Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are You Serious! Delta

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down Are You Serious! Delta

This is my first blog post ever in my 52 years. I tried to get on the Delta 12:30 from O'Hare to Detroit today on standby - Gate E9 O'Hare Chicago. I am a million miler and Diamond status flyer. By the time it was my turn at the gate desk, it was 12:08. The gate agent informed me the flight was closed and she could not put me on the standby list since it was after 12:00 (remember it is 12:08). I nicely replied that it is up to her discretion and that I would like consideration for the 8 minutes past the 30 minute cut off - I was denied. I asked if my Diamond status made a difference and she repied - "NO". She was quick to inform me that she would not put me on the standby list because "it was unfare to the other standby passengers" (remember - to put me on the standby list is up to her discretion). In other words, since I was Diamond, I might bypass the other passengers. I thought some preferential treatment of frequent flyers was the program. I never complain to Delta or about Delta when I am stuck out of the country for days with my family or on business due to flight issues or that my flights are late more times than I care to discuss (last night 2 hours), or all the other stuff that is not in the control of Delta. But are you serious that I cannot get 8 minutes of consideration! I am now sitting at the Wacker Park Seafood and Sushi Restaurant on a Friday afternoon waiting for my 2:30 Flight. Which is currently posted as delayed
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:40 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Welcome to FlyerTalk

You've posted in a forum that is for tech support for the board software, etc.

I will move your thread to the Delta forum.

cblaisd, Co-Moderator, Technical Support forum.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Thank you
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Time to fill up on those $2 beers at the Skyclub :=)
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If someone here were #1 and dropped to #2 on a flight with 1 seat left, there would be howls of Sheena.

It all depends where you sit. The guy who showed up on time got the seat.

Delays on some other flight in some other country are not a standby factor.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:57 pm

In other words you pulled the DYKWIA card and lost?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Punctuation!Delta
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Why didn't you call the diamond desk on your way to the airport or have the skyclub (while ORD isn't one of my favorite clubs I think the staff there is great) put you on the list instead of waiting in line at the gate house?

I agree that was absurd she wouldn't put you on the list if she had the time. How is unfair if you bump others if you have higher status and are on a higher fare?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
In other words you pulled the DYKWIA card and lost?
why is it any time someone tries to use a known benefit of their status they are considered DYKWIA. So I should get in the general boarding line if I arrive a little after boarding is called too?

It was the wrong thing for the GA to do to not put OP on the standby just because it was "unfair" to lower status PAX.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Why didn't you call the diamond desk on your way to the airport or have the skyclub (while ORD isn't one of my favorite clubs I think the staff there is great) put you on the list instead of waiting in line at the gate house?

I agree that was absurd she wouldn't put you on the list if she had the time. How is unfair if you bump others if you have higher status and are on a higher fare?
I thought the same thing but I am guessing they got to the airport a little early and saw there was an earlier flight they could take, not a planned standby.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
why is it any time someone tries to use a known benefit of their status they are considered DYKWIA. So I should get in the general boarding line if I arrive a little after boarding is called too?

It was the wrong thing for the GA to do to not put OP on the standby just because it was "unfair" to lower status PAX.
I agree, it's not DWKIA behavior at all as long as the OP was friendly about it. There was no harm in mentioning they were a diamond when the GA refused to put him on the GA since it would have moved him towards the top of the list or maybe even number 1.

I don't understand why the GA said it was unfair to others on the list. One of the benefits of status is for things like having a high priority on the upgrade list. If number one on the upgrade list was a PM on a V fare there is nothing wrong with a Diamond on a Y fare trumping them for the SB seat
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
as a DM why wouldn't you go hang out in the SkyClub?
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs

The OP was not asking for a known benefit of OP's status, but rather an exception to a rule solely because OP is a DM/MM. The 30 minute requirement is in place for a reason. It is unfair to those already on the list to be bumped because a DM happened to want to travel earlier rather than booking an earlier flight initially.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:05 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

To me this sounds like the OP was using the DYKWIA card....for a DM member, it should be clear that all domestic flights are closed for check-in at this point and so are stand-by pax list. Am glad that the agent stuck to the rules here as I am sure that there are other standby pax who were earlier on the list and should have been given a fair treatment instead of getting pushed down the list just because a DM member was late to the game.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by nldogbert
To me this sounds like the OP was using the DYKWIA card....for a DM member, it should be clear that all domestic flights are closed for check-in at this point and so are stand-by pax list. Am glad that the agent stuck to the rules here as I am sure that there are other standby pax who were earlier on the list and should have been given a fair treatment instead of getting pushed down the list just because a DM member was late to the game.
I would agree if it were uniformly enforced. It's not. If you have good patter you can get on the list with some agents. Others, not so much. He drew the short straw on this and lost. It happens. There is always some to get screwed in almost every situation in the upgrade game. There are so many variable that the rules can often be suggestions, not always enforced rules.

I rule this situation no harm. No foul. He tried. Failed. Time to hit the club for a nice cool beverage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.