Avoid DM qualification

Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Avoid DM qualification

I am trying to avoid qualifying for DM in order to carry over the MQMs and instead just quality at Platinum. I have arranged my travel schedule (by avoiding some Delta flights) to end up 300 miles short of DM at 124,700 miles. I have heard that Delta will arbitrarily qualify people close to the threshold to DM, and that there is no way to prevent them from doing so or reversing the decision they make. Is that the case? And if I am so close to DM, is there anything I can do to prevent Delta from moving me up to DM. I am currently DM, but really have found no big advantage relative to PM, which I had been for the 10 prior years.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:33 am

If it happens to you, you can call them and ask them to leave you platinum.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I seriously doubt they will bump you up so I would not worry about it

I held short a couple of times until I saw the error of my ways...don't know I was ever that close though

I would never hold short again, but that is just me
Seabilly likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Holding short

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I seriously doubt they will bump you up so I would not worry about it

I held short a couple of times until I saw the error of my ways...don't know I was ever that close though

I would never hold short again, but that is just me
I am curious as to why you find DM so much better. Since 90% of my flying is international business class, I usually have lounge access on my trips. Domestic upgrades are of little value since my domestic travel is limited. International upgrades are of some value, but, 90% of work travel is paid business. I imagine if I was traveling domestically DM would look far more valuable.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by des16
I am trying to avoid qualifying for DM in order to carry over the MQMs and instead just quality at Platinum. I have arranged my travel schedule (by avoiding some Delta flights) to end up 300 miles short of DM at 124,700 miles. I have heard that Delta will arbitrarily qualify people close to the threshold to DM, and that there is no way to prevent them from doing so or reversing the decision they make. Is that the case? And if I am so close to DM, is there anything I can do to prevent Delta from moving me up to DM. I am currently DM, but really have found no big advantage relative to PM, which I had been for the 10 prior years.
What do your MQDs look like?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:22 am
Original Poster

MQDs

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What do your MQDs look like?
Qualified already based on Amex 25K spend and over $20K spend.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
Those of us who don't fly primarily international business, find a great deal of benefit from DM status. My 90% of travel is domestic Y.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A MQD of $20K isn't that high for DM so DL is unlikely to bump you up using that rationale. My guess is that DL will try to sell you a bunch of MQMs for a lot of money but otherwise let you stay at PM.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: DL DM
I am curious as to why you find DM so much better. Since 90% of my flying is international business class, I usually have lounge access on my trips. Domestic upgrades are of little value since my domestic travel is limited. International upgrades are of some value, but, 90% of work travel is paid business. I imagine if I was traveling domestically DM would look far more valuable.
How about the bump on RDM earnings from PM to DM? With international business class tickets you're likely hitting the 75k max earnings but you're likely still looking at a 10%-20% bump on RDMs.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Everybody has a different situation; in your situation really the only benefit to DM is three (2018) additional choice benefits (which can be worth a lot).

For me it is upgrades, choice benefits, and SC.

I am basically two customers rolled into one:

International J PM (4 weeks a year)

Domestic cheap fare coach GM (48 weeks a year)

75+50=125 (DM)

So my international J is subsidizing me the rest of the year when I do the hard stuff.

Can't imagine living with a lower upgrade % or having to pay for SC.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL DM
Are you going to hit PM in 2019 regardless of needing rollover? If so, holding out is silly. Just the two 25k miles bonus will pay for itself.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Co-worker was in the same boat last year. Had something like 124,9XX MQMs and they bumped them up to Diamond.

Called in early January and DL had no problem moving back to Platinum and re-instating the rollover.

Won't say this will happen to you, but DL somehow forgot to take back the Diamond choice benefits
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
That spend is amazingly low if you're getting close to 125k MQMs primarily in int'l business class. That would be about 83k BIS miles, so you're getting int'l J for around $0.25/mile, which is a hell of a deal.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
That spend is amazingly low if you're getting close to 125k MQMs primarily in int'l business class. That would be about 83k BIS miles, so you're getting int'l J for around $0.25/mile, which is a hell of a deal.
Assuming zero rollover, which seems unlikely
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Dear Delta,

If you wish to arbitrarily upgrade me to the next tier of status after my last flights of the year, please do so with my blessings. Thank you! :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.