Wiki Posts
Search

Delta ticket CLT to CDG Roundtrip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, Delta
Delta ticket CLT to CDG Roundtrip

Yesterday, I booked a CLT to CDG round trip ticket on Delta's website. My outbound flights are operated by Delta, but in order to get the really low fare I wanted, my return flight segment from CDG to JFK is operated by Air France.

I was able to select seats for all of the flights except the Air France segment. Air France apparently charges you if you want to select a seat at time of booking. I have had my selected seat changed on so many flights, I didn't want to pay for something I knew could be changed. Traveling alone, so no one needing to sit beside me.

Will I be able to select a seat when completing my online check in prior to travel? Or is it assigned and no choice in the matter? It's a 777, so hate the idea of a center seat if I could get an aisle.

Also, since the ticket was issued by Delta, when I depart from CDG, do I go to the Delta check-in desk to drop bag or Air France? Will I be able to print off my boarding pass for the Air France flight on Delta's website?

Sorry, I'm a bit of a novice at this. Appreciate any assistance you experts might offer.

Thank you.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1. Unless the flight is extremely full, you'll be able to select a seat from the seat map at OLCI. For best results, do OLCI as early as possible. IIRC this is 30 (not 24) hours before departure of your first segment in that direction.

2. If you attempt OLCI from your DL itinerary on delta.dumb, you'll be automatically sent to the AF website (in English) to check in for your return flight. It looks a little different but it's easy to use.

3. You do airport check in and drop bags with AF for a direction that starts with an AF operated segment. Don't go to DL at CDG, although the same area might process both the AF and DL flights to the USA. You're flight will be listed on a monitor that indicates the assigned check in area for your specific flight at CDG.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by LoriEleanor
Yesterday, I booked a CLT to CDG round trip ticket on Delta's website. My outbound flights are operated by Delta, but in order to get the really low fare I wanted, my return flight segment from CDG to JFK is operated by Air France.

I was able to select seats for all of the flights except the Air France segment. Air France apparently charges you if you want to select a seat at time of booking. I have had my selected seat changed on so many flights, I didn't want to pay for something I knew could be changed. Traveling alone, so no one needing to sit beside me.

Will I be able to select a seat when completing my online check in prior to travel? Or is it assigned and no choice in the matter? It's a 777, so hate the idea of a center seat if I could get an aisle.

Also, since the ticket was issued by Delta, when I depart from CDG, do I go to the Delta check-in desk to drop bag or Air France? Will I be able to print off my boarding pass for the Air France flight on Delta's website?

Sorry, I'm a bit of a novice at this. Appreciate any assistance you experts might offer.

Thank you.
You should be able to select a seat at check-in, but if you want a particular seat, it's best to pony up the cash and choose it now. Have you gone to AF's website to confirm you have to pay for seat selection?

You'll check in with Air France at CDG. Boarding passes are iffy. It's been my experience that about every other time, I'll need to get my boarding pass at the airport. Sometimes I get lucky and can get it on the Delta app. You can always view your flight info on AF's website as well using your confirmation number.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I did go to Air France's website and pulled up my flights using my confirmation number. When trying to select a seat for the CDG - JFK segment, it only allows me to view the cabin seat layout. You cannot select any seats at all. The top of the page does say "You can now choose your seat at no charge. If you cannot find the seat you want, an additional seat selection process will be offered at no charge when you check in online, starting 30 hours before your flight or at the airport."

A bit misleading since it says you can now choose... but you cannot.

I don't mind paying for an aisle seat, but I know even if I do that, my selection is not guaranteed.

I will check the departures board at CDG to see which hall I check in at. I thought it would be at Delta since the ticket was issued by Delta. So, I am glad I asked.

Thanks to all. A round trip ticket for $492 was an amazing deal. Especially around the holiday season.
altabello likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond
Hi and welcome

Did you try to enter your reservation number on the Air France US website?

Then overthrew you can choose your seat. Delta might even show still „select your seat“ or will display an error if you try to do anything on the delta website with that Air France leg.

