Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:26 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Yes, there is no MQD requirement for people living outside of the US.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by pvn
Yes, there is no MQD requirement for people living outside of the US.
Now, can I change this to an international address-viable??
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Now, can I change this to an international address-viable??
There's a thread on this. You'll need to prove to DL that you have a legitimate foreign address.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta Plat
It's actually easy to do, took me less than 3 hours to have my address updated after sending in the documentation.

I sent in my lease. It was in Spanish and I did not need to translate it.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yiran Liu
Hi,

I'm just curious how risky it is to keep a foreign address while mainly fly domestic? I can easily provide documents for my foreign address but i probably will stay at US most of the time (I do fly back to my country once a year). Any cases or DPs?

Thanks!
Didn't your mother teach you honesty is the best policy?
hnewman likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Being a resident of a foreign country and having a foreign address are two separate things.

For instance, while several European countries issue residency certifications, there is no such thing in the US, other than what the IRS issues exclusively for tax purposes.
I believe that a person who can produce such certification from a foreign country would qualify for MQD requirement exemption, flights pattern notwithstanding.
Whereas, utility bills, driver licenses, and the likes, are not conclusive evidence and I can see Delta treating that frequent flyer the same as a domestic one.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by thesaints
Being a resident of a foreign country and having a foreign address are two separate things.

For instance, while several European countries issue residency certifications, there is no such thing in the US, other than what the IRS issues exclusively for tax purposes.
I believe that a person who can produce such certification from a foreign country would qualify for MQD requirement exemption, flights pattern notwithstanding.
Whereas, utility bills, driver licenses, and the likes, are not conclusive evidence and I can see Delta treating that frequent flyer the same as a domestic one.
Not sure why this comes up periodically. However DL goes exclusively by your address. You're good as long as you can provide an address in a foreign country that is not a business address. Utility bills, drivers licenses, and the likes, are all proof accepted by DL.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by thesaints
Delta will ask you to provide certification issued by that country stating that you are a resident of that country. .
I relocated to Australia and changed my address accordingly. DL only required my proof of address (I used my Australian Driver's License, which does not prove I am a resident). They didn't ask for any proof of residency. As @flyerCO states above, I don't believe 'residency' is in their T&C as a requirement for the MQD waiver.

You seem to be purely speculating on what Delta might do, when there are lots of examples of what they actually do which go counter to your claims.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Sep 24, 2018 at 8:57 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I relocated to Australia and changed my address accordingly. DL only required my proof of address (I used my Australian Driver's License, which does not prove I am a resident). They didn't ask for any proof of residency. As @flyerCO states above, I don't believe 'residency' is in their T&C as a requirement for the MQD waiver.

You seem to be purely speculating on what Delta might do, when there are lots of examples of what they actually do which go counter to your claims.
Same boat, but I was even flimsier. I didn't have a DL yet so I sent them my lease... the lease was only for a few months. I sent along a note saying that even though the lease was short-term, I was in Australia for the long haul. No push back at all, it was handled within 2 days.

(And so I don't get flamed, that is the truth... My contract down here is for years)
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
It's actually easy to do, took me less than 3 hours to have my address updated after sending in the documentation.

I sent in my lease. It was in Spanish and I did not need to translate it.
So a lease in Spanish for a NYC apartment works?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
It would be easy to produce an address in the Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico with your name on it, getting around the MQD threshold but if you didn't have originating flights from there I think eventually you will get caught. I'm sure people are doing this, though. I'm actually surprised Hawaii isn't included in the MQD waiver.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:30 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So a lease in Spanish for a NYC apartment works?
he didn't imply that the fact that it was in spanish was a sufficient condition. He was just pointing out that it's not necessary to do the work of getting it translated.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
It would be easy to produce an address in the Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico with your name on it, getting around the MQD threshold but if you didn't have originating flights from there I think eventually you will get caught. I'm sure people are doing this, though. I'm actually surprised Hawaii isn't included in the MQD waiver.
DL has made clear, all they care about is where you have your mail from them sent. Nothing else matters. Stop with the scare monitoring about being a resident, vs having a mail address. Again, DL only cares where you get your mail from them.
kjbrant likes this.

Last edited by flyerCO; Sep 25, 2018 at 11:52 am
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, AS MVPG 100K
I have a question that may have already been asked, in which case, I apologize:

Do AMEX and Delta communicate about address changes to a foreign location? If I change my DL address to a foreign one, but keep my AMEX DL Platinum card address domestic, will DL know, and thus potentially penalize me? Or is there a wall that prevents their communication? Thank you!
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ithacxa
I have a question that may have already been asked, in which case, I apologize:

Do AMEX and Delta communicate about address changes to a foreign location? If I change my DL address to a foreign one, but keep my AMEX DL Platinum card address domestic, will DL know, and thus potentially penalize me? Or is there a wall that prevents their communication? Thank you!
There's no sharing of this info. Regardless there's nothing that says you have to get bank statement at your home. Could be sending it to family/accountant to take care of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.