Standby List Names Got Delta One Seats

Old Aug 30, 17, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Standby List Names Got Delta One Seats

This week I was on GRU-JFK and the flight looked full. There were several names in the standby list and as a Platinum medallion I had hopes for a OP-UP. I was surprised and angry when I saw many last minute people settling in Delta One. Then I checked the app and 8 people from standby got Delta One seats even though the status said "main cabin".

Does anyone know what happened? I want to write a complaint letter to DL but thought I should check here before I do.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:11 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Plat Premier
If the standbys were non-revs, then they would get the Delta One seats if available.
BearX220, SDQBound and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer View Post
If the standbys were non-revs, then they would get the Delta One seats if available.
Any idea if 8 non-revs is a common occurrence in that route? So non-revs have higher priority over Platinum Medallions?
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Corganbr View Post
Any idea if 8 non-revs is a common occurrence in that route?
No idea.

So non-revs have higher priority over Platinum Medallions?
Yup. Diamonds, too. The only way op-ups happen is if there are more paying coach passengers than there are coach seats.
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:18 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat., SPG Plat., IHG Spire Elite/Royal Ambassador
Any idea if 8 non-revs is a common occurrence in that route? So non-revs have higher priority over Platinum Medallions?
Unfortunately YES! They even have priority over Diamond Medallions! They have always had priority and probably always will!
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:19 am

Dupe.

Non-revs are entitled to upgrades to DeltaOne, medallion upgrades to that cabin are not a stated benefit. Getting such an upgrade, if it happens, is a nice gift but don't expect it. I've seen 8-10 non-revs get DeltaOne seats on multiple flights. They get priority on international flights for open D1 seating, whereas medallions do on domestic flights. Note that using a Global Upgrade puts you above non-revs.
BearX220 likes this.

Programs: Delta, United, AA, Jet Blue .... Whichever is Cheapest
Want D1? Quit current job, get new one with Delta.

Happens frequently. An FO next to me on a flight from GIG was incensed when several folks in middle seats around him were moved up to Business. He calmed down after I told him he would have to take a 50% cut in pay for the same privilege.
kthomas likes this.
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:22 am

Location: Pretty much this, rinse repeat, rinse again?: Bloomington, MN (MSP) -> Port Orange, FL (DAB)
Programs: DL NRSA, HHonors Silver (Soon to be gold), Hotels.com Silver, National EC Exec, GE (FINALLY), CLEAR
Yep.

Medallion upgrades are only in effect on int'l for C+. So, there tends to be a fair share of open seats for us to get into.

As loganflyer mentioned, the op-up likely could only be possible if both W&Y were oversold.
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:23 am

Location: Pretty much this, rinse repeat, rinse again?: Bloomington, MN (MSP) -> Port Orange, FL (DAB)
Programs: DL NRSA, HHonors Silver (Soon to be gold), Hotels.com Silver, National EC Exec, GE (FINALLY), CLEAR
Originally Posted by RRDD View Post
Want D1? Quit current job, get new one with Delta.
Sounds fair to me.

Old Aug 30, 17, 11:26 am
TTT

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Does anyone know what happened? I want to write a complaint letter to DL but thought I should check here before I do.
As has been stated, they were non-revs.

Medallions don't have an upgrade benefit on D1 routes so nothing for you to complain about.
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:38 am

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2MM; Kettle everywhere else
15 non-revs were on my transcon SFO-JFK last week.
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:53 am

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Had 12 non-revs when I went from SEA-HKG. They basically took the whole D1 cabin.
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 2MM Diamante & NW Million Air - UA AA WN & Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I flew PIT/CDG in late June (D1 award ticket). My FA friend who went with me as a non-rev was on the stand-by list (as #1 ), and eventually got the UG and sat next to me.

I, too, was surprised that, that's how non-revs appear on the stand-by list for everyone to see!
Old Aug 30, 17, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This week I was on GRU-JFK and the flight looked full. There were several names in the standby list and as a Platinum medallion I had hopes for a OP-UP. I was surprised and angry when I saw many last minute people settling in Delta One. Then I checked the app and 8 people from standby got Delta One seats even though the status said "main cabin".

I just saw this on my international flight. No one was on the upgrade waitlist for D1, which would mean that all GUC requests had already cleared. There was a long "upgrade" wait list for C+, but it was full.

Maybe a dozen folks were listed as standby. They all cleared the standby list as "main cabin" although all but two of them were assigned D1 seats. I would assume either that the two (same last names and listed consecutively)hadn't wanted to pay the fees associated with D1 nonrev seating for their category (maybe the ZED or whatever that's based on a percentage of the fare for your cabin) or weren't eligible to ride nonrev in D1, perhaps because it was a parent traveling with a small child.

Still, I did notice the "main cabin" designation with D1 seat assignments and wonder now based on the OP here whether this is some new policy at DL to make it less obvious how many empty seats there were in D1 or how many nonrevs were in D1 on the flight. I did a double take because I've never seen the standby list look like this although I have seen similar numbers of nonrevs get into D1 seats.

ADDED: in contrast to what davetravels saw, my international flights in June and July had a few nonrevs in D1, but the app did not indicate that they were seated in the main cabin....and today the nonrevs in D1 did not get main cabin service either.

BTW, with my flight being so empty, I was surprised that more nonrevs didn't flock to it. I had expected the number of nonrevs on the standby list to at least equal the number of available D1 seats.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: