Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Which Middle Seat on Delta Comfort+ on Int'l Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Hello, I booked a ticket last minute in Delta Comfort+ in a 777 and was wondering which middle seat would you choose as that is all that is available? One on the side of the plane or the middle section? Also, been checking frequently for any other non-middles seats to become available for assignment. From your experiences do other seatsopen up as time gets closer? Flight is in 2 weeks. Thanks for the assistance!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:10 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Hello, I booked a ticket last minute in Delta Comfort+ in a 777 and was wondering which middle seat would you choose as that is all that is available? One on the side of the plane or the middle section? Also, been checking frequently for any other non-middles seats to become available for assignment. From your experiences do other seatsopen up as time gets closer? Flight is in 2 weeks. Thanks for the assistance!
A few months ago I booked a flight on a 777 a week before. All C+ seats were taken, so I had to take a random seat in the back. As departure came closer, I was able to snag an aisle seat in C+, and just an hour or so before departure a window seat in the bulkhead became available.

People change plans, get upgraded, and misses flights all the time, so you definitely might have a chance to get a better seat.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are always business travelers whose plans change at the last minute. Also, some DMs might be upgraded to D1 with GUCs, possibly freeing up some good C+ seats especially on routes where they get C+ seats/upgrades for free.

Unless you like to look out the window (but note that the passenger in the window seat controls the shade), I'd pick a middle seat in the center section to avoid having to move when the person in the window seat wants out (or having the window seat passenger try to crawl over you).

Unless the flight is lightly booked and has few nonrevs, you should expect every seat in C+ to be filled at the gate, either with "upgrades" or nonrevs who don't get D1 seats.

It might help to know the route and day of the week.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! I switched to the middle section middle seat for now. I am looking at HND-MSP on a Saturday. I would assume the most coveted Econ+ seats are the middle section aisles so that you can get up when you please and only maybe having one person needing to get out in the middle vs. two? I don't think I want a bulkhead seat at all as I noticed the IFE is very far from the seats.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Unless you like to look out the window (but note that the passenger in the window seat controls the shade), I'd pick a middle seat in the center section to avoid having to move when the person in the window seat wants out (or having the window seat passenger try to crawl over you).
Also the middle middle gives you opportunities to get out in either direction, should one of your seatmates get up ...
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Also the middle middle gives you opportunities to get out in either direction, should one of your seatmates get up ...
Good point since the DL 777 is 3-3-3 in coach.

However, if we're looking for an argument in favor of the middle seat close to a window, I suspect that couples are more likely to pick window and aisle rather than aisle and aisle if they're hoping for an empty middle seat. Some of them would then offer to swap with the middle seat occupant.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Good point since the DL 777 is 3-3-3 in coach.

However, if we're looking for an argument in favor of the middle seat close to a window, I suspect that couples are more likely to pick window and aisle rather than aisle and aisle if they're hoping for an empty middle seat. Some of them would then offer to swap with the middle seat occupant.
Ohh that is a good point but I don't think I can count on that. I think all things equal which is how something should be speculated the middle section is better. Hopefully though doesn't have to come to it and a non-middle opens up!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Ohh that is a good point but I don't think I can count on that. I think all things equal which is how something should be speculated the middle section is better. Hopefully though doesn't have to come to it and a non-middle opens up!
Keep watching the seat maps. You can also set seat alerts (email notification) on EF, but we don't know how often EF checks, especially until departure time approaches, so it can be worthwhile to check yourself when possible too.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Not to change the subject, but the middle section is also my strategy for J when it is 2X3X2

I get an aisle in the middle section rather than the 2:

Greater chance of empty seat

If someone has the middle, only 50% chance they have to get past me as opposed to 100% if on the 2 side

Last flight on AF guy the middle slept and NEVER got up the entire flight

I have 2 on AF coming up; on one J is completely full so I am hoping the middle is with the other aisle (party of 2) and on the way back all the middles are currently empty

BTW, if faced with the OP's situation I would take a bulkhead middle even if the avod was not as good
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
I would pick middle middle on 3-3-3. You won't get disturbed and you can pick your victim.

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Not to change the subject, but the middle section is also my strategy for J when it is 2X3X2
OMG!!!!!! 2-3-2 J
OMG!!!!!! 2-3-2 J
OMG!!!!!! 2-3-2 J

Look at how airlines are screwing PAX in the days of 1-2-1 J. That is ONLY 2 seats fewer then Y.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
I would pick middle middle on 3-3-3. You won't get disturbed and you can pick your victim.

OMG!!!!!! 2-3-2 J
OMG!!!!!! 2-3-2 J
OMG!!!!!! 2-3-2 J

Look at how airlines are screwing PAX in the days of 1-2-1 J. That is ONLY 2 seats fewer then Y.
Then you need to avoid a lot of partner flights: depending on the aircraft type, AF, KLM, KE, etc. To add insult to injury, some of the AF aircraft have slanted flat seats while IIRC KLM still has some of the hard shell WBC recliners that we knew and loved from the PMNW days (and nights).

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 10, 2017 at 11:28 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy

I get an aisle in the middle section rather than the 2:

Greater chance of empty seat

If someone has the middle, only 50% chance they have to get past me as opposed to 100% if on the 2 side

Last flight on AF guy the middle slept and NEVER got up the entire flight

I have 2 on AF coming up; on one J is completely full so I am hoping the middle is with the other aisle (party of 2) and on the way back all the middles are currently empty

BTW, if faced with the OP's situation I would take a bulkhead middle even if the avod was not as good
They you need to avoid a lot of partner flights: depending on the aircraft type, AF, KLM, KE, etc. To add insult to injury, some of the AF aircraft have slanted flat seats while IIRC KLM still has some of the hard shell WBC recliners that we knew and loved from the PMNW days (and nights).
I know, AF seems to think leisure routes have NO business traffic.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
I know, AF seems to think leisure routes have NO business traffic.
Like MSP-CDG with slanty flat seats in the 2-3-2 configuration? No way would I voluntarily take that flight.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:02 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
The problem with the 2-3-2 configuration in J and the strategy mentioned above is that I rarely see AF flights going with empty seats. I was flying CDG-JFK a few years ago and used the same strategy. The middle seat was still open by the time the door was closed. I fell asleep while waiting to push back, only to wake up and find a stranger girl next to me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.