Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Workarounds for attaining Diamond medallion in 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Workarounds for attaining Diamond medallion in 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
"Mileage run" in PE and J on partner airlines, booked through partner airlines where you earn MQDs as a percentage of distance flown (some can be 25-30% of distance flown). Though I have to wonder if DL will close that somehow or change the earnings.
Until DL knows how much you spent on partner tickets, they can't close it completely, and it's not really that large of a loophole to begin with. For every super-awesome-premium-economy fare you can find, it's offset by an expensive-low-bucket-coach-fare that earns 5%, or even a pricier-premium-economy-fare-in-the-same-fare-bucket. I suspect in the aggregate the numbers roughly balance out. If they don't, then you'll see DL tweak the percentages.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bennos
Until DL knows how much you spent on partner tickets, they can't close it completely, and it's not really that large of a loophole to begin with. For every super-awesome-premium-economy fare you can find, it's offset by an expensive-low-bucket-coach-fare that earns 5%, or even a pricier-premium-economy-fare-in-the-same-fare-bucket. I suspect in the aggregate the numbers roughly balance out. If they don't, then you'll see DL tweak the percentages.
DL could decide that only spend on DL flights (however that's defined precisely, maybe including JVs in some cases) counts toward MQD. That would be easy.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by syd999
The math depends on a bunch of factors. In my example, i spend $100k already. So I need to "spend" $150000 additionally which costs me $2805. Assuming 1 cent a mile, $150000 gives me $1500 in miles. Diamond choice benefits of $200, 25k points is another $450 in benefits. Total cost now is $855 for me for 4 global certificates and priority in upgrades. Probably worth it to me.
If you already have $100K a year on credit card spends, why even play the game? Please indulge me why is so hard to attain $15K of DL PQD, given your spending level.
BoeingGuy likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Repooc17
If you already have $100K a year on credit card spends, why even play the game? Please indulge me why is so hard to attain $15K of DL PQD, given your spending level.
Probably because someone spending $100K a year on a CC doesn't mean they're spending $15K per year on airline travel? They could be putting work expenses, mortgage payments, car payments, college tuition payments for kids or student loan payments, etc. on the card, and if so, I could easily see where that totals $100K for some people, all without spending $15K per year on air travel.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:31 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL could decide that only spend on DL flights (however that's defined precisely, maybe including JVs in some cases) counts toward MQD. That would be easy.
I believe UA for example already only counts EQDs on 016 tickets.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Probably because someone spending $100K a year on a CC doesn't mean they're spending $15K per year on airline travel? They could be putting work expenses, mortgage payments, car payments, college tuition payments for kids or student loan payments, etc. on the card, and if so, I could easily see where that totals $100K for some people, all without spending $15K per year on air travel.
Of course not. That said, unless one has a huge rollover MQM balance, it takes a good chunk of $ to meet the DM level of MOM, even on heavily discounted fares.

It's not about $15K in PQD, but rather the remainder to get to $15K in PQD. Evaluate that number vs. the incremental credit card spend to $250K (at mostly 1 mile per dollar no less).
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
How does Manufacturing $250K in spend cost $4650 I dont get it
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by aero0729
How does Manufacturing $250K in spend cost $4650 I dont get it
In the scenario that was being discussed:

2) Manufactured spend on AMEX to hit $250k. The lowest charge is 1.87% for (over) paying income taxes [...]
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
That's a lot of money! That would be $4,675 to manufacture $250K!
i.e. if you had nothing else you needed to buy, and had to manufacture $250K of spend from scratch and pay 1.87% to do it then $250K x 1.87% = $4,675.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM/DM, *wood Lifetime Gold
exactly.. This year, I hit DM with ~7000 in MQD. $8000 in additional spending is a bridge too far for DM status.
SFCav likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM/DM, *wood Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Of course not. That said, unless one has a huge rollover MQM balance, it takes a good chunk of $ to meet the DM level of MOM, even on heavily discounted fares.

It's not about $15K in PQD, but rather the remainder to get to $15K in PQD. Evaluate that number vs. the incremental credit card spend to $250K (at mostly 1 mile per dollar no less).
Thanks, that math will be different for everyone. For me, it's too much to bridge and the manufactured spend is the easiest route.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:36 am

exactly.. This year, I hit DM with ~7000 in MQD. $8000 in additional spending is a bridge too far for DM status.
I'm just curious, if you hit DM with only 7k MQD, how much are you really flying where DM would benefit you over PM?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:44 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Running about 250,000 MQMs/EQMs per year between DL and AA with almost no business travel is easiest done through flying in PE on partners.

I’m relinquishing my DL status once the waiver disppears as top tier status with AA has way more perks that DL doesn’t—mainly true International First Class lounges and more SWUs after 150k EQMs.

I will remain DL PL after 2018 putting $25k of my income taxes on my DL AMEX Reserve, Ive decided.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by guam17
I'm just curious, if you hit DM with only 7k MQD, how much are you really flying where DM would benefit you over PM?
I pretty much the same -- I'll do $7K MQDs this year, a bit up from last year and a bit down from 2 years ago.

For me it is all about the GUCs -- that lets me upgrade 4 outbound TATL trips and get some rest on the overnight portion. I am fine with C+ (and some Woodfords) on the returns. If the return is thru JFK I will (try to) use an ROC on the JFK-LAX leg. Sometimes on ATL-LAX but I've been less successful there.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
A lot of regular payments don't allow credit cards, they require direct debit from a checking account, or if they do allow credit cards, they charge a fee. I don't know of anyone who can, for example, pay mortgage or car payments to a credit card without paying a fee.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by 355F1
Running about 250,000 MQMs/EQMs per year between DL and AA with almost no business travel is easiest done through flying in PE on partners.

I’m relinquishing my DL status once the waiver disppears as top tier status with AA has way more perks that DL doesn’t—mainly true International First Class lounges and more SWUs after 150k EQMs.

I will remain DL PL after 2018 putting $25k of my income taxes on my DL AMEX Reserve, Ive decided.
Totally agree, if AA fixes up their award availability then they'd be competitive to me. MUCH better international lounges and their highest elite status is much more attainable with arguably more perks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.