Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Planning in case of missed connection

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Planning in case of missed connection

I'm flying YYZ-DTW-ALB for a wedding in a couple of weeks, with an 80 minute layover in DTW. When looking at the on time performance of YYZ-DTW it seems that it's been late 12 of the last 15 flights, with 6 of those being late enough for me to miss my connection. I can't find any information on DTW-ALB (#1863 if any of you know anything) so maybe it's always late and this won't be an issue at all

DTW-ALB is the last flight of the day so I'm trying to plan for what to do if I miss the connection. Since it's such a small plane, what are they chances of them holding it for me? Alternatively, there's a flight out the next morning that will get me there on time without missing anything. I'm planning on buying a refundable ticket for this flight and cancelling it if my original flight is not delayed, or if I do miss it and I happen to be rebooked onto my preferred flight anyway. But that brings me to another question. Will Delta rebook me onto a flight that I already have a ticket for? Or would the system show that I'm already booked on it and put me on a different flight, thus I'd be screwing myself out of getting rebooked onto my preferred flight?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, do not make "impossible" ticket arrangements. They are expressly prohibited and DL will cancel one or both tickets with or without notice. DL -- along with most carriers -- views this as ticketing fraud and spends a lot on software to catch it.

If you misconnect, you will be booked on the next available flight. In this case, the next day. Given that it's a 9-hour drive, you might consider renting a car and driving.

It is possible, but unlikely that DL will hold your flight. If there are people standing by for it, there is no reason to hold as they will be given your seat at or about T-15.

Given that there is a high incidence of delay, I would book the earlier YYZ-DTW. There are nonstops for that route on DL, UA, AA, and WS.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Given that there is a high incidence of delay, I would book the earlier YYZ-DTW. There are nonstops for that route on DL, UA, AA, and WS.
Not exactly. UA codeshares on nonstop AC flights. AA has no nonstops on this route.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:51 am
Original Poster

First, do not make "impossible" ticket arrangements. They are expressly prohibited and DL will cancel one or both tickets with or without notice. DL -- along with most carriers -- views this as ticketing fraud and spends a lot on software to catch it.
Last I checked an 80 minute layover is totally legal? Has this changed?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:52 am

I'd take the earlier YYZ/DTW flight if possible, otherwise look to see if there are any flights after your original DTW/ALB flight into BDL or SWF They are ~80 miles from ALB and may have a later connection that someone can either pick you up or get a rental car from
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by lifeinspace
It is. OP is nervous about the YYZ/DTW being delayed. Not a bad plan to have contingencies ahead of time
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kop84
I'd take the earlier YYZ/DTW flight if possible, otherwise look to see if there are any flights after your original DTW/ALB flight into BDL or SWF They are ~80 miles from ALB and may have a later connection that someone can either pick you up or get a rental car from
SYR could also work. The last time I looked, DL had some very early and very late flights there.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
SYR could also work. The last time I looked, DL had some very early and very late flights there.
I looked into this and also BDL and SWF. Unfortunately my final destination is Saratoga Springs (I'm getting picked up at Albany) and these are all too far

I think buying the spare ticket is my best bet so I'm mostly worried that having a ticket for the backup DTW-ALB flight will prevent Delta from rebooking me onto that flight during their usual missed connection rebooking.

Unfortunately I am unable to leave YYZ on an earlier flight, or I would absolutely do that.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
..... I'm trying to plan for what to do.....
Why not leave a day earlier than you planned?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That wasn't the issue.

The issue is your refundable ticket.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RRDD
Why not leave a day earlier than you planned?
If OP cannot take an earlier flight, perhaps he/she cannot travel a day earlier either.

My impression is that DL isn't (yet) real draconian about searching for duplicate bookings and cancelling them but YMMV. The OP seems to prefer paying for the separate ticket over missing the late connection and not being able to be rebooked by DL onto the first flight the next morning.

If the next morning flight is acceptable, OP could call DL and explain about the concern about the first flight being late and causing a missed connection and ask to have the original ticket rebooked with the DTW overnight, so that the late evening segment is rebooked to the first one the next morning. This would be easier to get with elite status or a schedule change, but most DL agents tend to be reasonable and allowed to use some discretion (often with supervisor approval).
bgriff likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What is your point?

OP is talking about purchasing a second ticket and cancelling that if he makes the original flight. That is almost certainly an "impossible" booking in that he can't fly both tickets and DL's software will catch it and cancel one or both tickets. DL may or may not notify OP in advance and OP could be left with nothing or only an extraordinarily expensive combination of tickets.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The OP should be able to drive YYZ-ALB in six hours, probably faster than one can drive to YYZ, clear for a transborder flight, fly,connect, fly, and rent a car at ALB.
NoTravelIsFree likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
What is your point?

OP is talking about purchasing a second ticket and cancelling that if he makes the original flight. That is almost certainly an "impossible" booking in that he can't fly both tickets and DL's software will catch it and cancel one or both tickets. DL may or may not notify OP in advance and OP could be left with nothing or only an extraordinarily expensive combination of tickets.
Based on the fact that the second ticket is the day after the first ticket, and a previous poster said it's possible to drive, I am not certain that it's actually impossible to fly both... without knowing the flight times, you're just speculating that it's impossible.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
ultra-safe

To be ultra-safe, why not book the backup flight on AC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.