Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Restore Our Faith in SkyMiles: Examples of Cheap Awards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Restore Our Faith in SkyMiles: Examples of Cheap Awards?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
I booked a RT J fare for my wife on China Airlines from TPE to ATH using 160k SM with minimal fees. If I bought it outright would have cost over $6k so I'm quite happy with that.
That's a great deal and have looked at it myself. Too bad CI is stingy like KE with the # of seats they let loose for award bookings.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Gold; Hertz President circle
Lax - cdg - tnr (Madagascar) on AF in business on their 777 with "Best" seats for 95k SkyMiles one way, which includes a 22 hour stopover in Paris (who could turn down spending a night in Paris?!). That ticket was nearly $11k, so, I'd consider that a good redemption!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I usually use mine for JNB-AMS-XXX-SYD in J. OW is 85k last time i booked about three months ago.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I usually use mine for JNB-AMS-XXX-SYD in J. OW is 85k last time i booked about three months ago.
In my region I can choose between Star Alliance and Skyteam on the same routes with frequent flights throughout the day. I'll accumulate Delta for Skyteam and Aegean for Star Alliance, since they both never expire. Which one is more valuable to redeem HKG-TPE round-trip economy? (~1400 HKD = ~180 USD to buy using money)?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I had never seen domestic F below 25K one way, until this week.

ATL-MCO is only 13K in F on random dates with advance purchase. No wonder UGs are so tough on that route (half kidding).
I booked 8 ATL-MCO RTs for 9k each (+$11.60 or whatever) for Mrs. Lee and her friends doing a girls' trip. All same flights. I was sort of surprised that kind of inventory was available...I figured I'd have to do 3 at one rate, 2 at another, and then tell the rest to just pay cash after DL detects "increased demand" for that one flight.

Tickets were around $250 at the time, so actually a very decent redemption value, and also allowed a couple folks who were tentative to basically go ahead and secure refundable tickets since they're coming from my PM account.

Maybe domestic short-haul coach is the new sweet-spot for DL redemptions. Can't say I mind it, really. I'll happily save a bunch of cash on those trips and then not be locked into SkyTeam for int'l J trips just because that's where most of my miles are.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
I booked several MSP-SLC flights for this coming winter for 22K miles. The cash price is between $400 - $500. And best of all, as a PM I can cancel if the snow conditions are not good.

I also booked several MSP-CLE flights (I know, not exactly an aspirational route) for 20K miles. The cash price is $400+.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Gold; Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I just searched for this but it keeps coming back with an error message. Is it something you'd have to call in for?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
We booked JNB NYC in J (VS operated) for 70k pp and NYC JRO in J (klm) in J for 65k a few years ago.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SFCav
I just searched for this but it keeps coming back with an error message. Is it something you'd have to call in for?
There's limited flights that connect to begin with. Also partner award searches have been broke for a bit. Priced out JNB-CDG-PVG-AKL in J for 90k on Nov 8th. Had to use DL App or m.delta.com

Also on 8th, JNB-CDG-SGN-SYD. All in J for 90k via app or m.delta.com
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:07 pm

SYD>CAN>HND for 65k pp in J on CZ, got 2 seats booked. However this was booked nearly exactly 331 days out.

Tacked on NRT>DTW>DSM to that for 80k pp, and lucked out b/c NRT>DTW is the first route to get the A350, I was going to have to suffer through a 772 flight.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
ATL-PDX-ATL nonstop: 24k miles

It's difficult to get a good deal on NS out of ATL but this is an example. It even includes a Monday morning flight. It's also seasonal; no way was I getting this deal for summer travel to PDX. Note: I booked these a few days ago. When I checked again just now they were 36k miles. So maybe it makes sense to check back often (kind of like a slot machine?)
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by safigan
ATL-PDX-ATL nonstop: 24k miles

It's difficult to get a good deal on NS out of ATL but this is an example. It even includes a Monday morning flight. It's also seasonal; no way was I getting this deal for summer travel to PDX. Note: I booked these a few days ago. When I checked again just now they were 36k miles. So maybe it makes sense to check back often (kind of like a slot machine?)
There are currently 18K awards with 14-day advance purchase and 15K awards with 60-day advance purchase on the non-stop. However, there are currently 10.5K awards on the ATL-LAX non-stop with 14-day advance purchase, and there are also 5K LAX-PDX awards. So the system will price out a 15.5K broken fare award option at times by combining those. This information is available in the fare rules when you select a flight option.
There are some hidden city opportunities (if you don't mind violating the CoC) for the return as you can book PDX-ATL-STL or PDX-ATL-DFW for 11K miles one-way.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 12, 2017 at 9:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.