Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Organizing a Protest for Better F Wine

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Organizing a Protest for Better F Wine

A few days ago I posted in the meals thread about the undrinkable wine in F that they were serving that cost $8/bottle retail. As I think about it more, I wondered if the wine hadn't been stored properly - it was that bad. On my return flight, the wine was fine, but it is definitely of lower quality than they have served before. The Wente they serve in the back is $10-$12. Bottom line: I want a decent glass of wine to drink in flight and I think DL could accomplish it well if they were providing $15 retail priced wine.

Here is my hopefully brilliant idea: every single post flight survey you receive, please comment that you have noticed a decrease in the quality of the wine they are serving in domestic F, and keep doing so until something changes.

I know there is some cynicism regarding if DL actually reads the post flight surveys, but if enough people continuously complain, it should get their attention and they might be willing to spend another couple bucks/bottle.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:03 pm

I've actually noted the increase in the quality of wines in F, particularly domestically with the addition of gas station convenience store quality Prosecco. Master Sommelier, Andrea Robinson's picks have been fantastic! Love the addition of the prosecco instead of champagne domestically.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I'd be happy with 14 Hands. 14 Hands makes great wine and I can get it for ~$10-$11 a bottle (plus tax) at my local grocery store here in WA. I'm sure Delta could get a bulk discount.

That said, I'm not enough of a wine snob that I find the wine in FC intolerable.

ETA: also, consider that Delta operates ~5,000 flights per day. Even if you assume 2 bottles of wine consumed per day per flight (some more, some less), that's $5 extra x 2 x 5,000 x 365. That's nearly $20,000,000 extra per year you're asking them to spend.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I'd be happy with 14 Hands. 14 Hands makes great wine and I can get it for ~$10-$11 a bottle (plus tax) at my local grocery store here in WA. I'm sure Delta could get a bulk discount.

That said, I'm not enough of a wine snob that I find the wine in FC intolerable.

ETA: also, consider that Delta operates ~5,000 flights per day. Even if you assume 2 bottles of wine consumed per day per flight (some more, some less), that's $5 extra x 2 x 5,000 x 365. That's nearly $20,000,000 extra per year you're asking them to spend.
nice simple analysis ... are you contemplating changing your screen name to SEAeconomist?

and yes, 14 Hands sells really good wine at reasonable prices, even given the large WA sales tax bite
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:15 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Sorry, this topic is not allowed on FlyerTalk!

SYRRDU, hi55us, trooper and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
I would put all my might behind this cause.. oh my...

But as an idea maybe all FTers tweet to https://twitter.com/Andreawine

could maybe have and impact???
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:47 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
We can all only hope that as Delta no longer wants to give away first class upgrades, that the quality will increase with regard to food and wine as that's what's we're paying for!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been on several DL flights recently where the FAs ran out of wine in the premium cabin. [Before anyone asks, I paid for my premium cabin seat; it was not a "free" upgrade.]
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
I am sure that better wine in F is near the top of Ed Bastian's List

To Do's:
1. Downgrade FF benefits
2. Remove UG opportunities
3. Install SouthWest style boarding process
4. Drive DM's away
5. Improve F wine selections
Ysitincoach likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Tomphot
We can all only hope that as Delta no longer wants to give away first class upgrades, that the quality will increase with regard to food and wine as that's what's we're paying for!
I am glad folks here still have a sense of humor. (You were kidding, right?)

David
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Well... one area AS shines in F compared to Delta (and maybe the only?) is wine quality. AS typically serves chateau ste Michelle bottles that retail around $12, and occasionally serve Browne wines that retail $20+. Ive noticed the difference since I started the DL status challenge a few months ago.

Maybe that is the angle: point out that they are inferior to AS with wine selection. Based on recent history, DL does seem to care about beating AS. Could work...
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
What can I say.... WWBW - Want Wine, Buy Wine (In the terminal!) How long until we see DL selling drinks to FC -- because we're giving consumers a choice!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
[QUOTE=SYRRDU;28922180]I am sure that better wine in F is near the top of Ed Bastian's List

To Do's:

3. Install SouthWest style boarding process

OMG this! I arrived at DCA around 445pm yesterday and the gate/terminal was a total madhouse with all the people lined up in their "line" - can't even find the right word for what those polls are denoting your boarding group.
SYRRDU likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by hi55us
How long until we see DL selling drinks to FC -- because we're giving consumers a choice!
Giving Ed more ideas I see. I can see the email now... "Thank you for your loyalty and feedback... we are listening. To further enhance our 1st Class experience and service to our most valued customers, we will now be offering premium wine selections in FC at the low cost of $12 per glass. Use your AMEX SM card and get a 2nd at 1/2 price...."

In 2011, I was in SF on a business trip and my wife (in NC) went into labor a week early. I called the DM line, explained the situation and they rebooked me gratis and into F. On each of the two flights, I was met and congratulated by the crew and was given a bottle of Champagne on the ATL-RDU leg. OK, I know this was an exception, but where has that DL gone?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:35 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
can't even find the right word for what those polls poles are denoting your boarding group.
stanchion
[stan-shuh n]

noun
1. an upright bar, beam, post, or support, as in a window, stall, ship, etc.

Y'er welcome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.