Wiki Posts
Search

Best ATL Connection You've Ever Had??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Best ATL Connection You've Ever Had??

We all love to lament the traversing of ATL. It could be weather. Mechanical. Waits for gates/takeoffs/whatever. Sometimes positive--- good Sky Club Experience. Visit to One Flew South. Short Walks. Porsche Rides! Etc, etc.....

So here's a positive thread: What's your BEST (or most recently best) experience navigating ATL?

I'll start. Last flights headed MEM-ATL-PHL and landed at B7 w/ 50 min connection only to also leave from B7. Never had same gate, same plane (in ATL) before. That made it easy!

What's yours?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
PBI-ATL-BNA had a 37 minute connection. Can't remember the gate numbers but landed at B and ATL-BNA was leaving from the gate next door.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
My best has to be while headed home for Christmas last year. It was one of those uncommonly warm winter ATL nights, nice enough where I could brave the SkyDeck during my layover and enjoy a nice glass of (free, premium - thanks Amex!) wine under the stars. Combine that with the always positive afterglow of a meal at OFS, and for a brief few moments everything was right with the world...
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I've done the same plane change, too. It's easy, and you don't have to worry about running late.

Sorry to go negative, but my worst is pretty entertaining. It was at DTW. There were five of us changing planes to GRR. We landed about 45 minutes before the next flight, which was taking off from the next gate. Unfortunately, the door to our plane would not open or the Jetway didn't move right. We were stuck on our plane. We watched the next flight board, the door close and the plane push back while we were still on the first plane. All in all, it wasn't too bad, as they were able to accommodate us all on the next flight an hour or so later, but it was still frustrating to watch.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:51 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I had the same bird from MEM-ATL and ATL-RDU last month. The only other time that happened to me was late 2001, about two weeks after 9/11, MHT-CVG and CVG-MEM.

November of last year I had MEM-ATL arrive at T4, ATL-DCA at T5.

In 2015 I had MEM-ATL pull into a B gate and my ATL-AUS flight at the adjacent gate. However, due to wx delays I saw my AUS gate pushing back as we pulled in. The next AUS flight was at the same gate, though!
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by apodo77
PBI-ATL-BNA had a 37 minute connection. Can't remember the gate numbers but landed at B and ATL-BNA was leaving from the gate next door.
I went on a mileage run MCO-ATL-LAS-ATL-MCO nested into a longer MSP-MCO-MSP ticket a number of years ago and I had about an hour layover at ATL. I arrived at a B gate that was across from the Skyclub and my departure was from the next gate over. I got off the aircraft, walked to the Skyclub, had a couple of drinks and left when boarding started.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: DL PM, MR PP+A
I met Bill Murray in SC. He drinks house red and tips well.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:48 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I've had the next-door gate connection too.

A long time ago I had a 35-minute connection on AirTran that required me to go from the tip of one concourse to the tip of an adjacent concourse. I made it
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
uh....maybe not the best but an EPIC connection in ATL.

E16 >> B6
23 minutes from landing to scheduled takeoff
thankfully, I was sitting exit row on the incoming 757 and literally took off in full sprint with only a rollaboard and purse. chose to travel in my sporty shoes that night, which ended up being a good call.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:46 pm

I had a same gate, same plane, same FC seat connection once. Had to get off and reboard though.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:27 pm

Dumb luck the other night IND-ATL-PHX
Severe weather at IND kept us on the tarmac over an hour and was resigned to missing my connecting flight.
Was about to agree to the Delta app rebooking until I saw IND-ATL and ATL-PHX was the same gate and plane.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by CJKatl
We landed about 45 minutes before the next flight, which was taking off from the next gate.
I get nervous when planes take off from the gate. I feel safer with pilots who take off from the runway.

Minimum connect time, plane running late. Arrived at ATL C terminal and found my connection was directly across from my arrival gate.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Tom45
I had a same gate, same plane, same FC seat connection once. Had to get off and reboard though.
I have had at least one same gate, same plane, same crew (but, not same seat) connection in ATL.

This partially made up for the time that I was on one of the farcical "direct" flights that required a change of planes in ATL... only to have the outbound DL xyz flight depart before my late-arriving inbound DL xyz flight landed.

Generally, my best ATL connections are the ones that go PHL-DTW-destination.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:38 pm

Negative 10 minute connection

I'm an employee Non Rev so we can book connections that are not legal for normal sale. I once arrived from PLS (international arrival) and made it on a connection to ORD that departed on time. It was scheduled to depart 10 minutes BEFORE my scheduled arrival into ATL.

I was in 1A, have global entry, security was empty after customs - literally not one person there, and my flight to ORD left from E16 or something, right at the top of the stairs after security from international.... Happens every once in a while....
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Flew MCO-ATL-DCA with a 45 min connection and got off the plane and realized the same plane was taking me to DCA. Almost had it happen in SLC one time but we had a last min gate change. The same crew that did my first flight did the second.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.