Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Organizing a Protest for Better F Wine

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
IDK if that would work and I rarely get the in-flight surveys whereas I always get call center surveys. I would maybe consider airline shaming them by snapping a pic of the bottle and then looking up reviews on like Vivino and if they are serving $8 bottle, 2.5*/5* swill then Tweet a picture of it to Andrea and Delta. But it's a thought. I just drink the Prosecco almost exclusively now and a bit of dosage, bubbles and extra chill make it quite palatable.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretmd
Well... one area AS shines in F compared to Delta (and maybe the only?) is wine quality. AS typically serves chateau ste Michelle bottles that retail around $12, and occasionally serve Browne wines that retail $20+. Ive noticed the difference since I started the DL status challenge a few months ago.

Maybe that is the angle: point out that they are inferior to AS with wine selection. Based on recent history, DL does seem to care about beating AS. Could work...

@:-) I like this angle! Given that I was flying ex-SEA and DL is competing against AS, you would think that DL would want to match, if not exceed what AS is doing. Chateau Ste Michelle, or 14 Hands as someone else mentioned, would be perfectly acceptable in my eyes!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I'd be happy with 14 Hands. 14 Hands makes great wine and I can get it for ~$10-$11 a bottle (plus tax) at my local grocery store here in WA. I'm sure Delta could get a bulk discount.

That said, I'm not enough of a wine snob that I find the wine in FC intolerable.

ETA: also, consider that Delta operates ~5,000 flights per day. Even if you assume 2 bottles of wine consumed per day per flight (some more, some less), that's $5 extra x 2 x 5,000 x 365. That's nearly $20,000,000 extra per year you're asking them to spend.

Your estimate is too low - I'm Italian so I will drink a bottle (or more on a TCON) by myself on the flight. It may save Delta money if cheapening out on the wine drives people to drink more of more expensive alternatives (woodford) and I would think that the cost of beer is fairly expensive given the weight of those cans. In the American Airlines documentary back in the mid-2000s on CNBC, IIRC, it cost them ~$50 to produce a pot of coffee on the flight, because of the weight of the machine and the energy required to run it - by far the most expensive thing you can drink on a plane.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:58 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by The Situation
In the American Airlines documentary back in the mid-2000s on CNBC, IIRC, it cost them ~$50 to produce a pot of coffee on the flight, because of the weight of the machine and the energy required to run it - by far the most expensive thing you can drink on a plane.
Unless you're on foreign airlines drinking Salon Champagne, Takaji dessert wine or similar
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by SYRRDU
Giving Ed more ideas I see. I can see the email now... "Thank you for your loyalty and feedback... we are listening. To further enhance our 1st Class experience and service to our most valued customers, we will now be offering premium wine selections in FC at the low cost of $12 per glass. Use your AMEX SM card and get a 2nd at 1/2 price...."
Honestly, if they offered a split of Moet at a reasonable price, I would be totally fine paying to UG from Prosecco but I am guessing that I'm in the minority.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jrl767
nice simple analysis ... are you contemplating changing your screen name to SEAeconomist?
Because SEAeconomist would only be good through next summer until I move. If people are looking into manufacturing foreign addresses for MQD waivers, I'll have to look into manufacturing a Seattle address to keep my 12 Status and any Seattle promos though.

Originally Posted by jrl767
and yes, 14 Hands sells really good wine at reasonable prices, even given the large WA sales tax bite
Yea liquor and booze tax is pretty steep here. Thus I look forward to making runs to McChord to run to the base liquor shop. I went into the Seattle Coast Guard Station PX for the first time recently and they had a pretty good selection as well.

Originally Posted by The Situation
Your estimate is too low - I'm Italian so I will drink a bottle (or more on a TCON) by myself on the flight. It may save Delta money if cheapening out on the wine drives people to drink more of more expensive alternatives (woodford) and I would think that the cost of beer is fairly expensive given the weight of those cans. In the American Airlines documentary back in the mid-2000s on CNBC, IIRC, it cost them ~$50 to produce a pot of coffee on the flight, because of the weight of the machine and the energy required to run it - by far the most expensive thing you can drink on a plane.
I figured it'd be better to be low but I also figured there were some flights (especially short ones) where no wine would be served. But if it is higher, it only helps my case, not hurt it.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Oct 12, 2017 at 6:15 pm
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Some basic facts:

(1) Price does not equal taste. I've had $7* and under wines taste a lot better than $15* and up wines.
(2) The typical USA faux wine snob must drink a Shar-dough-nay (or name your varietal) which is more important than actual taste or quality - and will kvetch if it isn't there. I've taken to ordering "red" or "white" on domestic trips - and when then FA tries to give me more detail, I tell them not to worry, because I know you have "red" or "white."
(3) The airline wholesale price point will not generally support a better quality domestic "named varietal" wine, yet it would easily support a lower $ French or Spanish table wine, which would taste a hell of a lot better than Acrid Family Farms Peenoh Nwar.
(4) For a superior domestic pour, one must fly B6 Mint.

