Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does Delta fly any planes with lie flat from ATL to LAX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium

Seatguru seems to say yes with the 764, but the Delta site only seems to be showing the 757. I am trying to use an AMEX Reserve cert and would far prefer a lie flat. Thanks
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, at times aircraft larger than the 767 have appeared on this route. Look for the continuation of the SYD flight and vv.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Valveking
Seatguru seems to say yes with the 764, but the Delta site only seems to be showing the 757. I am trying to use an AMEX Reserve cert and would far prefer a lie flat. Thanks
Would depend on the specific day, but at the very least Delta seems to have one 777 flight a day on ATL-LAX but it is about a 9/9:30 AM departure so if you are connecting in ATL you might not arrive early enough to make that flight
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Flew LAX-ATL on an A330 last year.

Look in this thread for possible wide bodies:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ve-thread.html

Here are some in the system already:

Boeing 767-400ER

DL1219 ATL-LAX 11:00am arrives 1:05pm (From 11/25/17-4/24/18)

Boeing 777-200LR/ER
DL240 ATL-LAX 8:20am arrives 10:20am
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Thanks guys. I found one on the 764, but it doesn't appear to be available with the cert. I probably shouldn't be surprised.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I just did LAX-ATL on a 777-200.

I was in paid FC and was able to move to this flight from a later flight that would have been on a 757. Of course, it does not work that way when using upgrades.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Xeno

I was in paid FC and was able to move to this flight from a later flight that would have been on a 757. Of course, it does not work that way when using upgrades.
HUH? If you have a confirmed instrument supported upgrade, you can SDC directly into FC, although it seems to help if the ticket has already been reissued as FC.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm on a red-eye A330-300 in January.

*EDIT: Oops, just saw that you were asking for the other direction. That IDK because I think this is a 1-way. Sorry.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:02 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Xeno

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
HUH? If you have a confirmed instrument supported upgrade, you can SDC directly into FC, although it seems to help if the ticket has already been reissued as FC.
While true, I assume Xeno was referring to comp upgrades, so you're both right (though with a comp upgrade, if you make sure that they re-add you which is not a given, then it is at least theoretically possible to get re-upgraded following a SDC)
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
OP said he was using the AMEX Reserve cert. and wants a lie flat. To me, that means he wants to purchase first but the required fare bucket for the cert. isn't available on the lie flat flight(s).

I've SDC'd onto the 777 LAX-ATL many times, once while using a cert. It's tougher when 2 of you are traveling (again, I'm presuming there are two of you because otherwise you're wasting the cert.), and you may not get seated next to each other. If you're going to try it, book the earliest departure (like a 6am) that is available and be ready to SDC right at the 24 hour mark. I realize you originally asked about going the other way ATL --> LAX, but the principle is the same.

Good luck!
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2082 ATL-LAX will be a 777 starting Oct 1 (likely to serve as positioning for DL185 to PVG). Switches to flight 709 on Oct 30 and 1255 on Nov 6.

You need A fare availability to use the cert. These have a 2 week advance purchase requirement on this route and there is not availability on every day. A fares on the 777 are $636 - $626 on this route. You can use ITA matrix to do calendar search based on aircraft type (aircraft t:777) to see dates when there is availability in A (look for dates where fare is $636 or less). There's a $100 surcharge built into the fare for the 777, so you might try booking a cheaper ticket for $518.20 on a non-lie flat aircraft and spinning the roulette wheel to SDC onto the 777.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 29, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.