Search

Switching to Delta in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A few here and there
Switching to Delta in 2018

Hi,

I hope this is not too duplicative. Longtime AA flyer due to location. Now living in SFO 2 weeks and ATL 2 weeks each month. Tired of the connect on AA. Been ExPlat for 5 years now and seriously considering making the switch. I fly 125-150K a year and should come close to the 15K spend with a mix of 1st and coach seats.

I'm debating between the Amex Plat and the Delta Reserve. With the latest change in the spending requirement, is there any reason to get the Delta Reserve card now?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Drunkmuppet; Sep 29, 2017 at 5:20 pm
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Drunkmuppet
Hi,

I hope this is not too duplicative. Longtime AA flyer due to location. Now living in SFO 2 weeks and ATL 2 weeks each month. Tired of the connect on AA. (Been ExPlat) for 5 years now and seriously considering making the switch. I fly 125-150K a year and should come close to the 15K spend with a mix of 1st and coach seats.

I'm debating between the Amex Plat and the Delta Reserve? With the latest change in the spending requirement, is there any reason to get the Delta Reserve card now?

Thank you in advance?
Amex Plat to be sure. The only plus about the Reserve in this situation is the upgrade tie-breaker. Upgrades are rare on SFO-ATL regardless.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A few here and there
Thanks, It's also true that DL does not do complimentary upgrades on SFO-JFK as well correct? That is an AA thing. (Although those are also almost non-existent without an SWU)
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks, It's also true that DL does not do complimentary upgrades on SFO-JFK as well correct? That is an AA thing. (Although those are also almost non-existent without an SWU)
No Comp UGs on any transcon D1 routes; JFK-LAX/SFO, DCA-LAX, or BOS-SFO. DL has two types of SWU. RUCs which can be used on any route except TPAC/TATL/East Coast-Hawaii Nonstop/or D1 South America rotes. (These CAN be used on transcon D1 routes) and GUCs which can be used on any route.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
Skyclub membership is still a Diamond choice benefit option and the waiver, for all intents and purposes, doesn't exist anymore. Why do you want either (doesn't sound like you'd need the MQM boost)?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:50 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Hi,

is there any reason to get the Delta Reserve card now?

Thank you in advance.
AMEX PLT gives you a domestic companion ticket in Y annually, and 10k Bonus MQMs AND 10k RDMS after spending $25k in a year.

AMEX Reserve gives you a domestic FIRST CLASS companion ticket annually, and gives you 15k Bonus MQMs and 15k RDMS after spending $30k in a year.

Last edited by 355F1; Sep 29, 2017 at 11:29 pm
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 355F1
AMEX PLT gives you a domestic companion ticket in Y annually, and 10k Bonus MQMs AND 10k RDMS after spending $25k in a year.

AMEX Reserve gives you a domestic FIRST CLASS ticket annually, and gives you 15k Bonus MQMs and 15k RDMS after spending $30k in a year.
He's not talking about the Plat DL Amex.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 355F1

AMEX Reserve gives you a domestic FIRST CLASS ticket annually, and gives you 15k Bonus MQMs and 15k RDMS after spending $30k in a year.
The Reserve card gives you a FC COMPANION ticket, not a domestic FC ticket every year.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Hi,

I hope this is not too duplicative. Longtime AA flyer due to location. Now living in SFO 2 weeks and ATL 2 weeks each month. Tired of the connect on AA. Been ExPlat for 5 years now and seriously considering making the switch. I fly 125-150K a year and should come close to the 15K spend with a mix of 1st and coach seats.

I'm debating between the Amex Plat and the Delta Reserve. With the latest change in the spending requirement, is there any reason to get the Delta Reserve card now?

Thank you in advance.
Are you asking about the "Amex Platinum" or the "Delta Platinum by Amex"?
Personally, without the MQM/MQD boost (which you wouldn't need it sounds like), I don't see a reason to get the Delta branded cards. Amex MRs can be transferred to Delta anyway for award flights, and with the Amex Platinum you get Delta lounge access on all itineraries (when flying Delta), plus the Centurion Lounge in SFO, and 5x points on airfare instead of 2x on DL purchases. Plus oodles of other benefits.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
I vote Platinum over Reserve, many more benefits. OTOH, I still typically put my plane tickets on my CSR as it has much better travel protection. Even better travel protection is the Citi Prestige. Good to have options.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, the huge difference is that the regular Plat charge card currently has much much much much (etc.) customer service than the Reserve card. At one point, not long after the merger I was told that the two cards were supposed to offer equivalent levels of customer service since the fees are approximately the same, but the customer service part of this statement is definitely not true now.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:28 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The Reserve card gives you a FC COMPANION ticket, not a domestic FC ticket every year.
Yes. I forgot to type "companion".
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
To me, the huge difference is that the regular Plat charge card currently has much much much much (etc.) customer service than the Reserve card. At one point, not long after the merger I was told that the two cards were supposed to offer equivalent levels of customer service since the fees are approximately the same, but the customer service part of this statement is definitely not true now.
Not to mention 5x on airfare spend.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
I don't disagree with that, Customer Service is arguably superior at AMEX. To be fair, the $300 travel rebate on the CSR is so easily achievable that it's essentially a $150 AF card. But I do think the travel benefits are a huge differentiator. I've benefited from the 6 hour travel delay for $500 and there's the primary auto rental insurance. Just something to consider.

https://millionmilesecrets.com/2017/...tion-benefits/
Old Sep 30, 2017, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Well, I have all three.

Reserve Card and DL Plat for the companion certs (I barely even use the DL Plat...the companion cert alone is worthwhile). Unbranded Amex Plat for PP, Cent Lounges, rental car status (now that I don't rent cars as much), 5x airfare, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.