Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Reason for delay: Captain misread schedule.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reason for delay: Captain misread schedule.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Reason for delay: Captain misread schedule. Huh?

Yes, you read that correctly. Sitting here at LGA SkyClub waiting for my early morning flight to Norfolk, and it kept getting delayed and delayed untill now it's a two hour and five minute delay. I tweeted Delta and was told the reason was " a scheduling conflict."

Not knowing what that meant, I checked at the desk. Agent checked and found out that the reason she's seeing for the delay is "Captain misread schedule." Now that's a new one. Never heard that before. It's an Endeavor flight and maybe that has something to do with it? The agent and I both got a laugh out of that as we both said we'd never heard of that before.

So now waiting for our plane to come in from Bangor with our Captain. And I'm sure by that time, thunderstorms will be covering the airport and we'll be delayed even further. I figure if I stay at the SkyClub long enough, I'll be here when they go from breakfasts to lunch.

Last edited by tonypct; Sep 6, 2017 at 7:56 am
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Well, I am surprised they admitted it.

But anybody who has never done anything that careless can raise their hand :-)
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:47 pm

Wow, knowing how embarrassed the captain must be having admitted that, that's an excuse that you can't even get mad at. Good thing you can laugh about it!
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Glad they admitted to it! It happens to the best of us, been there, done that!
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I was once certain that a 2PM class I was teaching was actually a 3PM class. I was shocked that there were still 40-50 students waiting for me on the first day after I realized my error and got to the lecture hall at around 2:40
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by acrophobia
I was once certain that a 2PM class I was teaching was actually a 3PM class. I was shocked that there were still 40-50 students waiting for me on the first day after I realized my error and got to the lecture hall at around 2:40
Better then misreading the exam schedule. Showed up at 930am all ready for last final exam at 10am. Was a bit confused that everyone was was already there and working on exam. Apparently misread the exam schedule. Class was a MWF class and I saw looked at the university exam schedule for MW only classes. Exam started at 9am.
SDQBound and ograff like this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:47 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I have a relative who shows up at the airport either the day before or after the flight has departed...Not sure which time zone he uses to calculate his departure time. The only time that he actually showed up on time at ATL, he had his passport expired and could not travel.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
top this!

I can top that. A few years ago, on a UA flight out of ORD, some of the flight crew misread their schedule and showed up over an hour late for an LAX flight. The reason I know? The gate agent announced it as the reason for the delay - and the captain apologized mid flight. I was stunned. But yes it does happen.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I have a relative who shows up at the airport either the day before or after the flight has departed...Not sure which time zone he uses to calculate his departure time. The only time that he actually showed up on time at ATL, he had his passport expired and could not travel.
Visiting Mother-in-law was taken to airport for TATL flight to be told that her ticket was for the day prior. We insist on documentation now.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I have a relative who shows up at the airport either the day before or after the flight has departed...Not sure which time zone he uses to calculate his departure time.
The overnight flight from LAS-MSP always had no-shows due to people not getting the date/time right. Made for an easy time to get back on the right side of the country to nonrev my way home.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Starblazer
The overnight flight from LAS-MSP always had no-shows due to people not getting the date/time right. Made for an easy time to get back on the right side of the country to nonrev my way home.
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
I don't know why people just be more truthful like this more often. I think all of us can relate. What I hate is some airline (even DL) blame everything on weather, even when it's sunny beach weather, to avoid compensation. In those cases, it's downright insult to tell customer.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:47 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by wlau
I don't know why people just be more truthful like this more often.
Like . . . . .

GA on the PA system at MSP . . . .

Good afternoon. Flight 1234 to San Francisco is going to be delayed today. The Captain found a crack in one of the engines, and they're trying to see if they can patch it up - - OR SOMETHING!!

Now THAT'S honesty!

Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by tonypct
I figure if I stay at the SkyClub long enough, I'll be here when they go from breakfasts to lunch.
If you made proper use of your SC time, you'd actually be going from "I know its a bit early to start drinking this" to "Sir, don't you think you've had enough?"
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
We've all been there before. Just this week I was booking tickets on an Air Canada flight for myself and two coworkers. We were deciding between a Monday night or Tuesday morning option and went with the latter so I was surprised when my phone buzzed with a calendar alert for the flight a full day early. Turned out I booked us on the wrong flight after having switched the dates back and forth a few times while booking. Without my phone buzzing I wouldn't have noticed until well after that initial flight took off without us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.