Search

Fridges at the gate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Fridges at the gate

Saw one of these in SMF recently, and found it interesting/never seen this at DL gates before. I assume this is for flight that they bring food to the gate because of substantial delays. Wondering if there was some other reason they would be there?

They were padlocked, and interestingly enough there was one of these fridges at every DL gate there.

Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Saw, and used, the same at FNT on Labor Day.
They also brought in pizza
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I also saw a pile of towels at ATL the other day from all the Diamond's who lost their upgrade
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Saw one of these in SMF recently, and found it interesting/never seen this at DL gates before. I assume this is for flight that they bring food to the gate because of substantial delays. Wondering if there was some other reason they would be there?

They were padlocked, and interestingly enough there was one of these fridges at every DL gate there.

Either DL is being prepared or DL is expecting a lot of delays.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Are they only at the Delta gates, or do the other gates have them also?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Are they only at the Delta gates, or do the other gates have them also?
Nope only the DL gates at least in SMF. Though every DL gate did have one plugged in and loaded with drinks.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
Originally Posted by hi55us
I also saw a pile of towels at ATL the other day from all the Diamond's who lost their upgrade
I don't know why this didn't get a better response...Bravo!
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
That does not seem like enough beverages for anything larger than a RJ.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

they are for delay accommodation. sadly, i've been party to using them a few times. they also put snacks out (chips, etc).

at hubs and other airports, they roll the stuff out on carts. SMF is staffed in a very streamlined way, so it's probably done with fridges for GA ease.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Has Delta moved to different gates at SMF? I haven't been to SMF in a couple of years.

I see in the picture a sign for gate "A12"; Delta's gates used to be A1 and A3.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ND76
Has Delta moved to different gates at SMF? I haven't been to SMF in a couple of years.

I see in the picture a sign for gate "A12"; Delta's gates used to be A1 and A3.
they use A10/12 for some of the E175 flights to SEA and LAX. most/all of the mainlines still go out of A1/3.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
I think I saw a larger "Coke" fridge lerking behind the gate D78 at PIT last time I flew out about a month ago. It was larger than the one in the picture (about the size of what you would find in a pizza/sandwich shop). No picture to share unfortunately.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
they use A10/12 for some of the E175 flights to SEA and LAX. most/all of the mainlines still go out of A1/3.
A12 that night was the flight to ATL on a 737-8

Though on the board they had the "future flights" at this gate info and they were all regionals in the AM
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A12 that night was the flight to ATL on a 737-8
I did say "most"
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:57 pm

I ponder DL's criteria for using them. Several weeks ago, my flight from DTW - West Coast was delayed for nearly four hours because the inbound aircraft was held up due to weather in North Carolina and the Red Coats refused the carts because it was a weather-related delay (it isn't; that's called an operational delay). More recently, an MD-88 pooped out and we waited over 2 hours for maintenance, but again, no cart.

I can only assume DL's trying to save money by cutting services that were intended to increase satisfaction. Unfortunately, I've had to buy a handful of last-minute tickets this year and ended up toward the back of the jet. On most of these flights, I did not receive a beverage service. A couple weeks ago I flew DTW-ATL and the FA announced 'due to the short duration of today's flight, a beverage service will not be served in the main cabin' (they did serve F & EC, but I bought my ticket literally at the last minute). ...? This was a MEAL flight through the 1990s...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.