Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: Delta Plat; AA; UA; USAir; HHonors; Priority Club
I think the point is this.
Let's say this. Small airport.
Day 1: 3 flights
Day 2: 3 flights
Let's say each flight is 90% filled.
If on Day 1, a flight is cancelled, they don't have room to accommodate all the passengers the next day.
So they delay a Day 1 flight to Day 2. Now they have room for all of the passengers.
Some 90% flights will now be 100% while the delayed flight will fall well below the 90% based on how many can be accommodated on earlier flights.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
The ethical move for an overnight “delay” is to cancel the flight number and rebook everyone on the same metal under a new, extra section, with ability to exercise other options. Had this happen to me once on AC Jazz (and they did provide hotels despite Wx being the underlying cause). Are the US regionals not set up to handle that?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
The ethical move for an overnight “delay” is to cancel the flight number and rebook everyone on the same metal under a new, extra section, with ability to exercise other options. Had this happen to me once on AC Jazz (and they did provide hotels despite Wx being the underlying cause). Are the US regionals not set up to handle that?
Of course they *can* do this, but it would be financially detrimental. If the flight is cancelled (by the regonial, without a request from the flag carrier) they don't get paid per their contact. Furthermore, unless the flag carrier (DL) requests the extra section, they'd not only not get paid, but they'd have to incur the cost of operating this extra section.

I can't speak for how ACJ gets paid by AC, but from my past life I know pretty well how it works for US carriers.

The reason they ran the flight 12+ hours late is because (in decreasing order of priority) A) They get paid for the segment. B) If they're a DOT reporting carrier, they can count a delay under 24hr as a completion. C) Unless they cancel a second flight, they still need to get this airplane/crew back to a hub or somewhere it can continue it's line of flight.

I'm not a fan of the 24hr completion rule, but that's the DOT rules. Personally, I think 12hr is a better metric.

Last edited by HDQDD; Sep 22, 2017 at 9:51 am
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
What?? As soon as there is a 1-minute delay on Delta, the Delta app gives you practically unlimited options to rebook yourself onto any other Delta itinerary that gets you to your destination city. Even if the delay has no significant impact on you, you can use this to your advantage to switch to a lie-flat itinerary or one that gets you more MQMs than you would have gotten originally.

So how exactly is that unethical??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.