Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Fare Discrepancy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Delta Fare Discrepancy

Just wanted to get some input from everyone on a recent experience with Delta.

On Delta.com, I entered a roundtrip and came up with a fare of $1700. When I entered it segment by segment, using the multicity, the fare dropped to $973. Naturally, I go to book this fare and once all my info has been entered along with the credit card, it states the fare expired. This has been the case since June and also was occurring on other sites such as Travelocity and Expedia.

Delta honored the price in June and again yesterday. However, another traveler wanted to extend his trip by one week and the same situation occurred so I called Delta. Delta stated its a point to point and not a multi-city even though we were overnighting on the outbound portion.

They would not honor the price on the web when entered as a multi-city. I feel they should have as they've been aware of this for quite some time and if it's wrong, the system should catch/correct it before displaying the final fare and not allow you to select seats, pay etc. I also think its BS that a fare can vary in such a significant manner when booking it segment by segment vs. just entering the departure & arrival airports.

One Delta supervisor rep from the web support would not provide her supervisor's contact info stating she has no supervisor. She then said don't bother calling to complain because the customer service only hears complaints from past travel.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1. Have you looked at the fare rules?

2. Do you have any stopovers, defined as over 4 hours for domestic and over 24 hours for international itineraries?

3. What fare classes and fare codes appear? In particular, is this a broken fare?

4. What fare classes/codes and fare rules for the more expensive ticket?

5. Have you checked fare class availability on EF or someplace similar?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TAKEOFF2DAY
They would not honor the price on the web when entered as a multi-city. I feel they should have as they've been aware of this for quite some time and if it's wrong, the system should catch/correct it before displaying the final fare and not allow you to select seats, pay etc. I also think its BS that a fare can vary in such a significant manner when booking it segment by segment vs. just entering the departure & arrival airports.
That's married segment availability. It's legal in the U.S. It's been employed for probably 25+ years.

Post-ticketing price increases are prohibited by DOT rule. If you have a ticket DL won't honor as ticketed, tell them you'll report it to the DOT. Delta doesn't need to allow you to change a ticket and retain that pricing, however.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/399.88
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP expressly states that he was unable to ticket. Thus, no violation of the DOT rule.

This does sound like married segments although impossible to tell unless OP provides the specifics, including fare basis by segment.

DL won't provide direct contact information to supervisors (who would ever deal with front line staff). It is certainly fair to ask the individual with whom you were speaking to connect you to a supervisor rather than her specific manager which is a different issue.

Problem is that agents are no longer trained in fare construction because it is not relevant to their job. They make entries in a form and the form data provides a fare. Why that fare is what it is may be in the knowledge base of someone quite far up the food chain.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:25 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
Problem is that agents are no longer trained in fare construction because it is not relevant to their job. They make entries in a form and the form data provides a fare. Why that fare is what it is may be in the knowledge base of someone quite far up the food chain.
I find this remark amusing, but, likely accurate.

Whenever I have fare issues booking multi-city trips, when I call, and the fare I'm quoted is higher than what I'm trying / expecting to get it down to, I'll usually hafto say to the agent......something like.......

"OK, which segment(s) aren't pricing in "V" class?"

Then I'll go back to the drawing board to try'n figure out what the problem is and fix it.

It shouldn't be that hard, though. Once DL.com quotes a price, it should be honored, not this bogus stuff where the price is jacked up one step before the very end!
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:33 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's married segment availability. It's legal in the U.S. It's been employed for probably 25+ years.

Post-ticketing price increases are prohibited by DOT rule. If you have a ticket DL won't honor as ticketed, tell them you'll report it to the DOT. Delta doesn't need to allow you to change a ticket and retain that pricing, however.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/399.88
I remember very distinctly when Delta started enforcing Journey Control for married segments. Here is a good thread about it from 2006.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ve-thread.html

Prior to the enforcement, one could use the multi city search by segment and get it to ticket without issues.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Below are the fare rules:

If the itinerary has more than one fare rule, the most restrictive rule applies to the entire itinerary.

