Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Select upgrade offers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Premium Select upgrade offers

I didn't find a thread already about this, but my apologies if there is one. Just booked RDU-DTW-NRT-SIN so I could check out the A350. When I logged into the website to pick my seats, the FCM (and PSM?) offers were:

$391 to upgrade RDU-DTW to first class
$313 to upgrade DTW-NRT to Premium Select

(no "bundle & save" offer, since there was no offer to upgrade the NRT-SIN flight)

Got a chuckle out of it, but also I'm gonna take that premium select upgrade since (a) I doubt my GUC will clear to D1 and (b) I could use the 50% MQM bump this year.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Great offer, one I'd definitely take, too. ^ To add to the data point, how far out did you book? And what (if you recall) was the original paid fare difference between Y and PS for the whole trip?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
That's a really good deal. Just for fun, I checked out the fare in Dec (RDU-SIN A350 12/6-12/27). It's $1135 in economy but $2388 in PS, a $1253 difference. The difference can be even greater for other dates. Perhaps a good strategy is to book economy and see if you receive a cheap upgrade offer. If you don't, you can cancel immediately at no cost.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by laxrdu
I would pay this pretty much every time. Basically $25/hour for a significantly more comfortable experience.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
Got a chuckle out of it, but also I'm gonna take that premium select upgrade since (a) I doubt my GUC will clear to D1 and (b) I could use the 50% MQM bump this year.
I wonder if a GUC for D1 suites is more likely to clear from PS than from regular economy. Given the big reduction in D1 seats on DTW-NRT from the 747, few to no open D1 seats are showing up on upcoming A350 flights. Paying for the upgrade could be a good strategy to use the GUC if that's indeed the case.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Now we know how DL is going to fill those enormous premium economy cabins.
hi55us likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
I would pay this pretty much every time. Basically $25/hour for a significantly more comfortable experience.
and 3200 mqm...
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Agreed. I took it immediately, in case the offer went away. And would have even if I didn't need the MQMs. Both directions, same price. (Needless to say, I did not take the RDU-DTW upgrade.)

Also, for the person who asked for the data point about price/dates: it's a mid-december flight, booked yesterday for ~$1000. The "Premium Select" option in the pricing grid was $2850, vs the $1650 I ended up paying. Granted, it's not quite apples to apples, since you'd get first class on the RDU<->DTW segments, and comfort+ on NRT<->SIN, but the odds are decent I'll get those for free anyway.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Great deal - need to book SIN - RDU in the week or so for a trip at the end of December. This makes me more willing to book via NRT/DTW instead of NRT/SEA if upgrading to PS is a potential option (paying for C+ vs. paying for PS, since this is work ticket I have to start with Y but pay out of pocket for any upgrade).
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I booked a round trip XXX - DTW - ICN and ICN - DTW - ATL - XXX trip in Premium Select for $1939. Regular economy was $1548. I thought it was a steal considering the domestic legs all booked in F. I'm excited to try the new product out. I know the pricing won't be that close forever, but thats an easy call for me at that amount.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LonghaulCommuter
I wonder if a GUC for D1 suites is more likely to clear from PS than from regular economy. Given the big reduction in D1 seats on DTW-NRT from the 747, few to no open D1 seats are showing up on upcoming A350 flights. Paying for the upgrade could be a good strategy to use the GUC if that's indeed the case.
I'd like to believe that using a GUC from PS to D1 puts me higher on the list than people trying to use a GUC from economy to D1. Does anyone know if that's actually the case? Seeing as Y or B fares are probably much more expensive than my P fare, I could also see those having higher priority. Or does fare class matter at all among GUCs?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:14 pm

I didn't find a thread already about this, but my apologies if there is one. Just booked RDU-DTW-NRT-SIN so I could check out the A350. When I logged into the website to pick my seats, the FCM (and PSM?) offers were:

$391 to upgrade RDU-DTW to first class

(no "bundle & save" offer, since there was no offer to upgrade the NRT-SIN flight)
Take the DTW-NRT upgrade offer. It is a bargain! The economy seats on a DL A350 have significantly less under seat space due to large metal bar, the vertical seat support is poorly positioned in the window seat compared to 777-400, and the expandable seat pocket is really small. Also IFE screen does not swivel.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Anyone got any offer to upgrade from PS to D1?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
Anyone got any offer to upgrade from PS to D1?
I suspect these would come only on DOD during OLCI. So we may have to wait, but I'm also curious.

Keith
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
agreed with everyone, great offer! Thanks for posting.

As a west coast flyer, I am waiting until we get some A350 routes out of the west coast

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.