Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crazy DL Prices ATL to CUN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Simply O/D pricing. Just bought JFK-MEX-CUN RT in J with JFK/MEX on 787 both ways. Total RT $700 bought 4 days prior. Different markets, different prices.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by hi55us
Agreed on the high airfare, beyond me what's driving it.
"Mr. Price, I'd like you to me Mr. Demand."
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: Several dozen
Maybe the fares are so high because of the high cost of insuring the safety of the crew and the plane? See the August 22 State Department Mexico Travel Warning:

"...Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum): U.S. citizens should be aware that according to Government of Mexico statistics, the state of Quintana Roo experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured or killed, have occurred...."

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...l-warning.html

Originally Posted by dmac7273
Hey FTers,

I don't really need anything in this thread; I just want to vent. Every year my family takes a "Fam Jam" vacation to Cancun. We always travel in fall time because it's hurricane season and this is the best time to get the best deals.

In years past, we've always flown Delta for $250-$350 round trip. This year, however, all days are $650 RT minimum. You know what else is $650 round trip? ATL-DEL? No joke, check Google Flights.

To me, Delta's pricing has shot up crazy since they signed the JV with Aeromexico and killed the competition. From ATL, only Southwest has only one stop flight from ATL to CUN every day. Just one flight. Everything else is DL.

It pisses me off to no end that I can fly to Delhi for the same price I can fly to Cancun. I know if I buy this ticket, I'm getting shafted, but I have little choice.

/angry

-dmac
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Go on a diet and pack light and you can take Spirit for $286RT.
Book it at the airport and save $18.99 per direction, upgrade to a Big Front Seat and Spirit Airlines won't be *that* bad.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:42 am

Flights to Cancun are always insane no matter where you're flying from. MCO-CUN is usually bottoms out at $300, anything under that is a real deal.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: Delta PM
Kind of like flights ATL-MBJ. I don't mean to derail but same thing, absolultely insane pricing, esp if you want to be on one of the earlier flights to MBJ and on the 4pm departing MBJ. INSANE PRICING!!!!! Coach is more than 1st class on these flights.... I've been doing the trip for 5 or 6 years now and I think they are totally dynamic pricing me because they know which flights I want. Fortunately I got lucky this year since there is a now a PWM-JFK flight, so I am doing PWM-JFK-MBJ and return for like 375pp or something wonderful. Also used GUC's and open space was avail so we locked in 1st class as well. But yes. total ridiculousness to these leisure destinations.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:13 am

You're really that upset about having to pay $650 to fly from ATL to CUN? I usually pay more than that to fly BOS-ACK on CApe Air on a 9 seater plane. or from DCA to ACK on JetBlue it usually is no cheaper than $500 but normally north of $700 too. #nosympathy .

Originally Posted by dmac7273
Hey FTers,

I don't really need anything in this thread; I just want to vent. Every year my family takes a "Fam Jam" vacation to Cancun. We always travel in fall time because it's hurricane season and this is the best time to get the best deals.

In years past, we've always flown Delta for $250-$350 round trip. This year, however, all days are $650 RT minimum. You know what else is $650 round trip? ATL-DEL? No joke, check Google Flights.

To me, Delta's pricing has shot up crazy since they signed the JV with Aeromexico and killed the competition. From ATL, only Southwest has only one stop flight from ATL to CUN every day. Just one flight. Everything else is DL.

It pisses me off to no end that I can fly to Delhi for the same price I can fly to Cancun. I know if I buy this ticket, I'm getting shafted, but I have little choice.

/angry

-dmac
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by RRDD
"Mr. Price, I'd like you to me Mr. Demand."
The hell you say!!!!! There is actually something like economics driving pricing? It's not just Delta being mean to the OP?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
The hell you say!!!!! There is actually something like economics driving pricing? It's not just Delta being mean to the OP?
Pretty sure it's just Delta being mean to me.

While I'm sure there are some supply and demand factors in play here, my main point is that I feel that Delta is using it's position as the "largest cross boarder airline between the US and Mexico" to artificially inflate prices.

You can't honestly tell me that since I paid $325 for this flight last year that demand has literally doubled hence the new $650 price tag - especially with all the bad press Mexico has been getting lately between tainted alcohol and cartels etc.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
How about AUA? Its low season there also. Or GCM?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
How about AUA? Its low season there also. Or GCM?
Those do come it a bit cheaper, $550-$600 for comparable dates. Will take a look at them!
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:59 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Someone has to pay for the wall.

DCFinanceinFlight likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Good thing about AUA is it further south than most hurricane paths too.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: Nada!
Check different days of the week. I've seen more reasonable prices when you change up the days of the week you fly on.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sr_tipitinas
Check different days of the week. I've seen more reasonable prices when you change up the days of the week you fly on.
Happy you mention that - this is another reason why I think prices are higher than simple supply and demand, because no matter what day is picked, or length of trip, the minimum price is $650! Attached screenshot of a 5 week view.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.