Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to Start MCO-AMS on 3/30/18

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Silver Meteor
Delta never flew MCO to any Paris airport. Their one and only Trans-Atlantic flight was the above mentioned MCO-FRA from 1991 to sometime after the summer 1996 season.

Their may have been MCO to Paris service, but it was not Delta.
Yes, they did. MCO-ORY and I was on it with my family:

http://www.departedflights.com/DLMCOhub.html
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
There was never DL service to CDG from MCO however there was AF service to CDG that didn't last very long from 2011-2012.
They did in fact fly MCO-ORY.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Bagels
The date's suspect -- April's a slow month across the pond into MCO - .
So slow that when my daughter came in April DL put an extra flight on to supplement the 747s from VS- sorry for that. It is one of the busiest months actually.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:45 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
And apparently MCO-TPA?

Even back then, no one wanted to drive on I-4....
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Well, Orlando comes in ahead of Portland in the SMSA rankings and PDX-AMS has been around a while...

Though Miami (and Tampa) beats both and there is no Delta or KLM MIA-AMS/TPA-AMS so who knows what the logic is if not Disney.
3/30 is roughly the start of the IATA summer season. It's often the date Delta starts new TATL service. So it makes sense.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
#2 ) The date's suspect -- April's a slow month across the pond into MCO - a period (after winter, before summer) in which many flights operate in lower frequency and require deep discounts to sell. There is no grade school spring break / etc. to help sell as there is in the USA. If MCO-AMS were to happen, a May start date seems more logical.
Interesting. I met a nice family from the UK in Naples, FL. this April traveling over their Easter Break (their version of Spring Break). The Netherlands has Spring Break spanning over Feb. 18th-Mar. 5th (depending on the region of the country). Feel free to peruse the site below proving information on school holidays for the EU, most of which have Sping Break in the March-April time frame.

https://www.schoolholidayseurope.eu/
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: Retired. Amtrak, DL (2MM, Signed up for DL FF program 2nd day offered 8/81), Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
If you look at that chart, there are a lot of cities on there. Most of those cities, DL never flew to non-stop from MCO.

Delta may have flown MCO to ORY, one-stop, but they never flew non-stop. If you look across at the ORY row, they are no numbers in those rows that show any flights ever non-stop. On the other hand, look at the Atlanta row. That row has numbers all across the board.

The early 1990 flight timetables do indeed show MCO-ORY with ONE flight number, but there is a note, that a change of planes is involved.

Until the November 1, 1991 purchase of Pan-Am, Delta flew across the Atlantic from ATL and CVG only. After the purchase, they flew across the Atlantic from numerous cities. Like I said earlier, they did fly briefly to FRA from MCO, but never non-stop from MCO to either Paris airport.

The only exception would be if you were on a one-time charter. But there was nothing regular.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Spoken like someone that has never tried to go from Northern Europe to anywhere sunny over Easter.
No, I just enjoy facts. From April into May, Atlantic enplanements grew by about 7% this year -- which is about half the pacing it typically grows at, a derivative of new service. 2017 is likely an outlier, as it's placing downward pressure on fares and not likely sustainable in the long-term. That said, even at 7%, it's still quite a jump.

Originally Posted by RobertS975
There is an understandable tendency to always equate the MCO market with leisure theme park traffic. It is also a very popular international convention destination as well as an ever increasing cruise port over at Port Canaveral.
Orlando is a low-yielding, leisure-orientated market. Its development into a large convention market (domestic, very little is international) goes hand-and-hand with the theme park traffic. For example, E&Y moved seminars for many of its employees from its own Chicagoland facility to Orlando, simply because it determined they were more engaged (they looked forward to being in Orlando, and many could bring their families which limited the sting of being away from home for a week). And in the process, they saved millions on air & hotel since Orlando is a much cheaper market.

At the end of the day, MCO is a volume-driven market with amongst the lowest fares in the nation and that doesn't bond well for premium-heavy 767.

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
DL has always been pretty open (with in reason) with employees. Generally they don't put it in writing as much but at things like pilots meetings with Steve Dickerson they let out some information.
Also station managers would know about something like this pretty quickly, gotta give the company/station time to add any additional staff, vendors, get gates etc. etc. etc.

Having said that, if you are friends with someone in the know, its not very smart to come running to Flyertalk with it. Delta makes it pretty clear they don't want internal info like that released before they want it released......
DL has never shared proprietary information with menial employees. The control of information has long been a struggle for most companies and the presence of social media has magnified that plight. Case in point -- if this rumor proves to be true, the employee (who probably heard about it from station management, who didn't intend for her to share it) inadvertently got it all over FlyerTalk.

