Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Navigating in and out of DTW for the First Time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member

In all of my years flying NW/DL, this week was the first time I ever ventured outside of DTW. I had work in Midland and the flight was $1260 but only a little over $600 to fly to DTW so I picked that (and I was upgraded for both legs because the aircraft actually had F cabins) flight instead.

I'm in the Skyclub right now. I checked my bag at the Silver Elite counter. The dragon asked me if I was silver and I pointed to my DM tag. Then the TA asked if I was Silver and I said I'm Diamond actually. She thanked me for my Platinum status after she gave me my BP and baggage ticket. I then went to the Clear line. The "dragon" there said, "Mr. Yohanson, you are PreCheck also. You need to go the the PreCheck Clear line." I was able to make it into the SC at least without looking like a moron.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Um, ok
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta PM
If you are not a silver, why would you go to silver bag drop off counter..? The SP counter is literally the other side of security
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Originally Posted by yohanson
In all of my years flying NW/DL, this week was the first time I ever ventured outside of DTW. I had work in Midland and the flight was $1260 but only a little over $600 to fly to DTW so I picked that (and I was upgraded for both legs because the aircraft actually had F cabins) flight instead.

I'm in the Skyclub right now. I checked my bag at the Silver Elite counter. The dragon asked me if I was silver and I pointed to my DM tag. Then the TA asked if I was Silver and I said I'm Diamond actually. She thanked me for my Platinum status after she gave me my BP and baggage ticket. I then went to the Clear line. The "dragon" there said, "Mr. Yohanson, you are PreCheck also. You need to go the the PreCheck Clear line." I was able to make it into the SC at least without looking like a moron.
This is perhaps the dumbest post I've ever read on this forum.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Did you perhaps have a few (too many) drinks in the SkyClub???
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
DTW is one of the best airports in the world I think... In fact it is featured in the movie "Up in the Air" with George Clooney in a moment that does not show Detroit, and the old Smith or Dewey Terminal is used to represent Detroit... If I were the Governor, I'd have wanted the film incentive money back...

Hope you're enjoying your time in the sky club... I believe Michigan state law limits the self-service alcoholic beverages to two only...
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by Crossinator
If you are not a silver, why would you go to silver bag drop off counter..? The SP counter is literally the other side of security
It said Silver Medallion and below it said Elite, just like in small airports where they group everyone together.

Originally Posted by kss5555
This is perhaps the dumbest post I've ever read on this forum.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Did you perhaps have a few (too many) drinks in the SkyClub???
No, not at all. And, there was no alcohol involved checking a bag and going through security.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Anyhoo, in the 15 years I have been traveling through DTW and having left every other Delta hub on foot or ground transportation, this was the first time I ever left DTW. I've been DM since 2011. I find that rather remarkable as well as the kettle mistakes I made today while being sober as the proverbial judge.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by yohanson
Anyhoo, in the 15 years I have been traveling through DTW and having left every other Delta hub on foot or ground transportation, this was the first time I ever left DTW. I've been DM since 2011. I find that rather remarkable as well as the kettle mistakes I made today while being sober as the proverbial judge.
Bro, I still have no idea what you're talking about.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Navig8R
Um, ok
It's all good brother. I'm used to player hating!
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by cfabar1
DTW is one of the best airports in the world I think... In fact it is featured in the movie "Up in the Air" with George Clooney in a moment that does not show Detroit, and the old Smith or Dewey Terminal is used to represent Detroit... If I were the Governor, I'd have wanted the film incentive money back...

Hope you're enjoying your time in the sky club... I believe Michigan state law limits the self-service alcoholic beverages to two only...
Didn't Up in the Air show the inside of the McNamara terminal? I remember he was flying American and I thought they showed the inside of the wrong terminal.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think you're right, but IMO the more memorable airport in that movie was the outside of STL, where he was taking the picture with the cardboard cutout of his future brother in law. It was built to be a TWA airport and of course AA had bought out TWA's assets long before the movie was made.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think you're right, but IMO the more memorable airport in that movie was the outside of STL, where he was taking the picture with the cardboard cutout of his future brother in law. It was built to be a TWA airport and of course AA had bought out TWA's assets long before the movie was made.
They also did some filming in the closed Berry terminal at DTW. McNamara was just used for the promotional photo shoots --

http://wikimapia.org/608970/Michael-Berry-Terminal

(By the way, the airport commission has since decided to build new administrative offices next to the North Terminal and the Berry terminal is now slated for demolition).

Last edited by xliioper; Aug 3, 2017 at 11:46 pm
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey OP, next time try the Westin TSA entrance. No Clear or Pre-check, but there is almost never a wait and I find the bamboo forest in the Westin to be quite soothing.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
Hey OP, next time try the Westin TSA entrance. No Clear or Pre-check, but there is almost never a wait and I find the bamboo forest in the Westin to be quite soothing.
IME they do "PreCheck lite."

I always wonder what the Westin will do when those bamboo trees grow up, but the last time I was there I saw a team pruning them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.