Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
It isn't ridiculous to think DL might use flight history as a method to determine who they audit. It's the most information they have about the account.

However if I were DL I would look first at accounts who are flying out of the USA internationally, but not to their supposed location, before targeting domestic flyers.

As I've already noted, I am pretty much a domestic DL flyer who might appear to be based in LAX to DL (because I rarely fly DL from Australia, or credit my VA flights to DL), but have had no issues. Hopefully that doesn't change. I am definitely a real international member not a fake one.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
It isn't ridiculous to think DL might use flight history as a method to determine who they audit. It's the most information they have about the account.

However if I were DL I would look first at accounts who are flying out of the USA internationally, but not to their supposed location, before targeting domestic flyers.

As I've already noted, I am pretty much a domestic DL flyer who might appear to be based in LAX to DL (because I rarely fly DL from Australia, or credit my VA flights to DL), but have had no issues. Hopefully that doesn't change. I am definitely a real international member not a fake one.
As a method to determine who to audit, yes possibly. However not as a method to determine residency, only who to audit/verify. As long as your documentation is legit, you're good.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
That's what makes me think they are going to scrutinize new address changes more closely for the next year and the easiest initial filter is history of flight originations.
Followed by lots of rants on here when they get denied

Bring on the popcorn!

I mean for 20 years you have told Delta that you live in Atlanta and suddenly in 2018 you live in Asia or Europe LOL! Good Luck folks!
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
As a method to determine who to audit, yes possibly. However not as a method to determine residency, only who to audit/verify. As long as your documentation is legit, you're good.
How can you say that with certainty?

If you declare a foreign address as your residence when it's not really that, then you're trying to game the system. Delta might or might not find out, and you can provide whatever documents you have in the hope to make them go away, but they're the only ones who can determine whether you're actually living where you claim to live, or not.

I've over a million Skymiles on my account, and about to qualify for DM for 2018. I'd rather not risk losing all of that. I'll have to be PM going forward starting with 2019, or qualify on MQDs (plus MQM, of course).
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: Delta Plat
How can delta determine where you actually live without sending someone to your intl address, knock on your door, ask for ID a DNA sample to verify it is you. (Surprised Delta doesn't have us upload selfies to our accounts)

What bugs me is that even though my primary address is an intl address on my SkyMiles account 9 out of 10 times when checking in Delta will ask me for my US address. I technically don't have one and just put my old home address.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
How can you say that with certainty?

If you declare a foreign address as your residence when it's not really that, then you're trying to game the system. Delta might or might not find out, and you can provide whatever documents you have in the hope to make them go away, but they're the only ones who can determine whether you're actually living where you claim to live, or not.

I've over a million Skymiles on my account, and about to qualify for DM for 2018. I'd rather not risk losing all of that. I'll have to be PM going forward starting with 2019, or qualify on MQDs (plus MQM, of course).
It's cheating, not gaming the system.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Fair point.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Which shows/proves nothing. Passenger could be from Asia and only flies DL domestically, KE, GA, VN, SQ, MH, CX etc for rest of flights.

Can see them scrutinizing documents more closely. However this whole only flying DL domestically issue is ridiculous.
You might get away with it if your home is a international gateway for Delta. But if all your trips start or end in CID then it is much harder to say "Oh, I just flew OAL from my foreign home..."
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
You might get away with it if your home is a international gateway for Delta. But if all your trips start or end in CID then it is much harder to say "Oh, I just flew OAL from my foreign home..."
However that's not the criteria DL used. DL simply cares what address is listed as primary. To list an address outside US, you need a document on the list. No where in there, is any requirement to fly DL internationally.

Can anyone show this supposed domestic only rule? Or show where action was taken based on only flying domestic? IMO only flying domestic is in DLs interest. No international flights means getting elite status is much, much harder.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
However that's not the criteria DL used. DL simply cares what address is listed as primary. To list an address outside US, you need a document on the list. No where in there, is any requirement to fly DL internationally.

Can anyone show this supposed domestic only rule? Or show where action was taken based on only flying domestic? IMO only flying domestic is in DLs interest. No international flights means getting elite status is much, much harder.
I noticed that myself. Does the OP have a driving license, student ID card, faculty ID card real estate tax bill, or other document mailed to and showing the OP's address? I'm guessing that the OP is not a US citizen or Permanent Resident. If the OP is an F-1 on a one year fellowship, or an exchange student, what is everybody going to say?

I don't know how Delta will deal with a situation like this, but it certainly seems to me that the OP can meet the requirements if the intention isn't to reside indefinitely in the USA. And there's no such thing as "Delta Law" or a "Delta Immigration Act." It won't make the OP inadmissible or removable if Delta interprets their rules differently than he would. The worst that could happen would be that Delta would throw the OP out of the program, forcing him to fly Emirates and sit at the bar on the airplane, or deliberately extend connecting times in Hong Kong in order to maximize time spent in the lounge.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:32 pm

Do you think that by trying to circumvent the rules, you're cheating?

Because, it is cheating, and you might or might not get caught, but you stand to lose a lot if you do.

The rest is your interpretation of the rules. Delta's might differ, considering that they don't want US residents to cheat.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's up to Delta to determine.

I also have to wonder why people on here are getting so mad about others using a foreign address and how these people are "cheating" Delta. I'd venture to say that it comes down more to jealousy that others can take advantage of the "loophole" while the one getting mad about it can't. Otherwise, why care? That's between Delta and the ones using a foreign address.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I don't think anybody is complaining about those who legitimately have (or can claim) a foreign address. My comments were directed to those who were talking about "manufacturing" a foreign address.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I don't think anybody is complaining about those who legitimately have (or can claim) a foreign address. My comments were directed to those who were talking about "manufacturing" a foreign address.
What about those who manufacture spend on their amex cards?
Seabilly likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Do you think that by trying to circumvent the rules, you're cheating?

Because, it is cheating, and you might or might not get caught, but you stand to lose a lot if you do.

The rest is your interpretation of the rules. Delta's might differ, considering that they don't want US residents to cheat.
It's not cheating or gaming the rules. In fact you're making up a rule where none exists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.