Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I thought YBYL was dead?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Unless there's some pressing reason for me to board early, I don't board if I'm waitlisted for an upgrade. I simply don't trust the answers GAs give about whether FC has boarded full or not and whether they will upgrade someone who has already boarded. To me, it's just not worth the risk, especially when GAs have an incentive to follow YBYL if the upgraded seats would otherwise go to nonrevs.
Apart from that... why would anyone want to spend any more time in an economy seat than they absolutely have to? Absolutely needing to secure an overhead bin is the only thing that will force me to board early when flying in coach. Absent that, I want them to shove me on the plane and slam the door shut behind me.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect that some people just want to be sure that others see them boarding with the elites.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Ybyl < wfbf

Edit: Weird that it keeps lowercasing my text...
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect that some people just want to be sure that others see them boarding with the elites.
Or want OH space.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Or want OH space.
I was responding to a post discussing people who don't need bin space nevertheless trying to board as early as possible.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Anecdotally, on Sunday I saw a GA do an onboard upgrade DCA-MSP. It stuck out to me at the time because it had been so long since I'd witnessed one happen.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by 13thandseven
Anecdotally, on Sunday I saw a GA do an onboard upgrade DCA-MSP. It stuck out to me at the time because it had been so long since I'd witnessed one happen.
I've been personally upgraded onboard 3 times in last 4 months. I am glad they're doing this more but still... why is it so hard to figure this out before?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by pvn
Maybe you guys should try asking a less ambiguous question. :P
I usually go with "has first boarded full, or only checked in full?" Lets them know that I know the difference, and sometimes they also need a second to contemplate the difference themselves.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
Lucky recipient of a battleground upgrade today LAX-MSP...out of a window seat no less. Definitely gives you that DYKWIA swagger when the entire row has to get up so you can move on up 😏😉
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
DL1487 SEA-LAX this morning: 3 of 15 or so for 4 seats; at T-60 went up to the podium and told the GA that I'd prefer one of the two window seats if at all possible, and she said "I'll see what we can do"

boarding started approx T-35; at T-20, just as the second GA called for Zone 1 to board, the GIDS updated to show me in 4A ... at about T-5 she came on board, showed me my original BP for 10A, asked if that was me, and headed to the back after I said "yes" ... I don't recall if the guy who came forward and put a bag in the overhead a couple minutes later took one of the other vacant seats, but I'm just as happy I didn't roll the dice
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
I was the beneficiary of YBYL last night. Flying DTW-LGA and I waited until toward the end of Zone 3 boarding as I was waiting to see if the flight was oversold (GA said maybe but not likely). Anyway I was #4 for 0 at boarding. No UG's processed. Just I was gathering my stuff to board I refreshed the app and suddenly 2D popped up. And yes the Upgrade was processed in the system. I fee bad for #1 on the list but oh well..
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On my LAX-DTW red-eye flight last Friday, I was number 1 on the list with zero seats available. Checked with the GA before boarding if she would come pull me up if there were any no-shows. She said yes, no problem. Just before door close, she came aboard and called me up as there was 1 no-show.
woodford02A likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Worldtraveler727
Apparently YBYL is still the name of the game in LAX.

Boarded DL101 today to ATL. No announcements were made in the gate house and I boarded number 2 on the first class upgrade list. I kept an eye on the list just in case somebody no-showed. Sure enough, the 2 names below me got upgraded into 5A and 5D. Went out to talk to the gate agent who made it seem like my fault that I boarded the plane when called. He claims he made an announcement, but had that happened, I wouldn't have boarded.

I've had agents come down with battlefield upgrades all the time and thought it was the new Delta policy to clear the upgrade list in order based on what I read here.. What's up with this dude?
It's always been Delta's policy to come on the plane and bring you up to FC if a seat becomes available after you have boarded in coach, regardless of what some have said. I've been upgraded several times this way, including at LAX, over the past several years. However, this does not preclude the possibility of a lazy GA not bothering to do so.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:59 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by LBJ
On my LAX-DTW red-eye flight last Friday, I was number 1 on the list with zero seats available. Checked with the GA before boarding if she would come pull me up if there were any no-shows. She said yes, no problem. Just before door close, she came aboard and called me up as there was 1 no-show.
I'm not sure we're allowed to post GOOD stories here!

Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
It's always been Delta's policy to come on the plane and bring you up to FC if a seat becomes available after you have boarded in coach, regardless of what some have said. I've been upgraded several times this way, including at LAX, over the past several years. However, this does not preclude the possibility of a lazy GA not bothering to do so.
It has been up to and still is the GA. If this wasn't the case then DL wouldn't have needed to publish a change to instruct agents to go onboard and upgrade.

Going on board to upgrade a passenger was mainly (and still mainly) is done by PMNW GA. PMDL GA usually followed YBYL.

Sadly the new policy still doesnt kill YBYL. It only tells GA they should go onboard and upgrade if workload permits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.