Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby List Names Got Delta One Seats

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
As an airline pilot myself (former delta connection), the non-rev benefit is something that is great when it works, but an absolute nightmare when it doesn't. Over the last few years I've non-revved domestically and internationally. Domestically 80% of the time I was in Y, 15% in C+, and 5% F. There were however countless times I'd come nowhere close to clearing the standby list. As a DL connection pilot we were below DL mainline employee (both active and retired) so it could be very tricky. Internationally I always cleared to C+, but never made the cut to D1.

I'm still a pilot, but for a non DL affiliated carrier. So my priority is even lower than a DL buddy pass. I don't even attempt it anymore. Too much hassle. I'm back to buying confirmed tickets (Y and the occasional F) to gain status, miles, and overall avoid the headache.

I believe it is correct airline employees should receive these benefits, but I also believe they should drastically limit the benefit to a certain number of segments per year. It's to the point that many airline employees (myself included) can't enjoy this perk of the job because of the dozens and dozens of non revs that list for each flight.
No kidding. I still remember the time I had to do this to get home from MCO...

MCO (no chance of getting on the nonstops) -> ATL -> LAX (got bumped of course and had to sleep on the then cold freezing floors of T5 for the next few hours) -> MSP

or perhaps more fun..

MSP -> IND -> CLH -> ATL -> DAB

Yes, I've legit done four and five stops for what often can be often a nonstop (its also why segment limits aren't likely the best idea unless we can add flights to a given PNR and limit the benefit that way).

It's.. Been something. Thats for sure.

So those few times we get D1... Yeah, you have no idea how much we appreciate it. They're very much few and far between.

Last edited by TheLifeOfA_NKCM; Aug 30, 2017 at 8:07 pm
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
8 is actually pretty low. I've been on lists of 60+ on multiple occasions. International flights I'd say the average is about 15. I was recently on the 747 DTW-AMS with about 25 open in J and roughly 40 people on the list.
Originally Posted by minnyfly
An average of 15 means a half-empty or near half-empty D1 cabin on all planes except the 747. That's definitely not a systemwide average of empty seats on D1 routes. I wish it was for non-rev purposes, but it's not.
He's saying an average of 15 listed for int'l flights, not 15 open J for int'l flights. Which is generally a decent enough rule of thumb. Some routes have tons of NRs pretty regularly, some have almost none commonly; most are in between.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Corganbr
How can you tell they are non-revs by looking at the standby list?
All their boarding passes said NRSB. They also would not stop talking since they all knew each other.
Crew bag tags also don't really help either.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by sky303
He's saying an average of 15 listed for int'l flights, not 15 open J for int'l flights. Which is generally a decent enough rule of thumb. Some routes have tons of NRs pretty regularly, some have almost none commonly; most are in between.
The impression I got from the OP's question is asking if 8 non-revs getting D1 on that route is normal. And I've stuck with that interpretation. I was never talking about lists. But the way the OP's question was worded makes it somewhat ambiguous.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by minnyfly
The impression I got from the OP's question is asking if 8 non-revs getting D1 on that route is normal. And I've stuck with that interpretation. I was never talking about lists. But the way the OP's question was worded makes it somewhat ambiguous.
Just figured I'd clarify since I know and talk to chiefnwa on a regular basis.

I agree the OP's wording is vague enough to interpret it either way.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by langbr01
The FO must be doing pretty well considering median salary of a Delta pilot is $246K.
or doesn't have to be doing well at all if compared to a job the FO would actually likely get. Also that's the median for Capitan on international widebodies. Most pilots make no where near that.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
or doesn't have to be doing well at all if compared to a job the FO would actually likely get. Also that's the median for Capitan on international widebodies. Most pilots make no where near that.
False. It's the median salary of all captains including both domestic and international.

Bloomberg also just published an article on Delta. $180K is typical annual pay for a first year captain after they've completed training.

Last edited by langbr01; Aug 31, 2017 at 4:56 pm
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
False. It's the median salary of all captains including both domestic and international.

