Wiki Posts
Search

Idaho Falls Airport for Eclipse?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Idaho Falls Airport for Eclipse?

How nuts is it to try to view the eclipse on August 21st at 11:35 AM near the Idaho Falls airport, and then get on to a Delta flight at 12:42 PM back to SLC, instead of spending many hours driving to and back home from this event? Thoughts?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by Uncle Lars
How nuts is it to try to view the eclipse on August 21st at 11:35 AM near the Idaho Falls airport, and then get on to a Delta flight at 12:42 PM back to SLC, instead of spending many hours driving to and back home from this event? Thoughts?
As long as your flight isn't delayed / cancelled . . .
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm wondering things like if one can get thru security in 45 minutes there, and if immediately outside the airport might allow viewing of the eclipse...
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
I live in nearby JAC and the airport has posted the following in their FAQ:
"The Airport may suspend airside operations for a half hour before totality and a half hour after totality. Impact to departure and arrival times for commercial aircraft should be minimal."
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:54 pm

OP I strongly considered doing this for RDM (Redmond, OR) airport so yeah, go for it. Flying in and out from Seattle for a few hours priced out much cheaper than the inflated/sold-out hotels. Ended up not doing it since I miraculously found an award hotel near Salem OR which I can drive to instead of flight cost.

Worst case, you might have to call and pay a $50 change fee to get on a later flight if you miss your 12:30pm flight (or, book a later flight anyways, make a whole day of it to go check out the Idaho Falls area, have lunch there post-eclipse etc).
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
If it's cloudy then you'll need a refund; wouldn't have that hassle in a car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.