Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We have it SOOOO good at Delta

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I remember flying ORD - DEN on UA 10 years ago and thought the looping video was lame. Can't believe they still haven't updated it yet.

Also, one advantage DL has out of LHR is access to the VS Clubhouse for PM/DM in Y. I was there earlier this month and I loved the lounge. It's up with the CX Wing J lounge at HKG as my favorite lounge. It blows every Sky Club out of the water.
i encountered looping videos last year on aa's 772 for lax-nrt
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by runningformqm
Honestly, I have also flown JAL in CX in Y and I vastly prefer DL. Every time I've flown JAL and CX the cabins have felt like saunas, while DL keeps the cabins freezing (which I prefer). 2nd, JAL and CX don't give bottled water to Y passengers, just from the tap which I will not drink, while DL gives unlimited Evian bottles to Y passengers. Lastly, JAL and CX provide much less food compared to DL, I always leave JAL and CX hungry while I am fairly full on DL. In J its a toss up, love that CX gives espresso (JAL only serves it in F). DL bedding and deserts (ice cream sundaes ) are much better than both CX and JAL. Unfortunately, the hot cabin issue on JAL and CX is also true in J.

Edit: entertainment is also much better on DL. Though after flying CX many times I know which merchant bank to use in HK
i have definitely gotten bottled water in Y for JAL (I've only flown with them twice and got it both times). Can't speak for CX since I've only flown premium class on there.

DL is inferior to B6 in Y. less leg room, have a bunch of planes with 17 inch width seat, older plane on average, no free wifi, no live tv, no amazon prime streaming.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by skchin
Not best for b u t t s, but NWA was good at upgrading their top tier for free to business regardless if back was sold out or not.
True, though I don't think they would still be that way in the current economic environment for air travel.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:16 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by tphuang
i have definitely gotten bottled water in Y for JAL (I've only flown with them twice and got it both times). Can't speak for CX since I've only flown premium class on there.

DL is inferior to B6 in Y. less leg room, have a bunch of planes with 17 inch width seat, older plane on average, no free wifi, no live tv, no amazon prime streaming.
Delta has no widebodies with 17" seats, which is very rare in the industry and relevant as we're discussing international flights.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Let me know when B6 starts flying to Europe, Asia, Australia, and Africa. I hear nice things about them, but their route map is really limited.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by C W
Delta has no widebodies with 17" seats, which is very rare in the industry and relevant as we're discussing international flights.
but they do have plenty of 757, 737 and CRJ domestically

Let me know when B6 starts flying to Europe, Asia, Australia, and Africa. I hear nice things about them, but their route map is really limited.
That's true. Their lack of alliance partners is one of their biggest weakness.

At some point near end of 2019, they probably will start to fly to Europe. and then premium cabin prices to europe will drop a lot.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:39 pm

bottled water is apparently a benefit to diamond level marco polo members flying economy on cx

maybe i just got unlucky when i flew jal.

i liked b6's wifi but their entertainment seemed lacking compared to dl's avod, i havent flown b6's a321 though
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bubbashow
So many get caught up in minor inconveniences to realize how good we really have it.
I'm having a hard time reconciling this statement with your preceding paragraphs in which you do precisely that. Having to pay for a vodka, as well as ear plugs and eye shades are the epitome of minor inconveniences. WVBV. WEPBEP. WESBES.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:25 pm

Due to an almost irrational fear of Economy, I have not flown in the back for some time.

Having said that, I much prefer Delta's Business to UA's Business which to me feel cheap.

Even the food on UNITED feels cheap in comparison to Delta's, as surprising as that is. Especially UA's second meal which is plated on cheap looking Economy like dishware, (though I know it is not).

Plus the paper cup used for ice cream sundaes after many months of claiming the original dish was removed from service because it was cracking too much from the freeze/thaw cycle and yet still no proper replacement.

Delta is not perfect by any means, Sky Pesos, etc. but they do care somewhat about on-board service.

Oh and my personal favorite, recently UA catering in SFO did not load menus and the Flight Attendant came around saying what ya want, beef, chicken, fish or pasta? I asked how the Chicken was prepared, hoping for a small description and got, "cooked".

Never even with less than stellar Delta crews have any of them ever been so rude and condescending.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by kmersh
Due to an almost irrational fear of Economy, I have not flown in the back for some time.

Having said that, I much prefer Delta's Business to UA's Business which to me feel cheap.

