Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Downgraded after Boarding - No one cares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE

I know- we are NOT entitled to upgrades. It’s totally free (not so much ) and the airline can do what they want to us.

Today i I was on 739 going from LAX-DFW. Got upgraded at T-30min , as many have mentioned that T-40 thing is rare .

I sit down and order a drink and then 3 minutes later the GA comes down with a new boarding pass for 10a. I was told there was through passengers who needed these seats (whatever that means ) expert flyer showed F2 and the app showed seats for sale before I was upgraded and the upgrades were done late.

I called into DL and was offered 5000 miles which I value at around $40-$50. Is that fair compensation for a downgrade on a 3 hour flight. Does the free upgrade really never belong to you ? Even after sitting down?

The agent on on the phone read back policy to me and never even apologizes. This was Customer Service, not the Diamond desk. She said if I think I’m due more compensation for not getting my “free” upgrade (Yes she said it like that) Then I should email corporate. Wow! Nice
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I'm not liking the way things are going with upgrades lately. It hasn't happened to me yet but I'm sure it will with all the reports of it happening recently.
jjmiller69, CO-PLAT and banness like this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
American, United, and Spirit all fly non-stop LAX-DFW. Southwest and Virgin America fly LAX-DAL. Give them a try and see if you like them any better. Every time you buy a ticket on Delta you're reaffirming that DL is the best overall choice for your needs.
sdadept, hi55us, zpaul and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by aero0729
I know- we are NOT entitled to upgrades. It’s totally free (not so much ) and the airline can do what they want to us.

Today i I was on 739 going from LAX-DFW. Got upgraded at T-30min , as many have mentioned that T-40 thing is rare .

I sit down and order a drink and then 3 minutes later the GA comes down with a new boarding pass for 10a. I was told there was through passengers who needed these seats (whatever that means ) expert flyer showed F2 and the app showed seats for sale before I was upgraded and the upgrades were done late.

I called into DL and was offered 5000 miles which I value at around $40-$50. Is that fair compensation for a downgrade on a 3 hour flight. Does the free upgrade really never belong to you ? Even after sitting down?

The agent on on the phone read back policy to me and never even apologizes. This was Customer Service, not the Diamond desk. She said if I think I’m due more compensation for not getting my “free” upgrade (Yes she said it like that) Then I should email corporate. Wow! Nice
if you got your original (or better) seat back, then yes 5000 miles seems fine to me. Stuck in a middle seat and I would be upset at that offer.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
American, United, and Spirit all fly non-stop LAX-DFW. Southwest and Virgin America fly LAX-DAL. Give them a try and see if you like them any better. Every time you buy a ticket on Delta you're reaffirming that DL is the best overall choice for your needs.
Agreed. I’ve been mixing ! I actually prefer American now
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire

I've reached a point of screen capturing upgrade and standby lists if I am on the cusp of an upgrade. My suggestion is to fill out the form on delta dot com and attach any proof you have, as the one time I've had an issue (standby list and fairly obviously non rev upgraded over #1 on upgrade list in a no-show situation, plenty of time before door closing), they personally called and apologized and said they would be disciplining the GA.

Yes, we are not entitled to it, but it's an advertised benefit with semi-transparent policies and lists in place. I would personally like all policies to be clearer, openly published, and more consistently enforced.
dmarge18 and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
The same thing happened to me earlier this year on MSP-EWR, when I went from 1D to 12B (my original Y+ seat). The original pax showed up with a BP for my F seat, and I didn't know otherwise I'd been downgraded, and the F/A looked up my new (well, old) seat assignment in his little tablet and told me to head back to Y.

The GA very quickly came on before the door closed to let me know that a late connecting pax had showed up, but that was the end of the discussion. I chalked it up to the GAs jumping the gun in terms of processing upgrades, and she was super apologetic about it. It didn't really cross my mind to ask for comp, honestly.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
There are reports of people getting upgrades at the 5 day window getting stuck in the back of the bus after their upgrade is rescinded at the gate.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Cory6188
The same thing happened to me earlier this year on MSP-EWR, when I went from 1D to 12B (my original Y+ seat). The original pax showed up with a BP for my F seat, and I didn't know otherwise I'd been downgraded, and the F/A looked up my new (well, old) seat assignment in his little tablet and told me to head back to Y.

The GA very quickly came on before the door closed to let me know that a late connecting pax had showed up, but that was the end of the discussion. I chalked it up to the GAs jumping the gun in terms of processing upgrades, and she was super apologetic about it. It didn't really cross my mind to ask for comp, honestly.
We're you the only one upgraded at the gate or the lowest one on the priority list to be upgraded (last)?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by yohanson
There are reports of people getting upgrades at the 5 day window getting stuck in the back of the bus after their upgrade is rescinded at the gate.
This shouldn't happen. It sounds like DL is confirming the upgrades but continuing to try to sell the seat as FCM, which to me is wrong.

Is downgrade compensation then given to these folks?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

I was 2/2 for 2 open seats. We cleared at T-30. Both of us got sent back. These were not mistake upgrades there were two seats for sale. They accommodated to through passengers is what they are saying. The people who took our seats were paying first class passengers but they were not on our flight they put them in after they processed our upgrades
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:47 pm

I was 2/2 for 2 open seats. We cleared at T-30. Both of us got sent back. These were not mistake upgrades there were two seats for sale. They accommodated to through passengers is what they are saying. The people who took our seats were paying first class passengers but they were not on our flight they put them in after they processed our upgrades
To me, this sounds like the two were booked on another flight in FC and missed their connection, so that they were rebooked onto your flight.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It all depends on where you sit. OP is a Y pax on a freebie UG. Misconnecting F pax shows up and someone has to go sit in the back. DL's view is it's the guy on the freebie. Most would agree, particularly if they were that "through" F pax.

The alternative is not to process the UG's until it is time to close the flight. Then do a quick flurry and hope everyone pushes on time.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:35 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
If for whatever reason they deem it necessary to downgrade someone once in their seat onbaord, and, possibly even sipping on a PDB, even if someone got a last minute free UG, I think the "shame" of having to walk to the back, facing all those people, who are possibly thinking that YOU either tried to steal an F seat, or that you simply took the wrong seat - - - they should offer some type of comp in these situations.

If they catch it before you board, that's an entirely different situation, IMO.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I thought that, once upon a time at least, it was policy that if you lost an upgrade seat you've been awarded, that you got essentially an RUC for a future trip. I take it that either never was, or is no longer, policy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.