Sometimes you have a different reservation number with Air France than the one displayed by Delta. If the AF website doesn‘t show your booking, call delta to find your AF booking reference.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:41 am

I did go to Air France's website and pulled up my flights using my confirmation number. When trying to select a seat for the CDG - JFK segment, it only allows me to view the cabin seat layout. You cannot select any seats at all. "
Not sure of your status with Delta, but I had the same thing happen. Make sure your Delta FF# appears on the AF flight record (on the AF website). If not, add it in. When I did, I was able to select seats.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the updates.

If I try to select a seat on the Delta website for the AF segment, I must pay to select any seat. When I go to the AF website, using my Delta confirmation number, my Delta Skymiles number is clearly noted, yet I still cannot select a seat on the AF leg.

I even tried using the AF confirmation number (different from the Delta confirmation number) on the AF website and still could not select a seat.

I recall similar problems a few years ago, but it was Lufthansa, not AF. I never could resolve the issue until I got to the airport. I was so hoping things might have improved since then.

I wish I could have chosen a Delta operated return flight, but there were none at the rate I got...

Trying to avoid massive lines at CDG for boarding passes and bag drop by having all my ducks in a row.

I think I'll just go back to the Delta site and pay the fee...
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

I just called Air France and was told that they changed their seat selection options about 2 years ago. Now, at least when booking an economy seat, you cannot select your seat at time of booking without paying a fee. You can avoid the fee by allowing AF to assign you a seat at online check-in, 30 hours prior to departure time.

And I am not guaranteed the seat I purchase. If aircraft (or something) changes, they attempt to keep me in an aisle seat, if that is what I purchased..

I'm going to select and pay fee now...
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
And I am not guaranteed the seat I purchase. If aircraft (or something) changes, they attempt to keep me in an aisle seat, if that is what I purchased..

I'm going to select and pay fee now...
AF seems to have a very "interesting" auto-seating algorithm. If you pay the fee to select a seat and there is an aircraft change, IME, you would be able to select another suitable seat.

And just verify the AF seat # shows up on your DL reservation
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
Yeah, I would be wary of this though. My friend and I were travelling during an AF strike and there was an equipment change from an A380 to a 773. I (GM) could pick a seat on the new flight no problem. For him, the seatmap was blank and he was shunted to a middle somewhere. This was only a problem because he had paid for the seat assignment on the delta website (and obviously did not choose a middle). While negotiating at checkin, the AF agent couldn't see he had ever paid for a seat assignment - so make sure you pay for it on the AF site.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My impression is that if there's a change of equipment or other issue, AF/KLM tend to be good to those who have paid for seats and horrible to DL elites who selected good seats for free.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:19 am
Original Poster

I did try to purchase a seat on the AF website, signing in using the AF confirmation number. Nope, cannot select/purchase the seat on their site. Had to go back to the Delta site to purchase the seat. I can only hope for the best. I did print out my seat purchase receipt showing my AF Preferred seat number and attached it to my confirmation paperwork.

I normally avoid AF as I have been impacted by strikes too many times in the past. In this case, it was my only choice for the low fare.

I do think it is a lousy practice to force you to pay to select seat. Especially knowing it is a cra* shoot as to whether you get the seat or not - and the purchase is non-refundable...
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:57 am

I did try to purchase a seat on the AF website, signing in using the AF confirmation number. Nope, cannot select/purchase the seat on their site. Had to go back to the Delta site to purchase the seat. I can only hope for the best. I did print out my seat purchase receipt showing my AF Preferred seat number and attached it to my confirmation paperwork.

I normally avoid AF as I have been impacted by strikes too many times in the past. In this case, it was my only choice for the low fare.

I do think it is a lousy practice to force you to pay to select seat. Especially knowing it is a cra* shoot as to whether you get the seat or not - and the purchase is non-refundable...
Even if they say it's nonrefundable, you certainly should get a refund if you don't get a seat of the type (not necessarily exactly the same seat) as you reserved and paid for. If AF/DL refuse, you can file a dispute with your credit card company.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I'll follow it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.