Bloomberg also just published an article on Delta. $180K is typical annual pay for a first year captain after they've completed training.
Not according to the search i did. The captians for longhaul were specifically listed separate. Pilots/copilot was used for as the term for most pilot positions with "Captain" reserved for senior/longhaul left seaters. Also knowing multiple first year/second year FO (mainly MD88/90) they make no where close to $180k. It maybe an average across all first officers, but i know zero brand new hire pilots making $180k.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Here is the link to that Bloomberg article which does state what you claim.

The post claiming this isn't true cites nothing, claims to have done a search but does not mention any sites or provide any links and changes the word "captain" to "pilot" which is an entirely different thing. Why people post what they don't know or cannot verify is beyond me, but thankfully there are very few people that do this: perhaps only one.

Hmm, which do we believe, the verifiable information or the just-believe-me information? You would think if someone really just did a search it would be a no-brainer to include the link.
langbr01 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
Not according to the search i did. The captians for longhaul were specifically listed separate. Pilots/copilot was used for as the term for most pilot positions with "Captain" reserved for senior/longhaul left seaters. Also knowing multiple first year/second year FO (mainly MD88/90) they make no where close to $180k. It maybe an average across all first officers, but i know zero brand new hire pilots making $180k.
I'd be interested to see the source.

Bloomberg, August 30, 2017

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...this-old-plane

"Pilots say about $180,000 is typical annual pay for first-year captains after they’ve completed training."

PayScale.com

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...nes_Inc/Salary

Keep in mind Delta pilots often receive profit sharing in addition to salary. On pure salary basis are paid less than a number of other carriers.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
article is inaccurate. First year captain pay on the 88/90 for those guys that chose to bid it is $222/hr. Let's say a guarantee of 75 hours a month which is extremely on the conservative end. That is $17,025 a month, not including per diem. So in base pay alone, $204,300. Oh and there is 16% 401k contributions, there's another $32,688. And if you count profit sharing (which should be counted as a bonus and not part of salary) but for this example let's do. Conservatively thats 15% so thats $30,645. So including that, the LOWEST paid captain is taking home at a minimum $267,633 + per diem. Many senior first officers make more than that. So I'd say the median is on the low end. Even counting zero profit sharing, $236,988.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by apolloms
article is inaccurate.
Your assuming there is an article. There isn't. Nor are there expert friends. Nor will the claim that the poster was talking about pilots when the word "Captain" was specifically used make any sense.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
article is inaccurate. First year captain pay on the 88/90 for those guys that chose to bid it is $222/hr. Let's say a guarantee of 75 hours a month which is extremely on the conservative end. That is $17,025 a month, not including per diem. So in base pay alone, $204,300. Oh and there is 16% 401k contributions, there's another $32,688. And if you count profit sharing (which should be counted as a bonus and not part of salary) but for this example let's do. Conservatively thats 15% so thats $30,645. So including that, the LOWEST paid captain is taking home at a minimum $267,633 + per diem. Many senior first officers make more than that. So I'd say the median is on the low end. Even counting zero profit sharing, $236,988.
I just mentioned these numbers to my friend, who is a senior 717 pilot for delta. The laughter lasted about 3 minutes, followed by an "I wish".
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
...the LOWEST paid captain is taking home at a minimum $267,633 + per diem.
I have a little second-hand personal insight into DL pilot pay scales, and this estimate is completely insane.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
I have a little second-hand personal insight into DL pilot pay scales, and this estimate is completely insane.
The hourly rate is correct. The assumptions are not correct. Things to consider are a new hire pilot at Delta is not a new pilot. The average new hire age is over 36. A new hire will spend 4 months in training getting paid about 4750 a month. There was one brief period where a couple of pilots were awarded Captain in NYC while still in their first year. One pilot had 4 months with the company. By the time that pilot completed training and began flying as a Captain they had 9 months with the company so only received 3 months pay at CA rates. The lifestyle of a reserve CA in NYC is almost intolerable and expenses very high. In the past upgrades to CA ran 12 to 18 years. It's dropping but the average time at Delta to upgrade is probably 10 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.