*retail
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
In general I am concerned about the parallel track that I see: FCM and lower service standards in F at the same time.

I'm worried that DL is trying to have it's cake and eat it to.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Some basic facts:

(1) Price does not equal taste. I've had $7* and under wines taste a lot better than $15* and up wines.
(2) The typical USA faux wine snob must drink a Shar-dough-nay (or name your varietal) which is more important than actual taste or quality - and will kvetch if it isn't there. I've taken to ordering "red" or "white" on domestic trips - and when then FA tries to give me more detail, I tell them not to worry, because I know you have "red" or "white."
(3) The airline wholesale price point will not generally support a better quality domestic "named varietal" wine, yet it would easily support a lower $ French or Spanish table wine, which would taste a hell of a lot better than Acrid Family Farms Peenoh Nwar.
(4) For a superior domestic pour, one must fly B6 Mint.

*retail
I think that's mostly true although I'm not an expert at flat wine. I am pretty good at knowing sparkling wine. If I had a dollar for every time a friend told me about this Spanish Cava that was "just as good as any champagne", I could actually buy a decent bottle of champagne. I'm not saying it costs $50 but to make a good methode champenoise it takes time. And time takes money. And that rich, brioche, flavor from good champagne comes from time on the lees and the secondary fermentation. So you can't find a good $8 sparkling wine except a sugar enhanced stainless prosecco to cover the flaws in the wine. And Delta has done just that with their Prosecco line. Fortunately, you can get some great properly aged sparkling wines in the $15-20 range so it is accessible at home but I never am going to expect that kind of wine in Domestic F (using Domaine Chandon as the minimum, although I would accept Korbel Brut/Chardonnay/Organic Brut but too many have a negative connotation with that brand.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
we’ve been patronizing the CG station at Pier 36 for years ... it sure beats the 40-some mile trek to either McChord or the Naval Support Facility up in Marysville, and there are the occasional odd bottles that show up in the otherwise pretty mainstream selection (it’s also been handy for things like ID cards, although we just discovered that the NOAA facility off Sand Point Way also has a DEERS office)
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bergamini
If I had a dollar for every time a friend told me about this Spanish Cava that was "just as good as any champagne", I could actually buy a decent bottle of champagne. ... although I would accept Korbel Brut/Chardonnay/Organic Brut but too many have a negative connotation with that brand.
(1) Your friends clearly haven't had "any champagne"
(2) We're so label-obsessed that there would be outrage for a better Korbel line, but if some crap with a French label on it appeared, that would be ok.

Many years ago, on UA, the mid cabin had a lovely Iron Horse bubbles. What an outrage! This stuff is very good (and in the $40+ range currently). But it wasn't Champagne! Oh the horror. People would rather have a lesser product with the "right label." And as far as price goes, the best French bubbles I've had have been from small grower producers for half the price of the name brands. (Of course, these producers couldn't supply a large airline.)

Nonetheless, having spent 50+ years in California (all of my life) and having had my fair share of California bubbles at most price points, an airline needing to stock billions of bottles a year is going to get a more consistently drinkable product at a better price point from Italy or Spain. I'm ok with that.

As far as the OP's premise, it sounds as effective as organizing a hunger strike when one is stranded on an island, alone, because the food is no good.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
Giving Ed more ideas I see. I can see the email now... "Thank you for your loyalty and feedback... we are listening. To further enhance our 1st Class experience and service to our most valued customers, we will now be offering premium wine selections in FC at the low cost of $12 per glass. Use your AMEX SM card and get a 2nd at 1/2 price...."

In 2011, I was in SF on a business trip and my wife (in NC) went into labor a week early. I called the DM line, explained the situation and they rebooked me gratis and into F. On each of the two flights, I was met and congratulated by the crew and was given a bottle of Champagne on the ATL-RDU leg. OK, I know this was an exception, but where has that DL gone?
BOHICA has been replaced by BOBYAFI

Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

Many years ago, on UA, the mid cabin had a lovely Iron Horse bubbles. What an outrage! This stuff is very good (and in the $40+ range currently). But it wasn't Champagne! Oh the horror.
I would be quite happy with Iron Horse in any cabin!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Gold; Hertz President circle
I know it's a different class of service, but I enjoyed a really lovely 2012 Jordan Cabernet from SFO - JFK in D1 recently. The bottle retails for about $65/bottle, and the FA had NO idea what she had on her hands! I think I was the only one drinking it, though, which was fine by me
Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SFCav
I know it's a different class of service, but I enjoyed a really lovely 2012 Jordan Cabernet from SFO - JFK in D1 recently. The bottle retails for about $65/bottle, and the FA had NO idea what she had on her hands! I think I was the only one drinking it, though, which was fine by me
WOW. That's a lot better than some of my recent experiences with DL running out of premium cabin wine in the middle of the flight.
SFCav likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.