Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Isn't redepositing SkyMiles free for Platinum status SM members?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond

I had to cancel a trip booked with miles and, as one with Platinum status, I understood that there was no charge for this redeposit. After all, the pertinent footnote on the webpage says about Award Ticket Redeposit/Reissue: "Waived for Award Tickets redeemed from a Diamond or Platinum Medallion Member's account." The agent today on the phone said there was a $150 charge per person but she would waive it for me, indicating clearly that I was not entitled to that but she was doing me a favor. I said I understand that there was no fee for Platinum status folk. She said no and reiterated that there was indeed a $150 charge but she would waive it for me this time. Since I was getting what I wanted, I let it go.

But am I misreading the terms and conditions? Isn't the redeposit fee waived as a benefit for all Platinum and Diamond members?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
were you within 72 hrs of departure?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:55 am

Were the miles originally deducted from a SM account without current Platinum or Diamond status?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCron
No.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If the redemption was from your account and you're status is presently Plat or Diamond the redeposit should be free (subject to the 72 hour rule as noted).

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Shouldn't matter, per the rules nobody can cancel within 72 hours of departure fee or no.

In this case, probably just easier to cancel on-line though.

David
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming you were not within 72 hours of flight (in which case no redeposit should have been allowed), agent was incorrect. I always just cancel online.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Assuming you were not within 72 hours of flight (in which case no redeposit should have been allowed), agent was incorrect. I always just cancel online.
Thanks. All the miles were taken out of my current Platinum status account outside the 72 hour window.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by mglvrug
I had to cancel a trip booked with miles and, as one with Platinum status, I understood that there was no charge for this redeposit. After all, the pertinent footnote on the webpage says about Award Ticket Redeposit/Reissue: "Waived for Award Tickets redeemed from a Diamond or Platinum Medallion Member's account." The agent today on the phone said there was a $150 charge per person but she would waive it for me, indicating clearly that I was not entitled to that but she was doing me a favor. I said I understand that there was no fee for Platinum status folk. She said no and reiterated that there was indeed a $150 charge but she would waive it for me this time. Since I was getting what I wanted, I let it go.

But am I misreading the terms and conditions? Isn't the redeposit fee waived as a benefit for all Platinum and Diamond members?
You are correct and the agent was correct. There is a $150 charge for canceling award tickets, AND the charge is waived as a benefit of Platinum / Diamond status. If anything, awkward wording on the part of the agent, perhaps reflecting that DL may not have automated the business process of waiving the $150 charge for PM and DM and instead requires agents to manually do so.
exwannabe likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnbp
You are correct and the agent was correct. There is a $150 charge for canceling award tickets, AND the charge is waived as a benefit of Platinum / Diamond status. If anything, awkward wording on the part of the agent, perhaps reflecting that DL may not have automated the business process of waiving the $150 charge for PM and DM and instead requires agents to manually do so.
Thanks, mnbp. I suspect you're right.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Yeah I’ve been getting this a lot. When I SDC, they say, “it’s a $75 dollar fee but we are waiting it it for you as a diamond”
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Sound like somebody upstairs said to remind PM/DM of the value of all their benefits.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:01 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Sound like somebody upstairs said to remind PM/DM of the value of all their benefits.
Or . . . .

A reminder that program changes can (or WILL) happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.