Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Additional tarriffs on the CS100...ugh...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold

Not sure if anyone saw this... apparently they're adding an addition ~80% tax on the new CS-series, on top of the already 227% tarriff added earlier.

I can't see Delta staying with this purchase... which royally sucks. I am SO OVER the CRJ-200s and MD-88s that I'm always stuck on, and was really hoping the CS100s might make it on some of my flight legs...

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...iff-on-441915/
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Not sure if anyone saw this... apparently they're adding an addition ~80% tax on the new CS-series, on top of the already 227% tarriff added earlier.

I can't see Delta staying with this purchase... which royally sucks. I am SO OVER the CRJ-200s and MD-88s that I'm always stuck on, and was really hoping the CS100s might make it on some of my flight legs...

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...iff-on-441915/
This is utter ......... Whatever campaign bozos they have running Commerce obviously don't understand that trade is a two-way street. At this rate, Boeing is never selling another aircraft abroad. Hope they're willing to accept that.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'd be very surprised if much, if any of these penalties are ever imposed.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: Priority Club (Platinum)
Originally Posted by WWads
This is utter ......... Whatever campaign bozos they have running Commerce obviously don't understand that trade is a two-way street. At this rate, Boeing is never selling another aircraft abroad. Hope they're willing to accept that.
Umm.. do you recall the US administration changed in January? I'm not trying to get political here, but were people not paying attention during the last year? Most of what's happening here was promised in the run up to the election.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by iaflyer
Umm.. do you recall the US administration changed in January? I'm not trying to get political here, but were people not paying attention during the last year? Most of what's happening here was promised in the run up to the election.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WWads
So do you believe there's no point in anti-dumping regulations and they should never be applied? Or do you just believe they should not be applied here because the current admin is always wrong?
sdadept likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by iaflyer
The current admin is a bigger friend to protectionism... they took ‘er jerbs.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
you reap what you sew....enjoy
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
This whole thing is pure nonsense. If Boeing actually had a competitor to this jet maybe they'd have an argument. What's the closest in size, the 717? And how long has it been since one of those was sold.

I don't know if this is just posturing or what, but I really hope this can be resolved.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
The additional tariff was more than expected given the original decision since they are both essentially coming from the DOC. The more significant decision is the one coming from the US ITC in February 2018 as to whether Boeing suffered any real harm in the Delta-Bombardier deal -that is a more difficult case for Boeing to prove since they were not really offering Delta any US-made product as an alternative. The Boeing offer to Delta at that time included a bunch of used Brazilian-made E190 jets which it ironically acquired from Air Canada; Boeing doesn't really compete in the 100-110 seater category.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
The additional tariff was more than expected given the original decision since they are both essentially coming from the DOC. The more significant decision is the one coming from the US ITC in February 2018 as to whether Boeing suffered any real harm in the Delta-Bombardier deal -that is a more difficult case for Boeing to prove since they were not really offering Delta any US-made product as an alternative. The Boeing offer to Delta at that time included a bunch of used Brazilian-made E190 jets which it ironically acquired from Air Canada; Boeing doesn't really compete in the 100-110 seater category.
That's the point here. It's not dumping if it's not competing with a comparable domestic product.

Boeing is truly on something if it thinks that DL would have purchased 737 MAX 7s if not for the CS100 deal.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 12:47 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Well a certain someone did run his airline into the ground. Why not come back and finish everyone else off? I'm starting to wonder if its the ME3 the US3 should fear the most.
hi55us and SFCav like this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Why don't they do this to Airbus too? They're the biggest culprit and Scott Kirby of UA pretty much said that with AA's dirty deal with Airbus.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:32 am

Protectionism can apply in many ways. It could easily manifest itself in DL taking the CS planes and then not ordering the equivalent value in the future from Boeing.

Because as a customer it protects DLs interests to have choices.

I'm not sure that will happen, but kicking up such a large fuss is only going to sour DL, who clearly needs to move on from the MD series in the next few years (and some 767s, and maybe some 777s and so on...)
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: Priority Club (Platinum)
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Why don't they do this to Airbus too? They're the biggest culprit and Scott Kirby of UA pretty much said that with AA's dirty deal with Airbus.
I believe Boeing made a complaint to the Department of Commerce saying that Bombardier was dumping the jets at below cost. Airbus either doesn't think so, is looking at the bigger picture, or doesn't want to go down this road (maybe because Airbus thinks they have done the same thing).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.