Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What keeps you on Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Delta doesn't:

-consistent service by ground staff
-beat up asian passengers
-removes passengers because of poor planning on their part for the transfer of their aircrews
-is generally reliable and good in problem solving delays/cancellations
-reliable international flights
-decent flight attendents who don't have the arrogance of other airliners
-Elite status is recognized ("Welcome back Mr.Bingham)

To know me is to fly with me. I run my card prompts the desk staff to greet me.

Link:

Last edited by wolf72; Aug 18, 2017 at 9:58 pm
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
As many folks have said, it is the customer service. I live in a small city (SYR) and while Delta is the dominant carrier, I could choose AA or UA to get where I need to go. The customer service is good across the board, but the ground staff here know to handle customer service. From Elite to casual flier I see them doing well.

Also, I get consistent service across the system for the most part. That is important to me. While the devaluations are crap, the grass doesn't get greener in other programs.f

Though I will say that I envy Star Alliance partners as it would give me more options for my international travel, I couldn't return to the lack of service UA offers.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:37 pm

I am based in SEA, so I mostly fly DL or AS. I fly DL for shorter flights (BOI, GEG, BZN, etc) as I can't stand flying on Q400s and then whichever is cheaper for longer flights (usually AS).

SEA is more elite heavy with AS, so I get upgraded pretty frequently as a DL GM (as long as I am not going to a hub).

Most of my flights are short and expensive as they are always last minute, so I am one of the few people that benefits from DL's mileage earning system. I typically earn 2-3x more DL miles than I would have with AS. AS miles are better, obviously, but not that much better in my opinion.

The prices between AS and DL last minute are almost always identical, like within $.10.

That being said, if AS rolls out more RJs to the cities I fly to, I will probably switch to only flying them.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by USITTExec
I live in a small city (SYR) and while Delta is the dominant carrier
AA has the largest market share in SYR.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by zn426
TPA is Delta captive. There's Southwest too, and UA and AA have presences there, but I fly international twice a year, so I might as well make my life a bit more comfortable.
(I'll exclude Southwest from the following, since you need to fly international)

TPA is most definitely not Delta captive. AA and DL carry nearly equivalent numbers of passengers at TPA, with AA actually (very) slightly ahead.

For calendar year 2016, passengers carried were:
American: 3,363,549
Delta: 3,308,491

Source: http://www.tampaairport.com/sites/de...6ROLLING12.pdf
(note that they break down passenger counts by airside. I added Delta's numbers for both E and F to get the above count).

You will notice that the AA numbers were much lower in 2015, presumably because US numbers hadn't merged in yet so it only reflect pmAA numbers. Prior to the AA/US merger, I'm sure Delta was far ahead of both AA and US at TPA, but not anymore. AA and AL are neck and neck now. (I'd personally probably still be a DL flier if I was in TPA for the various other reasons stated in this thread though)
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
1. Hub captive (DTW), though I suppose I could switch to American or United and fly through Chicago. However, I dread Chicago. I actually thought about Air Canada because I could do a one-stop in Toronto to just about anywhere, but Air Canada's non-international business-class product isn't any better than Delta.

2. I'm too invested with Delta, going back to my first flight on Northwest in 2000.

I almost switched to American, but then American after its merger with US Airways made changes to its frequent flyer/status program that no longer made it an appealing alternative.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by RealHJ
SkyTeam.

It's as simple as that. ST has an extensive network and generally a quality product.
This is one of my big issues. Delta just doesn't treat its Sky Team partners fairly. There are so many options I'd like to fly, but I basically never get the chance because unless I take the time to piece out a trip on ITA Matrix, the chances are Delta won't put me on its Czech, Saudi or Garuda Indonesia. Also, I don't like that I can't redeem miles for international first-class on Sky Team partners like Air France and Garuda Indonesia.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
This is one of my big issues. Delta just doesn't treat its Sky Team partners fairly. There are so many options I'd like to fly, but I basically never get the chance because unless I take the time to piece out a trip on ITA Matrix, the chances are Delta won't put me on its Czech, Saudi or Garuda Indonesia. Also, I don't like that I can't redeem miles for international first-class on Sky Team partners like Air France and Garuda Indonesia.
Yeah OP is wrong here. ST is the worst of the three, and DL makes it impossible to use much of the time. Traveling outside of a JV? Good luck getting DL to issue a ticket. Buying one directly? Prepare to get fleeced on mileage earnings.

It's absurd that a JV has supposedly been signed, but KE is still group 4.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
So my more insightful answer
  • Hub captive, although that only goes so far - I started flying Delta while living in a WN city
  • their customer service has been better than what I've experienced with AA or WN. I have heard the horror stories about UA and I'm happy enough with DL that I don't care to verify them for myself
  • IRROPS: I went three years flying DL out of Florida before I ever experienced the dreaded ATL summer storms that halt all traffic. Even when I got stuck in AUS recently with a broken plane I still made my destination fairly on time
  • I take the wifi in flights for granted now, I saw a friend at the airport recently and when he complained about his WN plane not having wifi I had to think about that for a minute. It seemed like a problem from a different era
  • Woodford Reserve
  • Did I mention customer service? I can point to three or four people just in one day a few weeks ago who went above and beyond when they didn't have to. I have to be careful of how many times I email Delta to point out an employee who just went above and beyond - mostly it has to do with either jumping into action to fix a problem or being so attentive and courteous, not to me necessarily, to make my traveling day more pleasant. That is the dofference
silverthief2 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: Waffle House DM
Early onset Alzheimer's
Dalo likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WWads
In reality, DL isn't UA or AA. That's about it really.
This. ^

I was flying American until they merged with Useless Air which prompted the move to Delta. I will still fly American for certain routes (unlike United which I avoid like the plague)
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Miesque
This. ^

I was flying American until they merged with Useless Air which prompted the move to Delta. I will still fly American for certain routes (unlike United which I avoid like the plague)
I avoid United at all times. Have had enough of their rubbish.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I've come to see United as a mediocre airline with a still good award program. I wouldn't buy a cash ticket with them, but it's so easy to earn miles in the program. They've improved saver inventory out of or into Podunk Field compared to 18-24 months back, and there are times when it does make sense for my household to just do a saver ticket plus $80 close-in booking fee to help with far away elderly parents concerns.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
It's been years, but think I originally decided to throw in with Delta simply because of how convenient it was to fly out of the Marine Air Terminal at LGA for trips to Boston.

Since then, I stay for the customer service and now, the expanding presence at LAX.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: DL PM; SPG Platinum; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Diamond; UA Silver
For domestic trips:

Based in ATL.
Better experience at ATL DTW MSP compared to ORD EWR DFW.
Crews always try hard to ensure on time departure.

For international trips:
A350!
Strong SkyTeam presence in mainland China, where I commute twice a year. I can redeem SM on China domestic flight by China Eastern, China Southern and Xiamen Airlines for a very cheap price for both economy and first.
SkyTeam elite plus got me recognition in domestic China flights and even one upgrade to first on China Eastern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.