deplane. We would be accommodated on the next flight to EWR, which was only leaving 30 minutes later (due to all the delays). In exchange, we would receive $1,000 Delta dollars.

I sprung up and volunteered. After all, what was 30 more minutes of my time?

So, 3 of us make our way back to the gate area and the Redcoat begins to work feverishly on our rebooking and vouchers. After about 15 minutes, she calls us up to the counter. Unfortunately, “the system” will not allow her to rebook us on the EWR flight she promised, and the standby list is full. I say fine, put me back on my original flight then, as I needed to travel that evening to make my morning meetings. No go, as the jet bridge has pushed back. There is nothing she can do. She was very apologetic.

Needless to say, we were agitated and perturbed. Attempts to route us to other NYC airports were futile, so I ended up going back home and calling it a night.

Delta is refunding my ticket (as there is no reason for me to travel any longer since I’ll miss the meeting) and I have my grand in Delta bucks.

So, here are my questions for the experts …

1 – If presented the same situation would you have volunteered?

2 – Should I be satisfied with my compensation, or should I pursue more (FYI, I also incurred a 1-night hotel cancellation penalty)?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Thanks.
Auston is offline  
Old Nov 6, 17, 5:28 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: At the moment? ...
Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 377
I would be more concerned as to how to explain the situation to your employer.

I was once offered $2400 to take a later DTW-YOW. It would have been the last flight out (a regional jet that was about to do DTW-YOW-DTW-YOW). Weather was moving through, the flight was already delayed and I had to be at work at 6a or 6:30a the next morning. I had to turn it down.
tvtd is offline  
Old Nov 6, 17, 5:40 am
  #3  
C W
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LON, PDX
Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Posts: 2,064
I'd seek compensation for your hotel cancellation penalty cost by sending in the receipt. $1000 voucher is still a good compensation for your situation.
C W is offline  
Old Nov 6, 17, 6:00 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Traveling the World
Posts: 5,441
Delta could have flown you to JFK LGA and paid you for transportation.

There must have been a way to route via ATL,MSP, LAX,SFO,SEA albeit an overnigt red eye.


Why did the agent claim you could get on a flight 30 minutes latet without confirming first? Was it just an enticeent tactic?
danielonn is offline  
Old Nov 6, 17, 6:30 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 12,941
I would've volunteered, but been quite upset at what essentially is being lied to. The bump was taken with the word from a redcoat that you'd get on the next flight.

I'm sure if the announcement was that it would not be a flight until the next morning, they would've had to offer more.

I think its worth writing in to DL and requesting refund of the hotel cancellation, and also detail how you took compensation with the good faith of being told you'd be accommodated on the next flight and instead had no flight.
Seabilly likes this.
rylan is offline  
Old Nov 6, 17, 6:44 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PIT to MSP to PIT; repeat
Programs: Delta, United, AA, Jet Blue .... Whichever is Cheapest
Posts: 1,477
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
I think its worth writing in to DL and requesting refund of the hotel cancellation, and also detail how you took compensation with the good faith of being told you'd be accommodated on the next flight and instead had no flight.
This.

Once the deal was broken, the negotiations start again. Tell them you want an extra $1000, or whatever number you would have settled for at the time.
RRDD is offline  
Old Nov 6, 17, 6:50 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,075
Originally Posted by RRDD View Post
This.

Once the deal was broken, the negotiations start again. Tell them you want an extra $1000, or whatever number you would have settled for at the time.
At that point, OP has zero leverage. The original flight is closed and there is no space on the later flight. You can say anything you want, but why would DL do it?

I think that all that's left is for OP to complain to DL, not for more compensation but to make the point that the Redcoat should not have promised space without placing a hold on the seats and called the other gate to make certain that the agents processing that flight knew that there were 3 VDB's headed that way.

I presume that OP's employer paid for the ticket and the hotel room. The money for the ticket goes back to the employer and the employer can make a fuss with DL for the room guarantee if it wishes.
RobOnLI likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Nov 6, 17, 7:05 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PIT to MSP to PIT; repeat
Programs: Delta, United, AA, Jet Blue .... Whichever is Cheapest
Posts: 1,477
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
At that point, OP has zero leverage....
Maybe so, but OP does have the moral and ethical high ground. Can’t hurt to ask for another $1000.
RRDD is offline  
Old Nov 6, 17, 8:11 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Posts: 2,880
OP - I would have escalated at the airport - even up to the DTW Station Manager if I had to - because system issues are a BS reason.

Did you look at all rerouting options regardless of fares sold on DL.com? If the Red Coat was as apologetic as you suggest - I would definitely have asked her to double the voucher at a minimum.

Then, depending on whether I had the time/patience for it - and Delta had the availability - I would have asked for a reroute DTW-SFO or LAX-JFK in First/D1. Flights leave as late as midnightish from SFO or LAX to JFK and you can easily sleep in D1.

