Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Going to fly Delta, where should I stash the miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AS

My family and I are set to fly Delta in a couple months to Orlando. We haven't normally flown on Delta very often, but the departure time combined with price said Delta.

As a Chase UR person, where should I credit the miles?

Delta: they will just sit there forever or until Delta changes the expiration policy. But since we don't fly tons, they will never really ever get built up. Along with no expiration, they wouldn't be devalued like the partners.

Virgin: Easy enough to keep them alive with a hotel stay or transfer, but egad the fuel surcharges to go to Europe are horrible. What's the point?

KLM: I can park them there, but they would only be good for two years or until we all flew on Delta again. One pro here is we would like to go to Europe again sometime and as of now, their award availability looks really nice and easy. However, my 3y/o son might as well cough his miles up...

Korean: Looks like I can park them here for ten years and pool as a family and hope to get some use out of them. Con is award flights to Europe cost more than KLM; in business one ticket would wipe out the accrued miles we would be trying to save.

Any advice??
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:09 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by applegrcoug
Virgin: Easy enough to keep them alive with a hotel stay or transfer, but egad the fuel surcharges to go to Europe are horrible. What's the point?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virg...ub-points.html
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My family and I are set to fly Delta in a couple months to Orlando. We haven't normally flown on Delta very often, but the departure time combined with price said Delta.
Or you could just save a little more money and buy a Basic Economy fare at Delta, and then you wouldn't have to worry about what to do with the miles, because with Basic Economy you don't get any. But of course, there's a few other things you give up with Basic Economy, and those you might miss even more than the miles.

Delta: they will just sit there forever or until Delta changes the expiration policy. But since we don't fly tons, they will never really ever get built up. Along with no expiration, they wouldn't be devalued like the partners.
What you're forgetting is that since Delta is a major USA-based airline, there's lots of way besides flying to add to Detla miles. Delta SkyMiles Dining (Delta's equivalent of UA's MileagePlus Dining), Delta shopping mall, Delta credit cards, Membership Rewards credit cards from Amex that transfer to Delta, transfers from hotel programs, etc, etc. And with Delta's lack of expiration, you can take a "slow but steady" approach to adding miles "on the ground" (ie, only doing it when it doesn't disrupt your other "on the ground" earning).

But that ability to add miles from many different on-the-ground sources doesn't exist with most of those airlines. And just flying transcon diagonally like you are, I'm not sure if you'll earn enough by this flight alone to matter much.

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 31, 2017 at 5:44 pm
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Or you could just save a little more money and buy a Basic Economy fare at Delta, and then you wouldn't have to worry about what to do with the miles, because with Basic Economy you don't get any. But of course, there's a few other things you give up with Basic Economy, and those you might miss even more than the miles..
Basic Economy (E) fares earn redeemable miles (RDMs) with Delta.

OP: consult with wheretocredit.com
MikeNYC1 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless you are flying in F, the cheapest DL fare classes (which I'm guessing you are looking at) accrue nothing in KE Skypass, 25% miles in Flying Blue, and 50% in VS Flying Club. I'd just credit them to DL Skymiles accounts. You've already probably wasted more time thinking about this than the miles are actually worth.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 31, 2017 at 11:13 pm
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Some Delta miles are actually useful. They have short hop awards for as low as 5000 miles (even less in some market) one way.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by LBJ
Unless you are flying in F, the cheapest DL fare classes (which I'm guessing you are looking at) accrue nothing in KE Skypass, 25% miles in Flying Blue, and 50% in VS Flying Club. I'd just credit them to DL Skymiles accounts. You've already probably wasted more time thinking about this than the miles are actually worth.
That is probably the best advise yet...

Yeah, I could stash them and try to build them, but I'm already doing that with some UA miles my son has accrued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.