Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Workarounds for attaining Diamond medallion in 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Workarounds for attaining Diamond medallion in 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Grogs
Can you elaborate on how you managed to pull off nearly 120k MQM with less than $1k MQD? Is it just a terrible MQD multiplier on a low-tier partner? I wouldn't think you could get anywhere close to that on DL metal as it works out to less than $0.01 per mile.
And an average of $31.24 per segment????
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Can you elaborate on how you managed to pull off nearly 120k MQM with less than $1k MQD? Is it just a terrible MQD multiplier on a low-tier partner? I wouldn't think you could get anywhere close to that on DL metal as it works out to less than $0.01 per mile.
Multiple DL Amex Reserves? Stacking boosts?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by yohanson
I'm DM the hard way with Hilton and am wondering what is this hotel upgrades thing you are speaking of. Hell, I can't even park in my reserved parking spots at Hampton Inns because they are always occupied.
Because Hilton will give out Gold status with just simply having a credit card or diamond with only $40K in credit card spend with no hotel activity. Makes it hard for gold's who spend 30+ nights a year in Hiltons or diamonds 60+ to get upgrades when they are competing against people who have the status with just a $75 a year credit card.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
And an average of $31.24 per segment????
That's the part I don't get. MQMs, well, could be multiple credit cards for most of it, but having 26 flown segments but only $781 in MQDs I really don't understand.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some people do segment runs. A cheap ticket with two or three segments in each direction might get into this range if the person only takes such flights and never travels based on need to get to some specific place at a specific time.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
That's the part I don't get. MQMs, well, could be multiple credit cards for most of it, but having 26 flown segments but only $781 in MQDs I really don't understand.
Seems perfectly doable if people charge extensively on their DL Amex, then book most airfare with Pay With Miles. Collect the MQMs, don't collect the MQDs. Not too tough.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
Seems perfectly doable if people charge extensively on their DL Amex, then book most airfare with Pay With Miles. Collect the MQMs, don't collect the MQDs. Not too tough.
I suppose, although, in that sort of scenario, I'd wonder whether just charging on a 2% cashback card, and buying tickets for cash, wouldn't make more sense.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: DL DM
I suppose, although, in that sort of scenario, I'd wonder whether just charging on a 2% cashback card, and buying tickets for cash, wouldn't make more sense.
True. One would have to factor the MQM boosts though if chasing status...and of course this calculus has changed for DM in the future.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Not saying this was done, but if you burned a lot of miles with PWM you could end up with that sort result. You earn full MQMs (and MQSs) but only MQDs on the cash portion (taxes and fees come out of the cash portion first)
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Not really a workaround, but flying from Tampa to MSP for the Superbowl could almost get you DM in just 5 hours each way, off that one domestic flight...
Attached Images  
TheMadBrewer and Adelphos like this.

Last edited by ULDB65; Oct 9, 2017 at 3:36 pm
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Not saying this was done, but if you burned a lot of miles with PWM you could end up with that sort result. You earn full MQMs (and MQSs) but only MQDs on the cash portion (taxes and fees come out of the cash portion first)
Sure, that could do it, but the poster said that it's not hard to get 120k MQM and get nowhere near the MQD threshold, then posted what seemed to be a rather extreme example. Using PWM like that would probably cost at least 500k SM, so it's not really what I would consider 'easy'.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by ULDB65
Not really a workaround, but flying from Tampa to MSP for the Superbowl could just about get you DM off that one domestic flight...
That's gotta be routed through someplace insane, right?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
That's gotta be routed through someplace insane, right?
Nope- regular flight TPA-ATL-MSP. You can see travel time including layover in ATL is only about 5 hours.

Most first class tickets were only $7-$8k, but the popular ones were higher.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, AS MVPG 100K
A bad scenario perhaps?

I hate to be the party pooper here, but what would prevent Delta from doing the following:

"Effective 30 April / some other date before the next calendar year, to qualify for Diamond Status, you must have spent AT LEAST $7k/9k/12k of the $15k MQD requirement with DL...."

I'm not giving them an idea here, but the fear that they can nerf the MQD workarounds and leave us with thousand-dollar partner flights that we cannot fully use to earn DM, is making me think twice about even trying.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ithacxa
I hate to be the party pooper here, but what would prevent Delta from doing the following:

"Effective 30 April / some other date before the next calendar year, to qualify for Diamond Status, you must have spent AT LEAST $7k/9k/12k of the $15k MQD requirement with DL...."

I'm not giving them an idea here, but the fear that they can nerf the MQD workarounds and leave us with thousand-dollar partner flights that we cannot fully use to earn DM, is making me think twice about even trying.
Not a new idea. UA only credits MQDs from partner flights if they are ticketed on a UA ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.