While it may not seem like a big deal to you, it is a big deal for DL as it lost control over the flow of information.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
At the end of the day, MCO is a volume-driven market with amongst the lowest fares in the nation and that doesn't bond well for premium-heavy 767.
How is the 763 premium heavy? Your thoughts in recent post on this topic suggested that DL use a 764 or a 333 with the 764 having the most D1 seats behind the 747 with 40 J seats. DL has a 26J 763 which by no means is premium heavy as it has the least amount of J seats in any DL widebody.

DL has never shared proprietary information with menial employees. The control of information has long been a struggle for most companies and the presence of social media has magnified that plight. Case in point -- if this rumor proves to be true, the employee (who probably heard about it from station management, who didn't intend for her to share it) inadvertently got it all over FlyerTalk.

While it may not seem like a big deal to you, it is a big deal for DL as it lost control over the flow of information.
First of all, this was shared with the employees by a brefing given by the new manager that just started in MCO. Secondly, if they already have a start date and aircraft set up this is pretty much finalized and probably wating for some final steps to announce publicly. If DL needed to keep this information private than this would have never been shared with all of the employees. Many posters here on FT have posted information given to them by DL employers that has not been public yet. One of the most notable examples is the AMEX MQD waiver going away for DMs which was leaked by Renespoints.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TBD
And apparently MCO-TPA?

Even back then, no one wanted to drive on I-4....
Seriously? Would they even put the gear up for a flight that short?!
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Makes sense in this economy... MCO (and LAX) are two cities that Delta just has to make up its mind about.
Delta has made its mind up about LAX, and is grabbing whatever real estate LAWA will offer.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL's 763ER are premium heavy; this doesn't bond well in a leisure orientated market like MCO.

When was the last time you flew TATL from MCO? Living in JAX I occasionally drive to MCO for a TATL trip and my observations have show that those leisure people like the comforts of premium flight.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Silver Meteor
If you look at that chart, there are a lot of cities on there. Most of those cities, DL never flew to non-stop from MCO.

Delta may have flown MCO to ORY, one-stop, but they never flew non-stop. If you look across at the ORY row, they are no numbers in those rows that show any flights ever non-stop. On the other hand, look at the Atlanta row. That row has numbers all across the board.

The early 1990 flight timetables do indeed show MCO-ORY with ONE flight number, but there is a note, that a change of planes is involved.

Until the November 1, 1991 purchase of Pan-Am, Delta flew across the Atlantic from ATL and CVG only. After the purchase, they flew across the Atlantic from numerous cities. Like I said earlier, they did fly briefly to FRA from MCO, but never non-stop from MCO to either Paris airport.

The only exception would be if you were on a one-time charter. But there was nothing regular.
More evidence you don't know what you're talking about. It was a short lived route, but it did operate and was non-stop as the prior link I shared showed it operating in June of 1992:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...-orlando-delta

DL even took out an ad in the Sentinel promoting the non-stop flight:

http://orlandosentinel.newspapers.co...aris+june+1992
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Orlando is a low-yielding, leisure-orientated market. Its development into a large convention market (domestic, very little is international)
Then explain to me how I personally acquired over 40 business cards from foreign nationals at two conferences I attended in Orlando last year? There are over 600 conferences/trade shows per year in the Orlando area. It would be great if you provided evidence towards your claims, because you've been wrong about spring break in European schools and the make-up of conference attendees in Orlando.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Navig8R
Then explain to me how I personally acquired over 40 business cards from foreign nationals at two conferences I attended in Orlando last year? There are over 600 conferences/trade shows per year in the Orlando area. It would be great if you provided evidence towards your claims, because you've been wrong about spring break in European schools and the make-up of conference attendees in Orlando.
Wrong, even though I subsequently provided data that supported my claim?

Interestingly, in an arena in which several posters have made "outrageous" claims more worth of airliners.net than FlyerTalk -- 'I often fly from MCO and I can assure you it's filled with premium traffic, etc.' -- thus far I'm the only poster who's provided data. So I ask you this: please provide some hard data showing that Orlando is a large, premium market and/or some data that shows Orlando's a large international convention market (as opposed to a large domestic convention market). (At that point, I'll share a 2014 UCF study that supports my claim).

In any event, all this for something that's just a rumor at this point, yet everybody's accepted it as face.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.