Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

8/15/17 at MSP....more guns around and spot-checking cell phones

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.

First time I've ever seen shotgun carrying security in the tram area. In addition, TSA doing secondary screening of cell phones. What's up?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RRDD
First time I've ever seen shotgun carrying security in the tram area. In addition, TSA doing secondary screening of cell phones. What's up?
I noticed an uptick in security last week as well. Semi-automatic rifle carrying airport police officers in the unsecured area. I noted similar in NYC last week too, but assumed it was just a New York City thing.

So far, I haven't seen the secondary cellphone screening, but I visit MSP and DCA tomorrow and will be on the lookout.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I didn't notice anything during the last five days or so, but I used CLEAR and PreCheck.

What sort of secondary screening of cell phones was happening? With computers/notebooks, people are sometimes asked to turn them on, so for a cell phone, is the requirement to place a call? Or are they specifically swabbing the cell phone for explosives and not doing this to other items? [Could the theory be that people touch their phones more than their luggage, so the handling of explosives is more likely to be detected? Or is there some specific concern about phones being used to set off bombs in checked luggage or air cargo?]
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
...Or are they specifically swabbing the cell phone for explosives and not doing this to other items?....
​​​​​​​This
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Must be related to the previous intel about potential use of portable devices as bombs... maybe a recent uptick in activity among terrorist groups so the added security and screening.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
so for a cell phone, is the requirement to place a call? Or is there some specific concern about phones being used to set off bombs in checked luggage or air cargo?]
If TSA suspects a phone is set up as a remote bomb trigger, then forcing a person to make a call on that phone at the checkpoint is about the dumbist thing I have ever heard of. "An unsafe action" does not even begin to describe it.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
I didn't notice anything during the last five days or so, but I used CLEAR and PreCheck.

What sort of secondary screening of cell phones was happening? With computers/notebooks, people are sometimes asked to turn them on, so for a cell phone, is the requirement to place a call? Or are they specifically swabbing the cell phone for explosives and not doing this to other items? [Could the theory be that people touch their phones more than their luggage, so the handling of explosives is more likely to be detected? Or is there some specific concern about phones being used to set off bombs in checked luggage or air cargo?]
I certainly hope not, since roaming costs so much on Canadian carriers...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:22 am

I was randomly selected (out of the PreCheck line) a few weeks ago at LAX for a cell phone swabbing.

The TSA agent asked only if I had a cell phone in my bag. That's all he was interested in and all that he swabbed. He did not swab my iPad.

It appeared to be directed solely at detecting explosive residue on the phone. There was no inspection of the phone nor any request to turn it on, make calls, etc.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I had my computer swabbed in TPA last Friday. Several people on Monday morning DFW Terminal A in precheck got a random shoe swab screening (me included).
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Last Thursday at 6am in MSP. North Security. I usually use Precheck or Clear. From those we merged with the regular line. Then we were all routed past the dog on the far north end. Upon passing the dog we broke up into the separate lines again.

had not seen that before...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPSKI
Last Thursday at 6am in MSP. North Security. I usually use Precheck or Clear. From those we merged with the regular line. Then we were all routed past the dog on the far north end. Upon passing the dog we broke up into the separate lines again.

had not seen that before...
Routing queues past the dog is a procedure used by TSA during MSP peaks like spring break to speed up the lines and allow more folks quicker screening. This summer has been unusually busy at MSP with peaks just as high or higher than this year's spring break, according to MAC (M&O committee meeting Aug 7).
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Nice that all these other airports get decent security, but the DCA checkpoints usually have at most a few regular police officers.

Maybe they just have really good concealed security, but I've always wondered about DCA.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Aug 15, 2017 at 5:07 pm
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
More security theater from the worst actors on the planet. Last week I got a random beep walking through the metal detector and the guy said I was randomly chosen to go through the nudoscope. I told him they can give me the full body massage. They didn't seem too happy about that. It's a shame that even with precheck I have to allocate extra time to deal with these morons.
sunil and hockeystl like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
If TSA suspects a phone is set up as a remote bomb trigger, then forcing a person to make a call on that phone at the checkpoint is about the dumbist thing I have ever heard of. "An unsafe action" does not even begin to describe it.
Let's not forget that since TSA security at MSP was reconfigured more than a year and a half ago, the lines have been huge. Just having so many people trapped in line waiting for TSA airport security procedures is itself a risk.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Let's not forget that since TSA security at MSP was reconfigured more than a year and a half ago, the lines have been huge. Just having so many people trapped in line waiting for TSA airport security procedures is itself a risk.
My God, it's already been that long. At this point I think time is scaring me more than anything here.

Definitely worth keeping mind. Also I never understood, couldn't the checkpoint be one elaborate target. I mean after all it's a group of slow moving people crammed into a small corridor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.