Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost cellphone on the airplane

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Lost cellphone on the airplane

So my trip is off to a bad start. After I was seated, my cellphone fell out from my pocket. There happened to be a big crack on the side (panel was missing between the side of the plane and the floor), so my phone fell right through it and no one could see it, reach it, or know exactly where is it. Crew had no idea what to do because they cannot disassemble the part of the plane near my seat.

What should I do? Am I covered by any trip protection by my credit card company (Chase Sapphire Reserve)? Or should I file a complaint with Delta because their poor maintenance of the plane caused of this? Looking for advice. Thanks.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:34 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the DL Forum
Thanks
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atldawg
..What should I do? Am I covered by any trip protection by my credit card company (Chase Sapphire Reserve)? Or should I file a complaint with Delta because their poor maintenance of the plane caused of this? Looking for advice. Thanks.
It was not DL who lost control of the phone. DL's maintenance had nothing to do with you dropping it.
It you get you phone back be thankful. Or just buy a new phone

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/201...ft_a_21625437/
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:22 pm

Might be something homeowner's/renter's insurance would cover--of course, if the cost of the phone is less than (or close to) your deductible, you might as well just get a new phone.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Check with your travel insurance. This has nothing to do with DL.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
It was not DL who lost control of the phone. DL's maintenance had nothing to do with you dropping it.
It you get you phone back be thankful. Or just buy a new phone

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/201...ft_a_21625437/
That's hilarious.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
Delta should have removed it for safety purposes (Li ion batteries are flammable). They should be able to return it to you after that.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This has nothing to do with DL. YOU dropped the phone, not DL. The fact that the phone did not land in a convenient place and that DL is not prepared to disassemble a multi-million dollar aircraft because YOU dropped the phone seems reasonable.

At this point, I would buy a new phone and check my travel insurance, homeowners, and anything else that might apply and see if the phone is covered.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Check and see if you have coverage through your cell provider. There could be a $99 deductible, but most carrier offer insurance unless you decline it.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by atldawg
What should I do? Am I covered by any trip protection by my credit card company (Chase Sapphire Reserve)? Or should I file a complaint with Delta because their poor maintenance of the plane caused of this? Looking for advice. Thanks.
1. that depends on your policy. ask them. Your negligence might be an exclusion though.

2. I hope you have already contacted DL - not to complain but to ask if they can find your phone.Give them all the details you can - flight and seat numner for starters.

You should have done 1 and 2 before posting on here.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Similar to your experience, there is a thread on the UA forum, that mentions mechanics taking seats apart "until they had to turn the plane around", and other stories. Unfortunately, nobody in the thread reported success.

Good luck - even homeowners policies often have exclusions on electronics unless they are covered (like cameras and other electronics) on a separate personal articles policy. Not to mention the deductible and possible loss of a claim-free discount would be way more than even the most expensive phone. Only, to my knowledge, the expensive insurance from the cellular companies covers theft and loss. Third parties like Squaretrade and Applecare only cover physical damage.

The worst thing to me, when I left my phone behind on a plane, was the loss of photos and data. Catch-22 in my case, as I had avoided using my pockets in flight, so it didn't fall into the seat, but rather I stupidly left it in a bin.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
If this is all true, I'm actually somewhat surprised the plane was allowed to depart with a known piece of FOD loose in the plane that no one knew where it was.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Not sure why everyone is yelling at the OP. The airline should have planes without holes into which things can be irretrievably lost. At least they can try to disassemble F seats..

Good luck OP! I'd push DL pretty hard. I'd bet your travel insurance would cover it, but YMMV.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Not sure why everyone is yelling at the OP. The airline should have planes without holes into which things can be irretrievably lost. At least they can try to disassemble F seats..

Good luck OP! I'd push DL pretty hard. I'd bet your travel insurance would cover it, but YMMV.
�� Not one poster is yelling at the OP. As with many post like this, we have one side of the story and no photos. IMO the title is incorrect. The phone is was not lost it was dropped and not recovered. Its not indicated if the OP has contacted the carrier.

The OP dropped his/her phone. That was the start of this chain of events.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Same

Lots of DL defenders. As expected.

Same happened to me on an AA Lax to JFK in F. Phone slid in hole under seat in front of me - where Michael Douglas was sitting. Airline was woefully incompetent- until they realized I was CK. Then I got a call a week later. They removed the seat and got my phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.