Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Meeting a friend transition through JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

So I am trying to meet a friend transitioning through JFK T4 (CZ J) initiated from a domestic Delta F. There is only going to be an hr layover at JFK so ideally I would meet him at airside so he doesn't miss his connection. Will buying a refundable domestic delta ticket work in this case to meet him at JFK T4 SC?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No need to engage in ticket fraud. Just ask the DL counter for a gate pass. Your reason is more than adequate.

But, do bear in mind that 60 minutes is an extremely tight connection given that he ought to be at his departure gate 30-40 minutes prior to departure and that only allows 20-30 minutes from the time the brakes are locked on his inbound to the time he makes it to his departure gate. Your friend stands a good chance of misconnecting if he stops to talk with out.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Yes, shouldn't be a problem, just make sure your ticket is actually fully refundable.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Not really realistic to see them. They need to head to gate and get new BP and possibly checkin. Also need yo be on board at least 30 minutes prior to departure.

Sorry, but friend will miss flight if you meet up with 1 hour layover.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

I didn't realize you can get a gate pass. Will definitely ask for that. Thanks for the reminder of the tight connection. It is an early morning flight so hopefully it won't be that bad. He will probably be taking air side shuttle from T2 to T4.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yoyo
I didn't realize you can get a gate pass. Will definitely ask for that. Thanks for the reminder of the tight connection. It is an early morning flight so hopefully it won't be that bad. He will probably be taking air side shuttle from T2 to T4.
The plane will be boarding before he even gets to the SC if coming from T2. You'll not even get 5 minutes together.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Not really realistic to see them. They need to head to gate and get new BP and possibly checkin. Also need yo be on board at least 30 minutes prior to departure.

Sorry, but friend will miss flight if you meet up with 1 hour layover.
I see. I can meet him at the gate, right? All I need is a minute or two to take some fragile item from his carry.

Just checked with him again, connection is more reasonable: an an hr and 35 minutes.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Ask DL for a gate pass. The ticket counter will help you. Do not commit fraud buying a refundable ticket and not flying.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kettle1
Ask DL for a gate pass. The ticket counter will help you. Do not commit fraud buying a refundable ticket and not flying.
Even if OP bought a ticket there is no fraud.

OP and other newbies - don't be scared by the "armchair legal" judgments of some posters on here who are sticklers. It is totally unnecessary, over the top, and inaccurate. It would be hilarious if these same posters could point to any case - either handled by DL, or taken to court - where purchasing and refunding a REFUNDABLE ticket once constituted fraud. Impossible, because it doesn't, and hasn't.

If you bought a refundable ticket, your plans changed (for any reason - and you do not need to disclose the reason to the airline) and you cancel/refund the ticket according to the airline's policies/timelines for a refund, you will be completely fine.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Often1
No need to engage in ticket fraud. Just ask the DL counter for a gate pass. Your reason is more than adequate.
Maybe JFK has a more relaxed policy but I very much doubt that “I need to meet my friend” would get you a gate pass at my home airport, MSP.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:17 am

While I admit, I never tried, I too would be shocked if you were able to obtain a gate pass. Just wanting to meet someone defeats the purpose of needing a tix to go through TSA security. I would think, and hope that gate passes are only issued for very very specific and pre defined purposes.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Not that it addresses the OP's question, but I would not book the 1 hour connection in this case.

. D->I T2->T4 with JFK delays ican be risky even if all DL metal
. CZ checkin policy? Will OP even have a BP? Credentials check?

EDIT: Missed the change to 1:35. Better, but even then could be a case of him needing to go straight to the gate so I would suggest a plan to meet there if no phone contact suggests time to hit the SC.

Last edited by exwannabe; Nov 5, 2017 at 1:58 pm
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Maybe JFK has a more relaxed policy but I very much doubt that “I need to meet my friend” would get you a gate pass at my home airport, MSP.

Is it possible to obtain a gate pass a day earlier or at least talk to Delta folks to see if I can obtain one? Hate to go there and be told "sorry, can't do!"
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Not that it addresses the OP's question, but I would not book the 1 hour connection in this case.

. D->I T2->T4 with JFK delays ican be risky even if all DL metal
. CZ checkin policy? Will OP even have a BP? Credentials check?

EDIT: Missed the change to 1:35. Better, but even then could be a case of him needing to go straight to the gate so I would suggest a plan to meet there if no phone contact suggests time to hit the SC.
Well, never booked CZ so no idea what the check in policy is. I will give CZ a call tomorrow. The itinerary is on one record locator (one ticket) so unless the early flight from RDU is delayed I would think there should be no issue make the transition. I read that the bus should take 4 minutes between T2 and T4 and I do not know about. I would think the boarding pass can be printed out at RDU and luggage checked all the way through to the destination? Now you mentioned it I am getting nervous about his booking itself even without the meeting. Should I ask him to spend 17 dollars on trip insurance with 1:40 connection at JFK?

Last edited by yoyo; Nov 5, 2017 at 7:05 pm
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by awayIgo
While I admit, I never tried, I too would be shocked if you were able to obtain a gate pass. Just wanting to meet someone defeats the purpose of needing a tix to go through TSA security. I would think, and hope that gate passes are only issued for very very specific and pre defined purposes.
Do you or anyone know the rules to obtain a gate pass?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.