Even the food on UNITED feels cheap in comparison to Delta's, as surprising as that is. Especially UA's second meal which is plated on cheap looking Economy like dishware, (though I know it is not).

Plus the paper cup used for ice cream sundaes after many months of claiming the original dish was removed from service because it was cracking too much from the freeze/thaw cycle and yet still no proper replacement.

Delta is not perfect by any means, Sky Pesos, etc. but they do care somewhat about on-board service.

Oh and my personal favorite, recently UA catering in SFO did not load menus and the Flight Attendant came around saying what ya want, beef, chicken, fish or pasta? I asked how the Chicken was prepared, hoping for a small description and got, "cooked".

Never even with less than stellar Delta crews have any of them ever been so rude and condescending.
last two times i flew ua j (ps and sfo to mexico) no menus in ps and to mexico my chicken was raw. fa got angry that i would complain about being served raw poultry and told me i owe him a meal when deplaning
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by javabytes
I'm having a hard time reconciling this statement with your preceding paragraphs in which you do precisely that. Having to pay for a vodka, as well as ear plugs and eye shades are the epitome of minor inconveniences. WVBV. WEPBEP. WESBES.
I think there is a difference in comparing the hard and soft product between two airlines (in this case UA and DL int'l Y) vs. stating that if one wants to sit up front, one needs to pay for it as in WFBF as opposed to expecting upgrades. Bubba is merely pointing out that UA int'l Y is lacking compared to DL int'l Y in that they don't provide certain amenities.

I'm pretty sure that like most of us, Bubba could get out a credit card and buy a cup of vodka. But, that's not the point.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by runningformqm
last two times i flew ua j (ps and sfo to mexico) no menus in ps and to mexico my chicken was raw. fa got angry that i would complain about being served raw poultry and told me i owe him a meal when deplaning
I would kindly tell him to go **** himself.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I think there is a difference in comparing the hard and soft product between two airlines (in this case UA and DL int'l Y) vs. stating that if one wants to sit up front, one needs to pay for it as in WFBF as opposed to expecting upgrades. Bubba is merely pointing out that UA int'l Y is lacking compared to DL int'l Y in that they don't provide certain amenities.
He's complaining about minor meal differences and eyeshades/earplugs and using this as the basis to say "We have it SOOOO good" on Delta (implied is that others have it "SOOOO bad" on other carriers), all while dismissing those who have minor complaints about Delta service by stating "So many get caught up in minor inconveniences to realize how good we really have it."
DiverDave likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Was it best for buts?
That was Sir Mix A Lot singing about ample butts, not Dr. Dre's NWA
(Having watched Straight outta Compton 5X on various flights in the past year, I know my NWA pseudo history.)

I'll get my hat now, but while I am on the way out, yes DL is significantly superior to United and American, but part of the difference is the customer demographic. DL doesn't chase the bottom feeders the way the other US bus companies of the sky do. As a "foreigner" I have seen the difference. DL pax are generally of better quality than the other two legacy airlines. It might be the routes, or the regions I fly, but no matter the shape, size, colour or aroma of the customer, DL pax are usually nicer. To me this translates into a more pleasant flying experience. Considerate and polite pax do make a difference and all I know is that Delta is an airline that still manages to elicit some genuine affection from its customers. Love is to Delta what hatred is to United.
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by bubbashow
As for entertainment, UA had looped video on small screens in the seat in front. There was an on-demand streaming service on the plane, but there were no power outlets outside of the First and Business Class cabins. Didn't really bother me going as I slept, but coming home westbound, would have been nice to had the option to power my phone to take advantage of the broader entertainment streaming. Delta beats United HANDS DOWN for electronic/entertainment convenience.
Not to say that DL Y still doesn't come out ahead, but you definitely weren't able to compare apples to apples with the hard product. There's only 11 UA 767s left flying in the old economy configuration (their only international widebody planes with looping video), and the rest are being completely re-done inside. The majority of UA's 767 fleet is virtually identical to DL's international 767s in the economy cabin with some slight advantages to the UA fleet such as 110V power throughout Y and no subfleets with older IFE (DL's 76L).

Originally Posted by C W
Official seat width isn't what matters. Room at torso height is, and DL's 747s and A350s are on the lower end of the width scale. It's not at the bottom, but it's not far off either. They're no 767 or A330 in that category.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.