Search

Mileage Run and Security

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Mileage Run and Security

Hi all,

I'm planning a mileage run (ALB -> DTW -> LAX -> ATL -> ALB) - it is booked as a round-trip flight from ALB -> LAX, meaning that the trip is showing up as two separate segments (ALB->DTW->LAX.... and LAX->ATL->ALB). Since I don't plan on leaving the airport at LAX, if I stay in the sterile area, do I have to go through security again in LAX, since technically I'm checking in for a new leg? Or can I just head right from my arrival gate at LAX to my departure gate?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:13 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
You do not have to re-clear security. If you need paper boarding passes that can be handled airside.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
You won't have to exit and reenter security at LAX.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Hi all,

I'm planning a mileage run (ALB -> DTW -> LAX -> ATL -> ALB) - it is booked as a round-trip flight from ALB -> LAX, meaning that the trip is showing up as two separate segments (ALB->DTW->LAX.... and LAX->ATL->ALB). Since I don't plan on leaving the airport at LAX, if I stay in the sterile area, do I have to go through security again in LAX, since technically I'm checking in for a new leg? Or can I just head right from my arrival gate at LAX to my departure gate?
No you will not have to exit and reclear security at LAX. When you checkin at ALB, the kiosk may even print off your boarding passes for your return. If the kiosk doesn't print them, there are still kiosks post security where you'll be able to print your return segment boarding passes.

Depending on how long you have at LAX though, it may be worth leaving the secure side and heading over to In N Out for a burger.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
...do I have to go through security again in LAX, since technically I'm checking in for a new leg? ...
As others have stated, you absolutely do not have to leave the secure area, but I'm curious what made you think that you might?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CJKatl
As others have stated, you absolutely do not have to leave the secure area, but I'm curious what made you think that you might?
Since the TSA agents scan your boarding pass on your phone, I didn't know if that was some sort of internal way of letting the airline know you've cleared security or not (since you sometimes hear PA announcements at airports about customers needing "to proceed through the nearest security checkpoint for boarding")
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:39 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Since the TSA agents scan your boarding pass on your phone, I didn't know if that was some sort of internal way of letting the airline know you've cleared security or not (since you sometimes hear PA announcements at airports about customers needing "to proceed through the nearest security checkpoint for boarding")
Those TSA scanners only read the bar code on the boarding pass. There is no communication with the scanner and any airline system.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks all!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
When you checkin at ALB, the kiosk may even print off your boarding passes for your return. If the kiosk doesn't print them, there are still kiosks post security where you'll be able to print your return segment boarding passes.
Highly unlikely. You cannot check in for the return segment until the first segment has been completed.

Upon arrival at LAX proceed to an air-side kiosk and you can check in for your return flight. You can also ask a gate agent to do this for you but be prepared for a confused look and a "how did you get to this point w/o a boarding pass?" Usually a simple i'm on a MR and I just got off flight from XXX will easily clear things up.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mridley2
Highly unlikely. You cannot check in for the return segment until the first segment has been completed.

Upon arrival at LAX proceed to an air-side kiosk and you can check in for your return flight. You can also ask a gate agent to do this for you but be prepared for a confused look and a "how did you get to this point w/o a boarding pass?" Usually a simple i'm on a MR and I just got off flight from XXX will easily clear things up.
Well you say "highly unlikely" yet I've had it happen several times during same day mileage runs. The kiosk has even prompted it with a message along the lines of "you have additional segments - would you like to check in and get boarding passes for these flights too?"
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I would just keep the boarding pass on the app on your phone...
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Thanks for answering. It's always interesting to find out what others think.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by mridley2

If the return trip is within the 24hr window....doesn't the kiosk ask if you want to check in for the return flight thereby being checked in for both?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
..Depending on how long you have at LAX though, it may be worth leaving the secure side and heading over to In N Out for a burger.
I did that a few years ago...took the "spot" parking shuttle (which is/was next to the In N Out, and then walked back).

Double-Double, fries, and milk shake...enough calories for the whole day...but man it was good!!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hi55us
I would just keep the boarding pass on the app on your phone...
Yes... but NOT only in the app. Add all you can to the 'wallet' or screen cap them. The app might not get service. Might have an issue. All kinds of things have happened. It's not 100% reliable and I certainly would not have it be my only method internationally.

I'd also ask for them in paper as well. Use the phone because it likely will work but have a backup.

And to confirm. Don't need to leave. I did a turn in Singapore and just go to a desk/kiosk and they can print the remainder of your boarding passes and check you in for what is needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.