Alternatively I would have asked her to rebook us on another carrier that night. Surely UA had a DTW-EWR flight...or DL could have flown you DTW-ORD and UA ORD-NYC, etc. This is a situation where I would have definitely asked to be reaccommodated on another airline that evening if DL really had 0 availability. I've had DL rebook me on Cathay in J when DL and their partners had 0 availability in J that day - and I wasn't even bumped!
btonkid12345 is online now  
Old Nov 6, 17, 8:27 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CHA, MAN;
Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Posts: 11,094
OP - thanks for this info - it will definitely make me think twice in future.
bbbb, UKFan78 and DragonSoul like this.
GRALISTAIR is offline  
Old Nov 6, 17, 8:42 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: ATL
Programs: DL PM, 2+MM, AA Gold 1+MM, HH Diamond, MHG Silver,
Posts: 223
Two questions for the online experts that know more than me:

OP posted that the Redcoat reported that the "Standby list is full". Is there a point where additional names can no longer be placed on the Standby List? Obviously if I'm going to be added to the Standby List as #75 on a plane that holds 100 passengers my odds don't look too good, but does the list ever get "Full"?

Second, couldn't the Redcoat put them on the next flight with unassigned seats and had the gate agent request volunteers? I've actually had that done for me when I volunteered for an oversold flight. The next flight was offered to get volunteers - even though that flight was also overbooked. During the paperwork process after volunteering the Redcoat manually forced me on to the overbooked flight without an assigned seat (ended up Bumping off that one as well).

Thanks for any insight.
lov2fly is offline  
Old Nov 6, 17, 8:51 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: AVL
Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Posts: 687
I've been there. In my situation is was PHL that was unreachable. I had to be there the next morning and there were no flight options. So, with Delta unable to solve the problem - but willing to help if I saw a solution - I got online and found a solution. My solution involved flying West and then taking a red eye east to arrive in the morning. it wasn't ideal but it got me there on time. As I recall I flew DTW to SEA and an overnight flight back to ATL where I connected to PHL. It just depends on how seriously a can't miss meeting actually is. For me, an overnight flight (bumped to first) was worth it.
FirstInFlight is offline  
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:33 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Posts: 2,880
Originally Posted by lov2fly View Post
Two questions for the online experts that know more than me:

OP posted that the Redcoat reported that the "Standby list is full". Is there a point where additional names can no longer be placed on the Standby List? Obviously if I'm going to be added to the Standby List as #75 on a plane that holds 100 passengers my odds don't look too good, but does the list ever get "Full"?

Second, couldn't the Redcoat put them on the next flight with unassigned seats and had the gate agent request volunteers? I've actually had that done for me when I volunteered for an oversold flight. The next flight was offered to get volunteers - even though that flight was also overbooked. During the paperwork process after volunteering the Redcoat manually forced me on to the overbooked flight without an assigned seat (ended up Bumping off that one as well).

Thanks for any insight.
To #1 - there is not a published cutoff time. If you call to get on the list prior to the gate taking control, you will definitely be on it. Once the gate takes control, it can be at their discretion (in person) but realistically they should list all standby passengers who request it and are willing to pay if confirmed

To #2 - the amount a flight can be overbooked by is up to RM. They set hard limits, and sometimes a call can be made to MAYBE open up an extra slot if it is alreadyfully booked. In OP's case, I am guessing the Red Coat knew it was a wasted call because RM wouldn't allow 3 additionals when its already full.

The Red Coat has some power to request additional accommodation on another flight, but its just a request. In your case, it seems it was granted.
btonkid12345 is online now  
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:56 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Posts: 1,021
Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
To #1 - there is not a published cutoff time. If you call to get on the list prior to the gate taking control, you will definitely be on it. Once the gate takes control, it can be at their discretion (in person) but realistically they should list all standby passengers who request it and are willing to pay if confirmed.
They should, but don't. I have asked to be put on a standby list (for SDS and a few times for IRROPs and missed connections) and been refused way more times than is reasonable.

I've gotten the list is too full quite a few of those times, which imo is code for, I either don't have time to deal with you or I don't want you to bump someone else further down the list and have to deal with them.

To the OP, total BS. I would at least ask for the hotel cancellation. Hope you didn't get in too much trouble.
kitkat77 is offline  
Old Nov 6, 17, 10:16 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,427
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight View Post
I've been there. In my situation is was PHL that was unreachable. I had to be there the next morning and there were no flight options. So, with Delta unable to solve the problem - but willing to help if I saw a solution - I got online and found a solution. My solution involved flying West and then taking a red eye east to arrive in the morning. it wasn't ideal but it got me there on time. As I recall I flew DTW to SEA and an overnight flight back to ATL where I connected to PHL. It just depends on how seriously a can't miss meeting actually is. For me, an overnight flight (bumped to first) was worth it.


I am not sure a $1000 voucher is worth the potential lost income that might result if your employer frowns upon you playing the VDB game (I know my bonus and advancement opportunities would be getting a bit lighter), but if you have can't miss travel plans, always have a back up plan similar to this. I normally looked at the flight schedules and find the earliest flight into my destination that likely has seats available and figure out if any late flights can get me there.
The Situation is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: