Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to Start MCO-AMS on 3/30/18

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
LH has been doing MCO-FRA for about 10 years now and the demand has been so high that it has been UGd to a 747 year round.
i believe that flight is on a 744, and if i recall, LH removed F on those birds. so i doubt the premium traffic is that high on that route.

with that said, good for DL for trying this. AMS would fill a gap. interesting to see how this does.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by TBD
And apparently MCO-TPA?

Even back then, no one wanted to drive on I-4....
Indeed there was. I flew it once or twice from TPA-MCO. It was operated by Delta Express at the time and continued on to either BOS or BDL (I forget which one). I4 isn't THAT bad anymore, so long as no accidents. And they left room for the high speed rail that the governor flippantly ignored voters and refused federal dollars to help build.

It was a long time ago, late 90s, so I don't remember specifics but I think the pilot joked that he was turning the seatbelt sign off for three minutes....

There was also the FLL-TPA that continued on to LAX and vice versa.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by Bagels
thus far I'm the only poster who's provided data.
You sure?
Originally Posted by Navig8R
Interesting. I met a nice family from the UK in Naples, FL. this April traveling over their Easter Break (their version of Spring Break). The Netherlands has Spring Break spanning over Feb. 18th-Mar. 5th (depending on the region of the country). Feel free to peruse the site below proving information on school holidays for the EU, most of which have Sping Break in the March-April time frame.

https://www.schoolholidayseurope.eu/
Still waiting for you to respond about Europeans not having spring break.
So I ask you this: please provide some hard data showing that Orlando is a large, premium market and/or some data that shows Orlando's a large international convention market (as opposed to a large domestic convention market). (At that point, I'll share a 2014 UCF study that supports my claim).
By all means, prove me wrong! I come here to learn new things so if you have a report covering this very subject from UCF, I'd love to see it. BTW, I completely agree with you that Orlando is not a premium market, which is the exact reason why Delta, in theory, would be sending a 767-300ER on this route.

In any event, all this for something that's just a rumor at this point, yet everybody's accepted it as face.
This thread is certainly all over the place. I heard from my mother's best friend's sister's uncle that...Would be cool if this came to fruition though.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
An update to all of this. Just spoke to my freind who works for DL in MCO and heard that a public announcement should be released on Saturday.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
An update to all of this. Just spoke to my freind who works for DL in MCO and heard that a public announcement should be released on Saturday.
Does your friend know you're posting this information to a public forum? If these rumors are true, you could be inadvertently putting your friend in a tight spot with Delta.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which will include the announcement that the route will be served with a A321 and include 4 fuel stops.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I wonder if the addition of a buildup at MCO is related to this:
https://orlandoairports.net/press/20...ign-benchmark/
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Navig8R
Does your friend know you're posting this information to a public forum? If these rumors are true, you could be inadvertently putting your friend in a tight spot with Delta.
Yes they do. I don't see why this would be putting this person in a "tight spot with DL". This information is pretty much finalized and with the recent leak of DLs proposal to take away the AMEX MQD waiver away from DMs.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by TomMM
Which will include the announcement that the route will be served with a A321 and include 4 fuel stops.
Why would they run it with an A321? Has DL run out of CRJ200s?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Why would they run it with an A321? Has DL run out of CRJ200s?
A CRJ outfitted with 8-10 D1 seats wouldn't be a bad way to cross the ocean.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
A CRJ outfitted with 8-10 D1 seats wouldn't be a bad way to cross the ocean.
Maybe, with a larger lav.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Silver Meteor
If you look at that chart, there are a lot of cities on there. Most of those cities, DL never flew to non-stop from MCO.

Delta may have flown MCO to ORY, one-stop, but they never flew non-stop. If you look across at the ORY row, they are no numbers in those rows that show any flights ever non-stop. On the other hand, look at the Atlanta row. That row has numbers all across the board.

The early 1990 flight timetables do indeed show MCO-ORY with ONE flight number, but there is a note, that a change of planes is involved.

Until the November 1, 1991 purchase of Pan-Am, Delta flew across the Atlantic from ATL and CVG only. After the purchase, they flew across the Atlantic from numerous cities. Like I said earlier, they did fly briefly to FRA from MCO, but never non-stop from MCO to either Paris airport.

The only exception would be if you were on a one-time charter. But there was nothing regular.
Any further comments?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Any further comments?
I can confirm that DL did fly MCO-ORY, I asked my friend who has worked for DL in MCO since the early 90s and they confirmed that DL DID fly MCO-ORY.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I can confirm that DL did fly MCO-ORY, I asked my friend who has worked for DL in MCO since the early 90s and they confirmed that DL DID fly MCO-ORY.
THANK YOU....this person needs to stop talking about what they know nothing about.

I do not make things up.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
For people saying MCO has no premium traffic: I know plenty of corporate events/public events that are too large for any city other than MCO or LAS that draw hundreds or thousands of people, most of whom fly first/business. Yes, there are plenty of tourists, but don't underestimate business conventions.

I know AMS is one of the largest European destinations from MCO. There should be enough passengers for this flight as well. BA's London flight is from LGW, not LHR, so there is little if any transfer traffic. Aer Lingus and Norwegian's flights aren't daily, so their main competitors for transfer traffic are the struggling Air Berlin and Lufthansa... so pretty much Lufthansa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.