Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyClub Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:03 am

There is always interpretation of the rules, standards, guidelines etc. Geneally speaking:
  1. Keep your voice down, you are in a confined space
  2. Keep your feet off the furniture, you are in a shared space
  3. Wash your hands, use utensils and limit the amount of exposure as you are again in a shared space with a lot of other people
  4. Be aware - examples include not using the seat next to you to set your bag on top of that when there are no other seats available in the space, don't leave your bags out in the walkway if at all possible, be quick in working your way through the food line as well as be quick in taking the time of the representatives who tend to be in limited supply
  5. Be mindful. Everyone in the room has been traveling or is getting ready to travel, so folks can be a bit less patient, a bit more sensitive, and perhaps a bit more uptight
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by Fraser
NC headphones do not cancel out speech, only noises of a constant frequency. Noise isolating headphones, of which Bose QCx are not, will cancel out everything.
Don't hear them with my in-ear QC20's but then again already have suffered permanent hearing loss and ringing in my ears while wearing camouflage green.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
People use phones in public places. Some cultures are a little more uptight about this -- it may not be considered acceptable to interrupt a dinner to take a call, for example -- but the OP needs to get over it.
Nonsense!

Post #16 says it all, and says it well!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is where there should be explicit signs and then simply enforce the quiet zone rules.

Instead, DL eliminates quiet zones (such as in the F/G lounge at MSP) or moves them to be smaller and less useful (in the old LAX T5 lounge) for no reason.
Quiet zones (like legitimate work cubicles, rather than long "reading over your shoulder" computer tables) are space-inefficient and conflict with DL's mass occupancy paradigm for the clubs.

If only a percentage of the occupants are willing to spring for the cash bar, there is a need to increase the number of occupants.

I just checked the DL website. They actually say this about the club "Think of it as a personal retreat — your home away from home." 30 years ago -- maybe it was.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Quiet zones (like legitimate work cubicles, rather than long "reading over your shoulder" computer tables) are space-inefficient and conflict with DL's mass occupancy paradigm for the clubs.

If only a percentage of the occupants are willing to spring for the cash bar, there is a need to increase the number of occupants.

I just checked the DL website. They actually say this about the club "Think of it as a personal retreat — your home away from home." 30 years ago -- maybe it was.
Eliminating the quiet zones doesn't necessarily create more seating space. In the case of the MSP F/G lounge, DL just removed the "quiet zone" sign and didn't even rearrange the existing furniture. My impression was that a higher than average fraction of the quiet zone seats were occupied compared to equivalent seats in the nonquiet zone in this lounge before the change.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
People use phones in public places. Some cultures are a little more uptight about this -- it may not be considered acceptable to interrupt a dinner to take a call, for example -- but the OP needs to get over it.
The absolute worst is the situation where you are standing in the TSA line at security, and the person immediately behind you is talking loudly into his or her cellphone. This drives me absolutely crazy, and because you are in line you can't get away from it. At least, in the SC, I can walk to the other end of the club and avoid it.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Eliminating the quiet zones doesn't necessarily create more seating space. In the case of the MSP F/G lounge, DL just removed the "quiet zone" sign and didn't even rearrange the existing furniture. My impression was that a higher than average fraction of the quiet zone seats were occupied compared to equivalent seats in the nonquiet zone in this lounge before the change.
I agree that eliminating a quiet zone does not create more seats.

But, contrary to your experience, I find that quiet zone seating seems to be underutilized compared to regular seating.

YMMV, and neither of us has hard data.

In either case, the clubs do not feel like my "home away from home."
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by FF524
There is always interpretation of the rules, standards, guidelines etc. Geneally speaking:
  1. Keep your voice down, you are in a confined space
  2. Keep your feet off the furniture, you are in a shared space
  3. Wash your hands, use utensils and limit the amount of exposure as you are again in a shared space with a lot of other people
  4. Be aware - examples include not using the seat next to you to set your bag on top of that when there are no other seats available in the space, don't leave your bags out in the walkway if at all possible, be quick in working your way through the food line as well as be quick in taking the time of the representatives who tend to be in limited supply
  5. Be mindful. Everyone in the room has been traveling or is getting ready to travel, so folks can be a bit less patient, a bit more sensitive, and perhaps a bit more uptight
Number 4 above is my pet peeve, even more so in a crowded gate area, when I see so many seats taken up by bags, with people having to stand. Why can't people put their bags in front of them? Why is it more important for their bag to take up a chair, rather than a person? Especially an elderly person?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
I am HYPER sensitive to this when I have to talk on the phone in a Skyclub or a public place. My voice tends to carry in normal situations, so I always use my ear buds and hold the mic as close to my mouth as possible to I can speak as quietly as possible. Again, loud speaking guy/gal in a public place wears me out. i NEVER want to be one of those.

My favorite: the cat in first class who talks right up until the FA shuts the door, talking so loudly that the person on the other end could hear him if they just stuck their head out of whatever window is near them. And the conversation is never complete without the deep, from the toes belly laugh that rattles the plane. I am over 1 million miles and I can honestly say that I have NEVER talked on a phone at ANY time while I am still on the airplane. Before shutting door, after landing, etc. I have yet to encounter the situation where it cant wait until Im off. Now, I will text and Email like a CRAZY person, but I wont talk. Wayyyyy toooooo close of quarters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.