Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrade eligability on KL-marketed DL-flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 6:54 am
Used to be guidogh
Original Poster

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold

I have bought a ticket on DL-metal on KLM.com
Now DL says that I am not eligable for comlimentary upgrades to Eco+ and First because the ticket was not marketed by DL.
i am Platinum Medallion, and on the Delta site I dont see anything about thi in the upgrade-rules. Also my booking class qualifies.

Am I seeing it wrong, or is this delta representative i spoke to wrong?

***UPDATE*** DL called me and corrected, all is good now.. @MoDs, you can lock or delete this thread..

Last edited by Hollandair; Sep 3, 2017 at 8:30 am
Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You're eligible. However if i remember any codeshare coded flight won't upgrade in advance. It'll be DoD upgrades.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:19 am
Used to be guidogh
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You're eligible. However if i remember any codeshare coded flight won't upgrade in advance. It'll be DoD upgrades.
Are you refering to TATL or domestic?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:11 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Hollandair
Domestic. It's been always like that. If the flight is not marketed by DL, you can only be added to the upgrade list during check-in, when DL takes control of your ticket.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Domestic. As SDQ confirms, DL can't upgrade you prior to DoD when booked on a non-DL coded flight number. Till DoD all changes have to be made via the flight you're booked on. While in the end KL1234 maybe operated by DL5678 DoD, till DoD you're booked on KL1234 and DL has no control over an OAL flight.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:57 am
Used to be guidogh
Original Poster

Domestic. As SDQ confirms, DL can't upgrade you prior to DoD when booked on a non-DL coded flight number. Till DoD all changes have to be made via the flight you're booked on. While in the end KL1234 maybe operated by DL5678 DoD, till DoD you're booked on KL1234 and DL has no control over an OAL flight.
Which is according to the rules of delta unfair. IF you have the delta status, and the right booking class, it shouldnt make a difference if its marketed by KL, DL, or AF. Delta confirmed this to me, and made it all good now. My upgrade has been requested.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Which is according to the rules of delta unfair. IF you have the delta status, and the right booking class, it shouldnt make a difference if its marketed by KL, DL, or AF. Delta confirmed this to me, and made it all good now. My upgrade has been requested.
Technically you're not on a DL flight, but rather a KLM flight that happens to be operated by DL.

It may say requested, but being requested doesn't mean you're eligible for it before DoD. In fact it will screw up your reservation if it does. When you checkin, you'll checkin for the KLM flight number. It'll still have you in Y, even if DL system has upgraded you on DL flight number. This will cause the system to normally reseat you in Y since you won't have an upgraded reservation for your booked flight. You both lose the upgrade and get what's left in Y for a seat.

Agent may have been trying to be helpful, but in all likelihood has screwed up your reservation. They were correct though that you're eligible, just not till DoD.

There's a reason some of us won't book codeshared flights on DL metal.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Wouldn't call it unfair. KLM is basically a travelagency in this case and other airlines can/will not touch that ticket/'KL' flight until under airport control.
Buy the ticket directly from Delta.com, problem solved.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:09 am
Used to be guidogh
Original Poster

Technically you're not on a DL flight, but rather a KLM flight that happens to be operated by DL.

It may say requested, but being requested doesn't mean you're eligible for it before DoD. In fact it will screw up your reservation if it does. When you checkin, you'll checkin for the KLM flight number. It'll still have you in Y, even if DL system has upgraded you on DL flight number. This will cause the system to normally reseat you in Y since you won't have an upgraded reservation for your booked flight. You both lose the upgrade and get what's left in Y for a seat.

Agent may have been trying to be helpful, but in all likelihood has screwed up your reservation. They were correct though that you're eligible, just not till DoD.

There's a reason some of us won't book codeshared flights on DL metal.
Its interesting cause my ticketnumber in one booking changed from 074***(KL) to 057*** (AF) and in my other booking from 074*** to 006*** (DL)
what can i expect in this case? I already got seat assignments for Y+ with a W fare code on the domestic legs.

Oh and also in both bookings the KL numbers disappeared and are now DL flightnumbers.

Last edited by Hollandair; Sep 4, 2017 at 8:19 am
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Its interesting cause my ticketnumber in one booking changed from 074***(KL) to 057*** (AF) and in my other booking from 074*** to 006*** (DL)
what can i expect in this case? I already got seat assignments for Y+ with a W fare code on the domestic legs.