FARE RULE SUMMARYFULL FARE RULESRISK-FREE CANCELLATIONREFUND POLICY
HFD TO BON
BON TO HFD
HFD to BONFARE CODE - LNNF2NMZ
Fare Rule Summary for HFD - BON
Voluntary Changes IN THE EVENT OF CHANGES TO TICKETED FLIGHTS BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY - APPLIES WITHIN TKT VALIDITY CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN BY THOSE OF DL INTERNATIONAL FARES CHARGE USD 200...
SUPER/SPECIAL APEX FARES L FOR ROUND TRIP FARES FOR ADULT
Flight Application THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY LA ANY BA FLIGHT OPERATED BY LA ANY IB FLIGHT OPERATED BY LA...
Advance Reservations and Ticketing RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 7 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE...
Minimum Stay TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 2 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN OR - TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN
Stopovers NO STOPOVERS PERMITTED
Transfers UNLIMITED TRANSFERS PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT ONLINE ON THE PRIMARY CARRIER...
Combinability DOUBLE OPEN JAWS NOT PERMITTED...
Surcharges IF INFANT 0-1 WITHOUT A SEAT...
Surcharges THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR TRAVEL PER DIRECTION
Sales Restrictions TICKETS MAY NOT BE SOLD IN VENEZUELA/NIGERIA/CUBA/EGYPT/ ZIMBABWE...
Penalties CANCELLATIONS ANY TIME TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF CANCEL/NO-SHOW...
Ticket Endorsements THE ORIGINAL AND THE REISSUED TICKET MUST BE ANNOTATED - NONREF/PENALTY APPLIES - IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX
Children Discounts ACCOMPANIED CHILD 2-11 - CHARGE 100 PERCENT OF THE FARE...
Voluntary Changes IN THE EVENT OF CHANGES TO TICKETED FLIGHTS BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY - APPLIES WITHIN TKT VALIDITY CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN BY THOSE OF DL INTERNATIONAL FARES CHARGE USD 200...
REFER TO PENALTIES CATEGORY 16
Application ROUND-TRIP FARES BETWEEN THE UNITED STATES/CANADA AND AREA 1 APPLICATION AREA THESE FARES APPLY BETWEEN THE UNITED STATES/CANADA AND AREA 1...
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP expressly states that he was unable to ticket. Thus, no violation of the DOT rule.

This does sound like married segments although impossible to tell unless OP provides the specifics, including fare basis by segment.

DL won't provide direct contact information to supervisors (who would ever deal with front line staff). It is certainly fair to ask the individual with whom you were speaking to connect you to a supervisor rather than her specific manager which is a different issue.

I couldn't ticket on Delta.com, after entering the credit card info I would get an error "Uh-oh! We're sorry, but your flight results have expired. So that you have the most up-to-date information, please submit your request again. #300515R ". I called Web support and they booked it twice. Last night my father tried to extend his trip by one week and they would not honor the $937 price so he would have to pay about another $1200 including the change fee.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I couldn't ticket on Delta.com, after entering the credit card info I would get an error "Uh-oh! We're sorry, but your flight results have expired. So that you have the most up-to-date information, please submit your request again. #300515R ". I called Web support and they booked it twice. Last night my father tried to extend his trip by one week and they would not honor the $937 price so he would have to pay about another $1200 including the change fee.
Has father already flown the outbound portion of the RT? Also, is there a maximum stay rule that the new dates would violate?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:56 am
Original Poster

He was flying out on Friday, overnighting in Atlanta then flying out on Saturday. Return portion- has no overnight just connecting in ATL.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:57 am

He was flying out on Friday, overnighting in Atlanta then flying out on Saturday. Return portion- has no overnight just connecting in ATL.
Is the "overnight" under or over 24 hours? That can matter a lot!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:02 am
Original Poster

The overnight was less than 24 hrs. Arriving in ATL around 10 p.m. and leaving Saturday morning around 10 a.m.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:11 am

The overnight was less than 24 hrs. Arriving in ATL around 10 p.m. and leaving Saturday morning around 10 a.m.
This is a connection and not a stopover, although often delta.dumb will not let one book such connections, either as a regular RT or (now as this seems to be fairly new) as multicity but giving the correct RT fare. For me, calling the DM line and giving exactly the segments I want seems to work to get the ticket.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:14 am
Original Poster

It worked twice when I called but this last time they denied it. They stated the other supervisors were wrong to honor because it's not a multi-city.

The correct RT fare was $1700 but the multi-city came to $973. I would think the system would catch it and display the correct fare based upon what's entered and the fare rules.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:24 am

It worked twice when I called but this last time they denied it. They stated the other supervisors were wrong to honor because it's not a multi-city.

The correct RT fare was $1700 but the multi-city came to $973. I would think the system would catch it and display the correct fare based upon what's entered and the fare rules.
A real multicity fare should involve several destinations, meaning that it should include a genuine stopover. If the multicity fare really is cheaper (which is unusual), try making the overnight stop in ATL exceed 24 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.