Oh and also in both bookings the KL numbers disappeared and are now DL flightnumbers.
Ok that's why it shows eligible now. The agent basically rebooked you. Apparently your fare allowed use of DL coded flight numbers. (Some KL do, some don't) They then simply waived change fee, and reissued the new booking/tickets.

Now with DL coded flights you can get advance window upgrades. This doesn't matter on ticket stock, this matters on it being booked as DL.

For future reference this worked -
1)because fare allowed use of DL coded flights
2)at time you called in, fare hadn't changed and
3)DL agent was friendly (as normal) rebooked you. Either waiving change fee or you were still within window for free changes/refund.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:05 pm
Used to be guidogh
Original Poster

Ok that's why it shows eligible now. The agent basically rebooked you. Apparently your fare allowed use of DL coded flight numbers. (Some KL do, some don't) They then simply waived change fee, and reissued the new booking/tickets.

Now with DL coded flights you can get advance window upgrades. This doesn't matter on ticket stock, this matters on it being booked as DL.

For future reference this worked -
1)because fare allowed use of DL coded flights
2)at time you called in, fare hadn't changed and
3)DL agent was friendly (as normal) rebooked you. Either waiving change fee or you were still within window for free changes/refund.
I Always thought it wouldnt matter.. As long as you book a codeshare flight within skyteam + eligable booking class + status with operating airline...
But I guess there are differences.. Shame you cant Always get the same fare.. Thanks for the lesson though :-)
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
I recently faced the same thing. Booked AMS-MSP-LAX DL operated KL marketed, ticketed by AF in France. I wasn't upgraded to C+ on MSP-LAX after booking. So I got in touch with DL via Twitter. I lucked out with some wonderful agent on the other end, who explained me:
- as long as it's KL flight number the flight cannot be upgraded in advance (as others pointed)
- normally it's not a problem and in such cases they reissue a ticket where convert KL flight number to DL flight number
- as I understood they can reissue 006 tickets of course, but 057 only those that were issued in North America, 074 I'm not sure (maybe all tickets, maybe those originally issued in North America)

I got back on the phone with AF. To my big surprise after getting approval from a supervisor's supervisor they reissued my 057 ticket at no charge with DL flight number instead of KL.

Now I'm wondering how I would get miles for this DL1332 MSP-LAX. I've got 057 ticket and accrual should be based on the fare class, but then again I had it as KL6XXX, and now pure DL. Let's see. Hopefully it won't be revenue based.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:26 pm

+ In such cases it's better to purchase tickets directly from DL, AF or KL. I'm not sure if they will be willing to reissue a ticket originally booked by an agent.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by urww
I recently faced the same thing. Booked AMS-MSP-LAX DL operated KL marketed, ticketed by AF in France. I wasn't upgraded to C+ on MSP-LAX after booking. So I got in touch with DL via Twitter. I lucked out with some wonderful agent on the other end, who explained me:
- as long as it's KL flight number the flight cannot be upgraded in advance (as others pointed)
- normally it's not a problem and in such cases they reissue a ticket where convert KL flight number to DL flight number
- as I understood they can reissue 006 tickets of course, but 057 only those that were issued in North America, 074 I'm not sure (maybe all tickets, maybe those originally issued in North America)

I got back on the phone with AF. To my big surprise after getting approval from a supervisor's supervisor they reissued my 057 ticket at no charge with DL flight number instead of KL.

Now I'm wondering how I would get miles for this DL1332 MSP-LAX. I've got 057 ticket and accrual should be based on the fare class, but then again I had it as KL6XXX, and now pure DL. Let's see. Hopefully it won't be revenue based.
If its now DL coded, then it should earn per $ for RDM. Also even if issued on 074 (KL) stock, KL coded DL or KL operated flights part of a TATL will earn per $.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:16 pm

Also even if issued on 074 (KL) stock, KL coded DL or KL operated flights part of a TATL will earn per $.
That's why I'm making sure my tickets on KLM are issued by Air France . So I've got 057 ticket, which includes:
KL/KL ARN-AMS
KL/DL AMS-MSP
DL/DL MSP-LAX

If DL1332 MSP-LAX is supposed to earn miles based on $, how would they determine the part of fare+YQ associated with just this segment. Then they supposedly don't even see the fare on 057 ticket issued outside North America.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.